Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Part Layers" in drawing environment to help distinguish new/existing parts

"Part Layers" in drawing environment to help distinguish new/existing parts

Most of my work involves modeling both existing and new equipment. Currently, the only way I know to make new parts show up as bolder is to set up a new layer and manually change each individual line to the appropriate new layer - this is very time consuming and frustrating because I have to consider visible and hidden lintypes separately.

It would be great if I could select whole parts (i.e. "Select Part Priority" instead of "Select Edge Priority") that are new and put them on a new "part layer" to distinguish them from the existing components. The Part Layers would be groups of layers consisting of all of the standard linetypes (Visible, Thin, Hidden, Hatch, etc), so If I place a part on a different "Part Layer", the visible and hidden lines would both turn into the lineweights as defined within the user's custom part layers.

For example, 

Part Layer - "Existing"

*Visible = 0.005

*Thin = 0.003

*Hidden = 0.003

Part Layer - "New"

*Visible = 0.0125

*Thin=0.010

*Hidden = 0.008

Other uses for part layers would be for me to call out Demolition parts.

21 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

This idea has value far beyond the very specific example schnautza explained.  This would provide the basis for the ability to vary the colors of parts on a non-shaded drawing view, without the need for a ton of manual work selecting and changing properties manually.

The "part layer" groups could initially inherit the properties of the "master" layers (Visible, Hidden, etc.).  Parts could come in on their own layer group automatically, possibly with an application option to still handle them the current way.  Changes to color, line type, etc. could then be performed for that part on the entire drawing by editing the layer group, rather than manually selecting it all over the drawing.

schnautza
Advocate

Exactly. Color, linetype, and lineweight (maybe even print vs non-printing layers?) would be very easy to control with this workflow. Inventor is already leaps and bounds ahead of autocad by recognizing when a line should be hidden or visible, all we need is for them to let us have some smart layering for parts to have a product that is superior in every way. We should be able to make a part stand out as different without the current tedious workflow.

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi schnautza,

My current workflow for this sort of thing is as follows:

1. Go to the Annotation tab and click the Edit Layers button and create the layers you need (if they do not already exist).
  2. In the drawing, hold the Shift key and right click, and then choose Part Priority.
  3. Next hold the Shift key again and select all of the parts you want to be on the New layer (note that you can do this on the sheet view or in the browser node for the view.
  4. Next right click and choose Select as Edges
  5. Next use the layers pulldown menu on the Annotation tab to assign those part edges to the layer.

Does this workflow work for you?

If not you might describe the improvements to these steps that you would like to see.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

schnautza
Advocate

Curtis, no.

That will make all of the lines (visible, hidden, etc) of a part go to the same layer. I want Inventor to realize that the default visible lines of the part go to a new visible layer, the default hidden lines go to a new hidden layer, and so on. If I use your method, I need to remember which lines are supposed to be hidden and then go back and modify those lines manually, hoping I didn't miss any.

schnautza
Advocate

The ideal workflow would be:

1. Create a family of layers using the Edit Layers button (example: Family=New Equipment: contians layers for Visible, Hidden, Thin, etc.)

2. Select Part (using Part Priority)

3. In the Annotation tab, select a layer family from the dropdown. This will reconize all the default linetypes in the part and will remap the default visible lines to that family's visible layer, the default hidden lines to that family's hidden layer, etc.

Do you see how that workflow could be much faster?

jletcher
Advisor

I find the assembly in the browser right click properties and change..

Some clients have layers set up some don't..UM NO.JPG

schnautza
Advocate

jletcher, like I said before, that method only works if you want every line of the part to be the same linetype. I want to retain combinations of visible and hidden lines, but be able to accent one part by adjusting all lines to be heavier or lighter.

schnautza
Advocate

For an example of the types of projects that I do - here is a screenshot. Note that there is some existing steel and some new steel. I want to select the parts that are new and have them be put on a new layer, retaining all visible/hidden linetypes without having to manually select each line. I don't want to make every line visible or every line hidden.

Untitled.png

jletcher
Advisor

I understand what you are asking just don't see how it can be done...

asking for a part layer is no more then setting up layers and selecting the part and change the layer..

I mean think about it I have 20,000 parts so Inventor will make 20,000 layers? This is why I am not sure what you ask can be done and have good performance.

If no then you have the ability to do what you are asking. You just have to take time to set it up..

I think what they need to do is get the reference to work right. I have no clue who thought a reference part shows through everything. If they get that to work right then it would not be so hard for you to do what you ask for with what Inventor has now..  

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi schnautza,

Ahh, I see. I don't use hidden lines when I'm color coding parts in this way, so I hadn't considered that. But you're exactly right.

I've given this idea a kudo in support of improvements along the lines of your suggestions.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

jletcher
Advisor

I think what you are seeking is Layer configurations where one layer you could have a list of options. Lets say the hidden lines are blue and .01 thick, reference lines are green and .02 thick and so on all in one layer....

jtylerbc
Mentor

jletcher,

You raise a good point about sheer numbers of layers, but I'm not sure it's as bad as you are thinking.  Do you actually mean you have 20,000 unique parts, or just 20,000 instances?  I don't think he means that each instance of the part would get its own layer, only each unique part, and I certainly didn't mean it that way in my comment supporting the idea.

