Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set precision for measure command

set precision for measure command

Set the precision for the measure tool in the application options.  I am always extending this out.  It currently has to be set each day at each document level.  I just want to set it once, not reset it 50 time a day.

34 Comments
Pacetech
Contributor

Also, the ability to set all measurements to DUAL UNIT in inches and mm.

SteveMDennis
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

This is on our radar. [5230]

JBerns
Advisor

The precision should apply to all fields in the Measure box.

In the example below, the precision (8 decimals) is not applied to the Position or Delta values.

Inventor Measure Distance Example.png

Lack of precision can cause round-off errors. When incorrect values are used in Tube & Pipe runs, overcomplicated routes result because an aligment may be off in the 4th or greater decimal place.

Projecting or including geometry does not always resolve the issue for the pipe route.

CADDapult
Advocate

While routing pipe a misalignment of 0.0000001 can turn what you think is going to be a straight-line pipe run into a pretzel.  Then try and find where the problem is, when you can't set the Position and Delta unit precisions fine enough.  If the piping requires umpteen decimal place precision while routing, Inventor needs to have an option to show that same precision when checking X/Y/Z locations and deltas.

Mike

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted Idea [5230]. Thanks!

a_sima
Enthusiast

let the user select the number of decimal places when measure globally once not kepp the user selecting the precision in every document!

Cadmanto
Mentor

A lot of good suggestions made in this thread.  Most notably an additional setting in the document options allowing the control of the amount of decimal places in the measuring tool.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/measure-tool-question/m-p/5301319

Tags (1)
SBix26
Mentor

Making measure tool settings persistent between Inventor sessions would save me a bunch of mouse clicks each time I start Inventor.  I always set precision to All Decimals, and I always want dual units to be turned on: inches if I'm working in millimeters, millimeters if I'm working in inches.  The latter situation demands that the dual unit setting be smart enough to recognize what the file units are and adapt accordingly.

ccamara01
Collaborator

Why is it necessary to constantly reset the measuring tool to the highest level of precision?  Even when working on the same part/assembly, without having closed it, it always seems to reset itself.  Can this not be an Application Option?

And on that note, in Document Settings, why is there only an option for up to 5 decimal places in linear and angular dimensions?  Would it be that absurd to be able to set all (8) decimal places?

And I'll go on lol... why do we need to select whether we want to measure a linear, angular, or loop dimension with the measuring tool?  In the sketch environment, the Dimension tool knows what kind of dimension you're trying to place, based on the geometry.  With any other CAD system I've used (SW, Pro/E) these "issues" do not exist.

Tags (1)
Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

yes, it would be nice to have the option when measuring to click / check an option "keep precision" or "this time only precision" settings.

likewise, 9even though i think that there is some slight automatic type of sensing in different circumstances) on measure, it would be nice to allow the option for ;

default behaviour = automatic element sensing" or

override behaviour = "specify element type", perhaps with "maintain my override" settings to suit the type of work you may be doing.

ps- (this is not the only type of command where it would be helpful for such behaviours)

jwallin
Contributor

I agree.  Having a default settings in application options for precision, type, and dual unit similar to how the dimension style and standard editor works would be a time saving feature.  Granted the measure controls would not be as complex as the dimension style editor is. A few radial buttons for default type and dual unit like the options tab plus drop down lists for the precision like the units tab is what I would envision.

swalton
Mentor

I would like some additional features in the tool:

• Chain edges together and get a total length
  • Project measurement to a surface or edge so I don't have to do trig
  • Persistent measurement features that get evaluated every regen of the model
  • Measurement features that I can display in idw notes/tables.  Maybe the feature value can be stored as an iprop
DRoam
Mentor

This issue has been fixed in R2 of Inventor 2017! ... Sort of.

According to this article, you now set the measurement precision once-for-all for each document individually. In other words, each document has its own measurement precision which persists when you close and open the file and even from session to session.

However, I wonder how many people would rather see it as an Application Option (as stated in the OP of this Idea) rather than a document-specific option? I, for one, would prefer a global application option.

Feedback from others would be helpful. 

Autodesk, please do no mark this Idea as Implemented, as the user specifically said "Set the precision for the measure tool in the application options. ...  It currently has to be set ... at each document level."

DRoam
Mentor

Good news, this functionality has been slightly improved in R2 of Inventor 2017. According to this article, you now set the measurement precision once-for-all for each document individually. In other words, each document has its own measurement precision which persists when you close and open the file and even from session to session.

However, if you would prefer a global Application Option which persists across all documents, commenting and giving that feedback would be helpful. However, it would be best if comments (and votes) were consolidated to the top-voted posting of this request, located here: set precision for measure command. So if you'd like to vote for or comment regarding a global measurement precision option, please do so on that thread.

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

It would likely need to be an application options setting that allows the user to choose how it is set.

Measure Setting.png

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

A bit more concerning the "why" on this:

An application option allows us to deal with the issue that exists with all of our past thousands of files where the setting wasn't present and therefore is not set as needed.

So often, as we work on new projects, we are required to open these old files and pull measure measurements for reference, etc. A global setting would be much more ideal.

sales
Explorer

Can you make it possible to set the precision for measuring? For example set it to "all decimal" instead of having to manually do it every time you have a new session?

Arbitr
Explorer

I think it is setting on template or styles.

shawn.payne
Advocate

2017 does this

tawrus80
Advocate

I second this! I am setting the measuring precision to "all decimals" many times a day and found this thread when searching for a setting I hopefully missed.  This should be an application setting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report