Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A True Mirroring Command

A True Mirroring Command

With over 25 years of CAD experience (in many different CAD software), I have yet to see a mirroring command to my liking!

What I would like to see is a command that would take a model and create a new file containing a model that is mirrored feature-by-feature, sketch -by-sketch and is in no way linked to the original model. I can't believe that this has been so difficult to do. 

18 Comments
PaulMunford
Autodesk

It would be great to be able to create a exact mirror of a part WITHOUT the new part containing a derived instance.

Tags (2)
karthur1
Mentor

If you dont want the derived instance, can you either 1.) do a save-copy-as  and then mirror the entire part... or, 2.) derive the part into a new part and either suppress or break the link with the parent.

Maybe I am missing what you are saying.

guido_66
Advocate

I guess that Paul would like all the features and sketches mirrored in the new part so that he can make changes to them. I quite like this idea

PaulMunford
Autodesk

guido66,

That's it!

Mirroring a componet that has already been derived is particularly a problem.

The miror tool always derives something around the wrong plane, it pulls through parameters which I don't want to be derived across and it constrains the component in so that the new componet is not parameteric in the assembly.

It is so much of a PTA to fix all this, I find I have to go back to my 'master' part and derive them all out again - with the mirror option.

blandb
Mentor

It would be nice to have the option turn a mirrored part into a fully functional independent part.

For Example: 

I have a part that is a true mirror, but at some point in the design, the part is no longer a true mirror. So instead of just

breaking the link, and having a base solid for old geometry, working features for anything new that was added. It would be nice

to get the features of the parent file, make these working features in the mirrored part so one could change the original geometry if needed,

instead of having to remodel the mirrored part to get editable initial features.

To try and clarify -

Turn a once mirrored part into a fully functional independent part with a right click or something. 

Just to be able to modify original geometry because the part is no longer a mirrored part, but not have it act like the mirroring of a solid, when one edits the original geometry the part flips, and then flips back when finished.

Currently my boss will not allow mirroring of parts due to the fact that parts will change at some point and no longer become true mirrors. He wants us to draw both right and left hand parts, even if they are identical, which kills productivity and has higher risk of human error. With this functionality, I could convince him to use mirror because at any point in time, the part could become non-mirrored and still have independent functional parts.

Tags (1)
guido_66
Advocate
blandb
Mentor
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that.

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S®4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
filat
Advisor

Extend the  functional been expanded operations mirror assembly: now and you can make a mirror piece, place the mirror as it is ... But often meet such need, when performing the mirror part (or assembly), you just need to turn 180 degrees around the vertical and horizontal axis

3.8.jpg

robert.reitinger
Explorer

If you morror a part, it would sometime be helpful to have the history in the browser already mirrored.

This means every feature must be mirrored individually.

(some older engineers might remember the "ammirror" in mechanical Desktop?)

alexmende
Collaborator

I only have 5 years of CAD experience, but my co-workers with 30 years of engineering experience complain about the exact same thing. In the old days, when you wanted to mirror a part or assembly, you took your board drawing, flipped it over and traced it. In 2D CAD, it was even simpler. Yet now with Inventor, getting a left hand IDW from right hand IDW is a whole process. You might as well just start over. If you can make a mirror operation to automatically go from a right hand IDW (part or asssembly) to a left hand IDW, then you will really have something.

DRoam
Mentor
DRoam
Mentor

Another duplicate:

Mirroring Parts.

It has the most votes but also has a very open-ended name so probably not easy to find. Hopefully when these are merged, the title can be set to something more descriptive. I think "Mirror part by mirroring its history" has the most descriptive title.

DRoam
Mentor

And here's another: mirror derived part

Again, the name doesn't very accurately reflect the suggested functionality, unfortunately. But it's asking for the same thing.

Arild_Ertesvag
Enthusiast

If an "independent" function (on/off check box)  is added to the mirror command, you could have controlled if you want a model dependent or independent of the original model.

gwkiba
Contributor
The times that I need a mirrored part, I need it independent, yes!
More importantly, I want it to be its own part with features and sketches that are mirrored about the default planes, origin, and axes. Just as if I created it new from scratch. I don't want the default planes, origin, and axes mirrored if possible. Another user should not be able to tell that the part was mirrored.
Consistency is important in maintaining model databases. If people have to struggle with mirrored sketches and backwards planes they make mistakes and would rather re-model!
Maxim-CADman77
Advisor
Maxim-CADman77
Advisor

Any chances to get this done with iLogic?

tscheckSW4FU
Enthusiast

I agree with what @blandb describes above, there are times when the two parts are true mirrors, there are times when they are mostly mirrors but one has a unique difference, and sometimes they start off as true mirrors and then diverge with revisions.

I think having the option to mirror as a derived part or mirror as a completely independent part would be great. There are definitely times when both ways would be useful.

In the instance where they are true mirrors, and then the design diverges--and this might be a stretch--it'd be awesome to break the link and be presented with an option to populate the feature tree.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report