Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slot joint constraint

slot joint constraint

when applying a joint constrain on a bolt going into the center of a slot, it would be helpful if the very center of the slot would highlight as an option. today it only picks up the center points and midpoint of the walls

43 Comments
zac.zombek
Community Visitor

I think this feature is a no-brainer.

Also, it would be nice to place an "insert" constraint to the center of a slot when created using the CENTER POINT type slot command.

kevin_park
Autodesk

it's really good. fully agree

infodecris
Community Visitor

Me gustaría poder poner una restricción de insertar en el centro de un colís, que funcionara como un agujero. Ahora tengo que poner tres restricciones para que el agujero quede centrado en el colis. Cuando se dibuja una ranura con una extrusión de vaciado, el boceto permite definir un centro, una longitud y un diámetro. Pues me gustaría que ese centro fuera posible utilizarlo como centro de agujero en una inserción.

English translation via Google: I would like to be able to put a restriction to insert in the center of a collis, which would work like a hole. Now I have to put three restrictions so that the hole is centered in the colis. When drawing a slot with a casting extrusion, the sketch allows you to define a center, a length and a diameter. Well I would like that center could be used as a hole center in an insert.

Tags (1)
b.graaf
Advocate

It would be nice, if you can select the midpoint of a slot, when placing a joint:

Joint and Slot.png

ckirkCRESTLINE
Contributor

Currently there is no way to easily mate a hole to be centered in a slot, which can be used for part adjustment or accounting for manufacturing tolerances, and can also be used to indicate design intent.

Having the ability to mate a slot to an axis, circle or cylindrical face where the offset is equal to distance away from the center of the slot would be very convenient, as currently additional features are needed to pull this off easily.

Tags (2)
b.graaf
Advocate
MrSmithtastic
Advocate

This is a must have surely. Always struggle to mate screws in to slots, so annoying!

ckirkCRESTLINE
Contributor

Agreed Graaf, it's too bad I was unable to find your post before I created this one, I will try to update my top post if I can. (obviously I'm still new to the forums)

- Conlan

mcgyvr
Consultant

It takes seconds to simply model a new extruded cylindrical surface centered on the slot to constrain to..

It can all be done in one shared sketch too (sketch slot w/center point and tangent circle from center point)

Never a struggle.. super simple.. 

The suggestion to select a point requires multiple constraints (a point is just a point does not lock down enough degrees of freedom by itself and still requires an axis or whatever constraint to place it) and takes more time vs just modeling the surface.. With a surface a simple insert constraint is all you need to place a bolt/screw,etc... 

slots.PNG

ckirkCRESTLINE
Contributor

Hey mcgyvr,

I am currently switching from a horribly modified version of 2010 to 2017, so I was going to say that you couldn't pattern an extruded surface, but decided to check before I put my foot in my mouth, and I'm glad I did. Smiley Happy 

My current workaround is to create an axis through the center of the slot using the axis tool and mate using that, though I will now switch to your method as I think it would be far superior.

At any rate, I figured I would post this as a suggested feature, since it would be nice not to need workarounds for a relatively common practice in industry, regardless of the difficulty of the workaround.

Thanks for your advice though, I am looking forward to using this the next time I make a part with slots.

Cheers,

- Conlan

mario.saarik
Contributor
Maybe it could be done as it is in fusion 360. There you can place holes in geometric center of profile or a face.
WheresWally
Participant

This may be an old request, but its something that is still missing......

Walt_Jaquith
Enthusiast
I logged on to request something similar, but I'm going to upvote this one instead. In my case, I wanted to center a piece or rectangular tubing in a cutout (really wish I could post a screencap here. As with the slot, Inventor won't pick the empty space to center the Rigid Joint. In my case, both the pieces were voids where I wanted to center them. The workaround is to boundary patch the void on both the parts. The joint will then select the center of the patch, and then you can turn off it's visibility. This would work on your slot as well. It's a pain in the fundament, and kind of cancels a lot of the advantages of using joints. We need Inventor to just do this without creating the boundary patch.
jrimkunas
Explorer

It would save a lot of time if the insert constraint picked up the center of a slot, or even more broadly the center of any closed loop. I am surprised this isn't already a feature.

Tags (5)
jingyi.liu
Alumni

Hi

There are couple ideas on Joint enhancement, customer would like to select Slot center in Joint command. Please refer to below ideas:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/funtional-center-point-creation-on-sketched-slot-tool-...Accepted)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/slot-joint-constraint/idi-p/5169277

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/assembly-hole-to-slot-constraint/idi-p/6681054

It seems that Joint command is more closer to meet you requirement, do you still need it for Constraint Command?

Regards,

Jingyi Liu

clo-z-nuff
Advocate

We often have the desire to constrain holes or fasteners to the center of a slot.  Currently, this process is done by creating work axis or additional features and it seems everyone has their "own way of doing it".  In speaking to our CAM programmer who has experience with....another....software, he said this functionality is there and works great.  I created a slot iFeature with a slightly larger circle in the middle of the slot so that an insert constraint can be used.  This works great until it gets to our CAM programmer.  He commented that it greatly increases the code and due to milling machine backlashes will likely cause issues.

Tags (2)
DRoam
Mentor

I never use joints, so it would be an odd and annoying inconsistency to have to use them for this one application. So slot constraining needs to be in the Constraint tool as well.

It would be nice to have a dedicated Slot constraint type to give us additional power and flexibility. For example, when constraining something like a bolt into a slot, I would like to have the following solutions available:

• Center in Slot/Distance from Center
  • Center in End A/Distance from End A
  • Center in End B/Distance from End B
  • Free

A design may call for any number of these design intents. And once we have an actual Slot feature, it would be handy to have a smart, dedicated Slot constraint that can handle them intelligently.

pasi.annila
Advocate

Hi Kevin,

Lately I've been modeling a circle surface on slot and then used Rigid joint to connect parts -> this gives 0 degrees of frredom..  _poista.png

_poista_1.PNG

I don't know if this is good for your case or not?

Yet - I agree - there should be option to pick "center" without surface.

clo-z-nuff
Advocate

@pasi.annila

Thank you for your response.  Yes, we have been doing the same here.  Often, however, we forget to do this when creating the part and the feature does not carry through to additional slot features that may be on the part.  Just an idea to make things better.

Thanks

shawn.payne
Advocate

I agree with this. It would also be nice if a bolted connection could recognize a slot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report