Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIMs text edit

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jahed.ali
410 Views, 5 Replies

DIMs text edit

Hi All,

Poor software design!

1. There is no flexible text box on DIMs text
  2. There is no justification options
  3. There is no background mask

I have a suggestion for those who are busy on developing this software please ask the AutoCAD department for some help and direction because I think you don't know even the basics!!!!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jahed.ali
in reply to: jahed.ali

4. Also ther is no rotation on the text

Message 3 of 6
TimeraAutodesk

HI Jahed,

It sounds like you're trying to use Publisher as you would AutoCAD (or Inventor, or any other CAD software for that matter). Inventor Publisher leverages the CAD data produced by those programs, but is NOT a CAD program itself, so it will not act exactly like one. With that said, the dimension tool in Publisher is a little different than you'd see in AutoCAD, etc. but is powerful in this specific environment. To address your concerns, please see below.

1. There is no flexible text box on DIMs text - If you need more text, double click and a text box will appear where you can edit the dimension with any uinque text you'd like.
  2. There is no justification options - Correct, we do not support justification for any of our text at this time, but it is a development feature we are looking to address in the future
  3. There is no background mask - this is not a standard tool we have had requested by any of our customers, but I will add it to our development wish-list for review. Thank you for your input.
  4. No text Rotation - we do not support text rotation specifically, but you can Edit Plane and flip the directionality of the dimension with this glyph.

Thanks,

Timera Hart

Autodesk

Message 4 of 6
jahed.ali
in reply to: TimeraAutodesk

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, I am professional enough to understand and adjust my expectations when I am working with different software.

Why do you create boundaries around your business such as 'us' and 'them'? I faced to this issue many times when I open my mouth to criticize Inventor vs AutoCAD or Publisher vs AutoCAD or Inventor. Why don't you use the advantages of one software as a base for another?

It is obvious the logic of dimensioning in Publisher is not powerful for itself and in compare to the logic behind dimensioning in Inventor and AutoCAD. So instead of creating a funny logic just follow the case from other Autodesk software and don't raise your guard when somebody criticizes.

Unfortunately, sophism is not working on me. 

Cheers

Ali

Message 5 of 6
bobbi-mcam

Publisher was created so that "Non-CAD" users could work on technical documentation freeing up engineers to spend their time designing. 

Granted in a lot of companies, people have to wear many hats so pushing it off to a marketing person might not be an option, however it is easier for a CAD user to learn a "Non-CAD" program than the other way around. 

Message 6 of 6
jahed.ali
in reply to: bobbi-mcam

I understand that. I don't want to create a model or draw something in Publisher. What I am saying is, this software has plenty unsolved problems regardless of who wants to work with it, a CAD user or a Non-CAD user.

For instance 'Dimensioning' or put a Text Box somewhere or use Leaders and etc are not related to what you are talking about.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report