Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measure accumulate with arc length and straight line segment

measure accumulate with arc length and straight line segment

Want the ability to measure both lines and arcs and get the total measurement. Currently can only add (accumulate) line segments.

"You can add the values of several linear measurements to calculate a total measurement" see http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-04C0E113-3922-468C-8779-23A171E55F93

8 Comments
PaulMunford
Autodesk

Accumlualting measurements with the distance command is a real pig. You are right - this command needs a UI overhaul!

timdown73
Collaborator

Agreed!  Same with the area measurement, trying to add to accumulate.  Overhaul needed badly.

AndyWallace
Advocate

I vote for holding SHIFT or CTL and clicking adjacent lines and having it automatically accumulate. Also, the help file link above may not be entirely correct. In my case it seems I have to use the "restart" command in between segments. Oh, and don't forget "clear accumulate" before you start. Andy

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [605]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2018.2. A new "plus" icon will display beside any measurement value, when selected the value will get appended to an "accumulated properties" group within the Measure panel. Accumulated properties will provide the sum of any value that share the same unit and exists in the group.  This should come in handy when attempting to obtain overall lengths for line/arc segments (outer edges of a part or a total pipe route length) or the total surface area of face selections to get an idea of how much paint will be required to cover it. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

jeanie.wayker
Alumni

See here for more info: What's New 2018.2

Justin.Williams
Enthusiast

I used to be able to select just the numeric portion of the distance (no measurement units included). I would often paste this into the standard windows calculator.

Starting with Windows 10 and its updated calculator, you can no longer paste a value that includes the measurement unit, i.e. you can't paste "3.812767 in" as it tells you "invalid input."

I would like the ability to select just the portion of the measurement that I want again (numeric value only), so that I have the ability to paste values into a calculator. Whether this is me just manually dragging the cursor across the text, or some sort of option to not copy the unit of measure would be even better! 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hi @Justin.Williams,

Your request for this extended capability to measure exists here:  Make Copying Results Unitless from Measure Tool

Please visit the Idea and cast your vote for it.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report