Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animate sub-assemblies

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
HakanSandgren
763 Views, 5 Replies

Animate sub-assemblies

Hi
Can anyone tell me how easiest animate sub-assemblies?
I have three parts A, B, C.  A is the base material, B together with C is the subassembly. When I use Explode to divide all the parts as intended. But when I want to animate how to assemble them, I would like to get part B and C should be mounted together first before being mounted on A.

If I use Restore Home on part B, it jumps to A and not to C that I want. And if I try to move it manually to C it's difficult to get it in the right place.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dherman469
in reply to: HakanSandgren

Hello,

I rarely use the automatic explode or restore home options due to the issue that you describe.  You might want to try manually moving parts and sub-assemblies.  I will expand the model tree in the browser and click on each of the components that are a part of the sub-assembly.  With those components highlighted, I will click the move command.  Now I can manipulate the sub-assembly in any way that I desire.  I will then use the same approach when I want to show how the sub-assembly is re-assembled.  This approach may take a little more time than the auto explode and restore home options.   However, you will have greater control.  I hope that this suggestion was helpful.

Daniel Hermanson

Message 3 of 6
HakanSandgren
in reply to: dherman469

Hi
I agree with you until I'm going to put together part B with part C. To get B in the right place manually is not that easy at all times. Especially if there is an exact distance you want to show.

What I'd like to have is that you could change the model tree in the browser and create your own sub-assemblies. Then, for example, you could use the Restore home. It's not always the case that the mechanical engineer
view of sub-assemblies are the same as what I want as an illustrator when I do the installation instructions to the production staff. but that's another story ... 🙂

Message 4 of 6
bowen192
in reply to: HakanSandgren

Ctrl-Select all the componets needed for A, B or C.

Right click a component, Selection > Save Selection.

Repeat for the other two groups.

The three groups will now be saved at the bottom of the Components tree.  Selecting any of these groups, and then selecting Home, will restore all of the selected parts to their original home.

Message 5 of 6
dherman469
in reply to: bowen192

That's a good tip.  I'll have to try that.  Thanks for sharing that.  

Daniel Hermanson

Message 6 of 6
HakanSandgren
in reply to: bowen192

Hi

Now I have found out how to do!

There is a command "Snap Component" that does what I want done. Unfortunately only in the 2013 version and I use the 2012 ...

Sorry if I failed to explain my problem clearly enough in my post earlier.Smiley Frustrated

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report