Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply a Material change to all storyboards at once? Publisher 2013

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dherman469
1178 Views, 9 Replies

Apply a Material change to all storyboards at once? Publisher 2013

Hello,

I have a file with several storyboards created.  I would like to change the material appearance for a component that is seen in all three storyboards.  However, I seem to only be able to change the component in one storyboard at a time.  In other words, changing the material of a component in one storyboard does not change it in the others.  Is there a way for me to modify the material appearance of a component in all storyboards at once? 

Daniel Hermanson

Spraying Systems Co.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
bowen192
in reply to: dherman469

Have you tried the following:

Ctrl/Shift and selct the snapshots to be affected

Right-click on one of the selcted snapshots > Set Affected Snapshots > Select Snapshots 

Make your changes.

Don't forget to unselct the snapshots 😉 

Message 3 of 10
dherman469
in reply to: bowen192

Hello,

I tried what you suggested.  However, that still seems to only affect all the snapshots in that one storyboard.  I can't seem to "activate" two storyboards at the same time to change materials in both in one shot. 

Daniel Hermanson

Spraying Systems Co.

Message 4 of 10
bowen192

The same should be true but by selecting the Storyboards instead.

The illustration inside the Snapshot/Storyboard isn't always live btw.  Have you actually checked inside the Storyboard? 

Message 5 of 10
dherman469
in reply to: bowen192

I think I finally got what you were saying.  I simply wasn't reading the entire screen window.  When I was setting the affected snapshots to All Snapshots or Following Snapshots, I stopped reading when I got to those choices in the Within Storyboard box.  I never continued reading down to see that I could affect the snapshots in the entire document.  Once I click on All Snapshots within Document, all my storyboards could be updated to the material change at once.  I feel really dumb now.  Ha, ha. Smiley Wink  

For those of you like me that don't read everything completely, I attached a picture showing. 

Daniel Hermanson

Spraying Systems Co.

Message 6 of 10
jahed.ali

It is not working for me!

when do you select your object to change the material?

before ctrl/shift selecting snapshots or after?

Can you please instruct me step by step?

Cheers

Ali

Message 7 of 10
dherman469
in reply to: jahed.ali

Hello Ali,

These steps have worked for me.  I have attached pictures to help show the steps better.

1)  Right click on the current active snapshot and choose: Set Affected Snapshots---Within Document---All Snapshots.

If you only wanted the change to affect a single storyboard, then you would choose that option instead.

2)  You can now right click on the particular component that you want to change, and choose: Material.  This brings up the color chart and material choices.  For my example, I will simply change the part to be Red in color.

3)  Now you have to go to each storyboard in your document, and you will see a bunch of lightning bolts in the snapshots.  Right click on the name of the storyboard and choose: Update Thumbnails.  This will update the color change to all the snapshots in that storyboard.  You will need to do the update in each storyboard. 

I hope that this helps. 

Daniel Hermanson

Message 8 of 10
jahed.ali

Thanks mate,

It didn't work at first I closed the file and re-opened then it worked.

Again and again I have to say this software has seriouse problems.

Message 9 of 10
dherman469
in reply to: jahed.ali

Hello,

It does have some bugs, but I try to remember that this is only the third release of the program.  I remember when I tried using the first couple releases of Inventor.  That was pretty bad, but over time it improved tremendously, and I love using it.  I'm pretty sure that Publisher will get where it needs to be.  It will just take time. 

Daniel Hermanson

Message 10 of 10
TimeraAutodesk

Great point, Daniel - while we do our very best to deliver a superb experience, it is important to keep in mind that bugs are a natural part of the "maturing" process for any piece of software. We are pleased with how much Publisher has matured in the short 3 years we've been around, and are looking forward to some exciting improvements to come as well 🙂

Timera

Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report