Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to Publisher

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
bowen192
4701 Views, 12 Replies

Alternatives to Publisher

I've had enough of Publisher now.  I've lost a file today as it refuses to open due to the usual 'unknown error'.  This was the 6th version of the same file Publisher has lost.

Overall I have around 50 seperate files that are now useless and, again, our company has been made to look like complete idiots in front of our clients.  No-one at Autodesk seems interested. Enough is enough.

So, what does everyone else use then?  3Dvia is a bit expensive and Creo Illustrate is impossible to get hold of.

Any others?  I might just use Inventor and the snip-it tool.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
miQlo
in reply to: bowen192

I tried the 3Dvia demo and completed a whole assembly guide with hundreds of parts in 4-5 days, everything just works as it should. I've had Publisher for about two years and still haven't got one usable image out of it. I finally got noticed by the developers and they solved some issues for me, so maybe I can get something out of it now. I'll give give Publisher one more chance with the 2014 release and then I'm out.

If I count all the ours I've wasted on Publisher, the cost for 3Dvia is nothing in comparison. Still 3Dvia is ridiculously expensive.

I haven't found any other software that made me want to try them. There are some but they also looked like a waste. Don't remember the names of them though.

Message 3 of 13
bowen192
in reply to: miQlo

3DVia is impressive, but from memory it can't import IAM files?

I am currently trialing CorelDRAW Technical Suite X6 http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4970084, but you need the CAD extension which adds an extra £4 K onto the price.

I've also got Lattice Technology’s XVL Technical Suite http://www.lattice3d.com/xvl-suites/ and Right Hemisphere's Deep View http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/ lined up to trial.

I've heard good things about the latter.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 13
miQlo

You can import IAM if you have the Inventor Viewer installed, but this only works with the full version of 3Dvia and not the demo. I haven't tried this myself but my reseller ensures it works.

Message 5 of 13
bowen192

Hmm, interesting that.

I'll see if I can get a cheeky full trial.

Message 6 of 13
Timmy_Stalnacke

Have someone manage to find any good option to replace Publisher?
i'm really starting to be fed up on Publisher.

We have realised that we cant work with Publisher any more.

Message 7 of 13
miQlo
in reply to: Timmy_Stalnacke

See my earlier post in the thread.

Message 8 of 13
Timmy_Stalnacke

Ok I will have a look at it! but have you tried the .aim import for real?

Message 9 of 13
miQlo
in reply to: Timmy_Stalnacke

No I have not tried it myself but the reseller insures it works, if you have the free viewer installed that is.

Message 10 of 13
bowen192

I aquired a full version of 3Dvia from somewhere and it definitely imports IAM files.

Saying that, I couldn't find a way to import it with any colour / material properties. However, I'm pretty sure this was something I was doing wrong.

3Dvia also handled whatever model I threw at it with no slow down at all. The interface is nowhere near as simple, but it can also do a lot more. The output image is also far superior.

The only thing is obviously it doesn't work with Vault, but Publisher crashes/corrupts that often that I never even get a chance to update models anyway.

Personally I'm giving Autodesk a chance with 2014. If the basic improvements have not been made I will have to switch to 3Dvia or try XVL Technical; a short-term hit for long-term gain.

Message 11 of 13
miQlo

You can update individual parts manually. I don't remember how but I think the command was "replace" if you right klick on the part in the list.

Message 12 of 13
cts2013

Did any of you actually buy into another piece of software and if so, what did you get and how are you finding it? More importantly, what size models/ assys are you working with?

I have just about had it with Publisher (2013R1SP1). Up to a minute to select a part, up to 10minutes to save, 10seconds to spin the assembly round - utter joke and waste of time.

- - - > Publisher 2016 running on: - - -

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit
Message 13 of 13

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report