New Idea
2 Kudos
asiu

New Idea Categories

by asiu on ‎07-09-2014 10:59 AM

I applaud Autodesk for coming up with this IdeaStation!

As this is growing and it attracts more users to make suggestions I would like to propose to have the ideas filtered per categories (like: assemblies/constraints; parts/sketches, FEA/display results, etc.)

This will avoid the duplicate ideas, make it easier to navigate and vote ideas closer related to your work filed, and make it easier for the Autodesk moderators to filter the information.

2 Kudos

It would be nice to see every change on drawing caused by model change and drawing update - weather something has detached, deleteted, moved, dimension changed vaule etc. Making revisions would be much more easier. Curretnly you can only see when something is detached - not when something disapears from drawing. 

1 Kudo
dhagen

Parts List/BOM

by dhagen on ‎07-09-2014 01:10 PM

Would like the Header to Automatically wrap if the column is not wide enough. 

1 Kudo
kmeldfreyssinet

save positional representaions

by Mentor on ‎07-09-2014 10:18 AM

Hi,

wouldn't it be good to be able to save assembly in positional representaions to dwf?

I think it would be greate. Now it is ot possible and I am disapointed and suprised this is not possible every time I try.

What is the point to have a project viewer if project can not be presented properly?

Cris.

5 Kudos
a.sima

group features

by a.sima on ‎07-08-2014 12:14 AM

I would like to have the possibility to group some features of a part. Then the group would be handled as a single entity (patterned, suppressed or other operations).

7 Kudos
wimann

Spline Total Length Dimension

by Valued Contributor wimann on ‎07-07-2014 07:56 AM

I was asked recently if this was possible and was advised through the Inventor General Forum that it would be worth posting here.

The idea would be the ability to give a spline a total length dimension that would be maintained no matter where the pick points lay. I get that there would be limitations but I think it could be a useful addition to the software.

Thanks,

25 Kudos
kim.schroeder

Partial Section view

by kim.schroeder ‎07-03-2014 04:27 AM - edited ‎07-03-2014 04:31 AM

There are several occasions when we really are missing a zig-zag line in Inventor!

First of all, when making a partial Section View it would be very useful to be able to get a zig-zag line at the "break" position when a Section View doesn't run through the whole part, please see picture below.  (Now I simply turn off the visibility of that line).

Partial Section View.JPG

Furthermore, it would also be nice to be able to...

...configure "Crop Cut Line" as a zig-zag line.

...change an existing line into a zig-zag line.

As in the already existing zig-zag line in the "Break" view, it should preferably be possible to chose zig-zag symbol size as well as number of such symbols.

2 Kudos
jamjumpin

Copy iProperty tags between leaders

by Valued Contributor jamjumpin ‎07-08-2014 10:36 AM - edited ‎07-08-2014 10:37 AM

I want to be able to copy and paste the live tags (I don't know their real name) between leaders. 

These are what I'm referring to. 

irpoerty labels.JPG

16 Kudos

I know this has been brought up many times. I know there are work arounds. But this is a nice feature and one Inventor should implement. Almost every other major 3D modeling software has a very simple way to enable this without changing the part properties, or disabling the part.

PLEASE!

23 Kudos
admaiora

Multi Measures and Calculator Tool

by Active Contributor admaiora on ‎06-30-2014 08:53 AM

It would be great the ability to power the output measure tool, adding a Calculator tool, that can tracks multi measurements, combine between them  and even evaluate expressions with variables and parameters.

Calc.jpg

3 Kudos
jamjumpin

Move parts to folder

by Valued Contributor jamjumpin on ‎07-07-2014 10:19 AM

You start a new project and before you know it you've finished the assembly and have a single folder on your HDD with 1000 parts in it. 

I want to be able to right click an assembly within Inventor and choose a command that says soemthing like, 'organise to folder,' or something. I don't know, you are probably better at marketing than me. Maybe 'Move partz to folder KomMand.' I dunno, something catchy. Add the word Turbo?

Anyway, what this would do is take all those parts and move them into a folder, or a new folder within the project. 

Say I have a car, I don't design cars so this will be super simple. But say it had 5000 unique parts all in a single folder. I could right click the engine and choose 'organise to folder' and create an engine folder to move it to. Now I can right click the brakes and move those parts to a brakes folder. 

It would help massively with organisation because currently I have to dig through the folders manually and try and seperate out 50 parts called angle 5,6,7

Also, if you use the word 'organise,' please spell it without the Z. Using Z in that word really annoys me. 

44 Kudos
jamjumpin

Replace selected components

by Valued Contributor jamjumpin on ‎06-24-2014 11:07 AM

There's a replace component command and a replace all command. I want to be able to shift click a bunch of parts and replace only the ones that are highlighted. 