That being said, each unique part wouldn't get one layer, it would get four (Visible, Visible Narrow, Hidden, Hidden Narrow), so there could still end up being a prohibitive number of layers.  If your example actually is 20,000 unique parts, then you would end up with 80,000 layers.  Yuck.

schnautza
Advocate

jletcher, I don't think you are quite grasping what I'm asking for. Perhaps my terminology is what is confusing.

When I say a "part layer" I do not mean I want a separate layer for every part (as you said you had 20,000 parts). I mean that I want layers to respond to parts instead of having to select individual lines. These layers need to consider all standard linetypes (visible, hidden, thin, etc) that Inventor maps out by default.

I want to be able to set up a seperate layer group for ALL existing parts and ALL new parts. That is only two layer groups, with each group consisting of visible, hidden, etc. I would like to select a part and assign it to "existing" or "new" and see the lineweights of all types of lines respond accordingly.

The methods you have been describing do not work in that all lines associated to a part (both visible and hidden) will end up the same linetype if you change the properties for an entire part all at once. This is why I am suggesting groups of layers (or as I called, a part layer) that can retain the smart capabilities of determining whether the line should be hidden or not - just adjusting the lineweights or colors to whatever I set the layers up to be.

If I'm looking at a beam from above, the web of the beam should show as hidden lines. If I select the whole beam and change properties as you suggested, the hidden lines will become the same as the visible lines. With my proposal, the hidden lines remain hidden, and the visible lines remain visible, but all layers may be bolded compared to the default layer.

I'm not sure I can explain it any other way.

jletcher
Advisor

No I mean 20,000 unique and that is small for me and my clients. I have one assembly I did way back has 263,000 parts could you imagine the layers..

I think a layer configurations would be better..

schnautza
Advocate

Now everybody seems confused. There are not going to be 80,000 layers.

Let's say (for simplicity) that my drawings consist solely of VISIBLE and HIDDEN linework.

I want two families of lines: Existing equipment and New equipment.

Existing Equipment:

Visible - continuous line, 0.005 lineweight

Hidden - dashed line, 0.003 lineweight

New Equipment:

Visible - continuous line, 0.0125 lineweight

Hidden - dashed line, 0.008 lineweight.

Every part in my drawing will be assigned to either Existing or New layers. If a part is new, then the visible linework will have a lineweight of 0.0125 and the hidden linework will be 0.008.

Let's add up the layers here...I count only 4 total layers for anywhere from 1 to 100,000 parts.

The only reason I called them "Part Layers" originally was to distinguish selecting a part vs selecting edges. It has nothing to do with a separate layer for every part.

jletcher
Advisor

No I understand I think the best thing would be to have the ability to add layer group to the standards and be able to change a part or an assembly with 2 clicks.

Select part or assembly select new layer mapping..

To bad we can't change the title to need ability to add new layer groups to standards..

I can see it just don't know if they can make it just by fixing the reference option with your mapping request because that is the way it should work anyway... Then you just change it in the BOM in the assembly and no drafter would have to do anything. Like it was suppose to work... And under settings you can change it in the Inventor Model reference line settings and new parts would just be the one layer group in IDW standards..

Kind of torn I do see a need for reference parts but like I said fix the reference option Your way you would have to do something in the IDW and those with drafter would have to be told. Fix the option for reference in BOM and the engineer takes care of it. But I do see your issues..

timdown73
Collaborator

schnautza, I've run into this very issue.  Thanks for posting the idea.

ryaanj
Advocate

Configurable layer groups would be a great addition.  I have run into several who have these same types of requirements: specific assembly types or parts that require thicker lineweight or otherwise different display than the normal.  The select part priority > r-click > select as edges > change layer works ok, but you have to repeat it for EVERY view containing those parts and it doesn't take into account hidden or tangency, etc.  Great suggestion.

BWMcDowell
Enthusiast

This has been said different ways but this appears to be the most popular one at the moment so hopefully people will come vote here. the old way of edge selecting and turning hidden lines on and off and selecting by part in each view is no longer working correctly in 2020(at least with ours) it forgets what layer the hidden lines were on when they are no longer visible.

smurugan6BT8P
Explorer

Too much confusion, reading all above comments.. 

My need: 

In detailing of a single part, we have one part represented in different views like Top view, Section view, Front view. So a single part detail shall have following layers (Refer below image) and if we switch off 'Visible Top plate', all visible lines of part Top plate will hide in all the views. Similarly this would be applicable for 'Hatch Top plate', 'Hidden Top plate', 'Threads Top plate' & 'Visible narrow Top plate'. 

Inventor Single part layer.png

In detailing of an Assembly, lets take an assembly with Top plate, Bottom plate, 4X Bolts & 4X Nuts. Here we have 4 different parts or instances represented in different views like Top view, Section view, Front view. So this assembly detail shall have following layers (Refer below image) and we can switch off any part and it's line types any time as required. 

Inventor Assembly layer.png

Hope this clarifies.. Really the number of layers is directly proportional to number of parts and I do not know the complexity implementing this, but this feature if made available, this is definitely going to help us in reducing lot of time. At least this could be brought in for low complex assemblies with parts less than 50 numbers. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report