Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toggle hole depth to point

Toggle hole depth to point

Sometimes you would like to measure the hole depth from the top to the point (so to make sure you have enough material left). Within the hole dialoge it's only possible to select the start of the bore cone:

Hole Wish To Point or Cylindrical refference.PNG

31 Comments
marco.centenari
Contributor

i'd like to size the hole from the top.

is important when in a piece there are many holes very close to each other

Tags (1)
marco.centenari
Contributor

hole from the top.jpg

CadmonkeyPete
Community Visitor

In the mining industry, this would be a big time saver when detailing holes.

In Solid Edge hole dialog box it’s an option you pick.

dvsmiller9
Advocate

We create MANY blind holes with very little material to spare. This would be extremely helpful!

BrotherkennyhDWR
Enthusiast

Definately a great fature idea. I find myself wondering why I haven't suggested it before. We have a spreadsheet set up to calculate the hole depth required for the point depth we desire.

It would also be nice to be able to specify center drill sizes. Center drills are effectively a hole with a countersink. I appreciate that these could be done with an iFeature, but it would be easier to open the hole tool, select a BS No.4 Center drill and have it appear on the part.

maybe it is not according to drawing standards, but in the workshop this dimension is needed, and now should be calculated.

thats why it would be nice to have the option to set the hole dept  for top till lowest point.

holedept.png

thanks

Tags (2)
lesmfunk
Collaborator

Especially for CNC or digital readout where you touch off the surface, and then go that depth.

sistcon
Enthusiast

Totally agree with this.. 

petestrycharske
Advisor

Might be nice to have both.  Perhaps a toggle to go between the main hole dia depth and the ultimate drill point depth would be useful? 

benny_wellekens
Enthusiast

As mentioned, this is not according to drawing standards because the depth to the drill point is not a functional dimension. The depth to the drill point can be dimensioned on a 2D drawing, If needed by the workshop, or can be easily calculated from the depth of the cylindrical part of the hole, the diameter and the drill point angle.

thank you for you input Benny, but I wonder how much you use this function. Yes, maybe not according to drawing standard but in Inventor there are more things not according to drawing standards. The main thing a 3D cad programm should do it make it easier to the user, so he or she could work faster. By adding this function, the drawing output would still be the same, so far for the drawing standard.

And yes, in the drawing I can dimension the depth to the drill point but the would give me not a round dimension which is expected in the workshop. calculating this is somethig we have Inventor for. So it would save a whole lot of people a lot of time.

Dear Autodesk, due to typing error I did not find the idea of DTS, and posted this idea. DTS had the same idea (look for Togle hole depth).

together we now have 70+55 = 125 kudos, that should count for something..?!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [68018]. Thanks!

gregC9RQG
Enthusiast

What exactly does "Accepted" mean? Because in 2018 (4yrs later) I can't find this option.. It is a very important dimension in Designing Under Ground Mining Enclosures... can be the cause of much rework... 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Changing the status of this idea from "Accepted" to "Future Consideration".  We were aware of this request when redesigning the hole command within Autodesk Inventor 2019.  It simply fell out of scope with all of the other work that was implemented within the 2019 release.  I am sorry for any disappointment this has caused.

kimK7B54
Advocate

Fell out of Scope?  Who are you kidding.  This should be a 1/2 hour programming fix.  Instead you are busy adding crap I will never use and maintain inventor as one of the most cumbersome 3D modeling packages out there.

sadly Autodesk sometimes make strange choices...

at first sight this would not be a verry time consuming task to programm..

just give the user the option to choose.!!

first we need to go here (idea station) to let you (Autodesk) know what we (customers) want

then we need to get enough votes... well 156 should be enough to spend some time on this.

and yes sometime thinks are added, that no one asks for!! and even slows down the work process. 

please tell us what more we have to do to get this option??

kimK7B54
Advocate

I've been requesting this since r3, but instead of increasing the proficiency of Inventor, more and more bloat is added each year making this a very undesirable program.  simple things that make our jobs faster, and easier is key; but it seams shinny goblets of gunk is their priority.  With that attitude, Inventor will never be the #1 software package.  The only reason it has any market share at all is because of AutoCAD  bundling.  Without that remarkable piece of software (the indisputable CAD king) Inventor would have died  years ago.  It's time Autodesk replaced management with people that know what the industry needs, instead of marketing morons that believe their college degree makes them a know-it-all.

mluterman
Advisor

Yes, we need this. I think the Autodesk software programmers are out-of-touch with what the engineers using the product for design actually need; so cannot actually "feel" the need for it since they are not in the trenches using the product.

MarcoMoura9852
Enthusiast

On the idw files, I think it should be important to have the hole depth, at the hole drill tip, automatically.

At the moment, as far as I know, it's not possible, because that value is not available at autodesk inventor.

Each time I do a 3D blind hole, if I want to show on the 2D drawing the actual depth at the drill tip, I have to override the automatic depth shown (is shown the cylindral area depth).

This would easier the comunication between designers and CNC drilling machine operators, because on the drilling operation it's used the drill tip as reference, not the drilling cylindrical zone.

On the images attached I've posted a sample:

-> I want to do a cylindrical hole with 20mm depth, at the cylindrical zone (unfortunatelly, Inventor doesn't provide option to choose drill tip depth) - picture 1

-> On the 2D drawing, doing annotation by the hole and thread automatic feature, the depth is 20mm;

-> However, the CNC machine operator has all the tools set / calibrated, by the tip. If he does the hole with 20mm at the drill tip, then the cylindrical area will only have 17mm depth. 3mm less then required;

-> However, on the 3D model, my real drill tip depth is 23mm. But, inventor doens't provide this information / parameter. (picture 2 and 3)

Is it possible to had this depth on future revisions?

I trully believe this a real problem for alot of designers that work with drilling operations.

Thanks!

Tags (5)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report