Basically, I think that if multiple parts are selected, choosing the replace component command should replace all the highlighted ones. 

20 Kudos
blandb

Mirroring Parts

by blandb on ‎06-30-2014 08:35 AM

It would be nice to have the option turn a mirrored part into a fully functional independent part.

For Example: 

I have a part that is a true mirror, but at some point in the design, the part is no longer a true mirror. So instead of just

breaking the link, and having a base solid for old geometry, working features for anything new that was added. It would be nice

to get the features of the parent file, make these working features in the mirrored part so one could change the original geometry if needed,

instead of having to remodel the mirrored part to get editable initial features.

To try and clarify -

Turn a once mirrored part into a fully functional independent part with a right click or something. 

Just to be able to modify original geometry because the part is no longer a mirrored part, but not have it act like the mirroring of a solid, when one edits the original geometry the part flips, and then flips back when finished.

Currently my boss will not allow mirroring of parts due to the fact that parts will change at some point and no longer become true mirrors. He wants us to draw both right and left hand parts, even if they are identical, which kills productivity and has higher risk of human error. With this functionality, I could convince him to use mirror because at any point in time, the part could become non-mirrored and still have independent functional parts.

22 Kudos
MDLtd

Overdue Improvements to Inventor Sheet Metal:

by MDLtd on ‎06-26-2014 03:09 AM

Hi Guys,

Please find listed below my ideas (and some from Brian Cranston - thanks Brian) re possible improvements to Inventor Sheet Metal. Please feel free to add any that we have not already thought of:

1) Fully controllable gussets, including draft, etc. User drawn profiles allowing the construction of a gusset across two bends or across a non-linear bend)

2) Easy way to make press tools and add them to a library.

3) Zero gap hems.

4) Dimple tool.

5) Bead tool.

6) Louvre tool.

7) Obround punch tool should be unlimited in sizing (currently limited to 4 pre-set imperial choices only).

8) Better corner treatments.

9) Drawn cut-outs used to form open depressions with folded down/up edges (see image 1).

10) Conversion from outsourced CAD files straight into sheet metal with feature recognition.

11) Sheet metal create “Face” to show editable "sheet metal defaults" in the pop up menu.

12) Corner seam Face/Edge distance to accept “0” gap.

13) Punch tools need to have a preview of effect to changes of size geometry prior to application.

14) Joggle tool.

15) When using the flange tool to create adjacent return flanges the software automatically mitres the overlapping corners. This is also a requirement for some contoured flanges, but there is no facility to do this. Neither is there a facility for selecting multiple edges (chaining) when creating a contour flange (this is where automated mitres would also come in to play).

16) Emboss tool to displace metal if required (see image 2).

17) Allow punching across bends, the addition of beads and other punch tool features directly on the flat pattern.

18) Flat pattern suppression (for parts with high bend counts, without destroying drawing link).

19) All modification of bend allowance as part of the bend data. Sometimes bends stretch in a fashion that Inventor won’t predict. I’d like a box to add/subtract a value from the bend allowance.

20) Piercing & stretching tool (e.g. countersunk holes). This feature might be treated separately or grouped within item 9. It could also be used to create extruded threaded holes, another highly desirable addition (see image 3).

21) Content Centre to have full catalogues of sheet metal fasteners from “PEM,” “DZUS” and “TR” – and yes, I know that both PEM and TR have some identical parts.

Please Note: The ideas for items 18 and 19 should be credited to Mr. Brian Cranston.

Regards all,

Dave

MDLtd

www.mdltd.org

1 Kudo
admaiora

It's a trap ! - Minimize To Panel Button

by Active Contributor admaiora on ‎07-08-2014 05:46 AM - last edited on ‎07-08-2014 12:12 PM by Moderator Discussion_Admin

Hi guys,

this is quite a little thing.

I am referring to the "minimize to panel button" in the ribbon.

It's a ok tool...but its position can be a problem...a trap.. for the beginners... statistically a lots of new user will click (before or after..) the little button...and almost always they experience (due the sudden change of teh ribbon)  a sense of confusion and disorientation that increase their insecurity with the software ("Where are the tools? ""Why the software change?" "I remembered it different!."..).

And always frequently he didn't realize what has happened or clicked... with no idea how restore the normal ribbon bar.

It  is annoying  for the expert  too that distractely miss a click and click this tool without wanting it and he has to repair to the changed ribbon..

Just change the position of the tool in a "no so riskly click area", in a safe and "quit" area..

aa.jpg

For example.. here

bb.jpg

9 Kudos
info

Extrude extents

by info on ‎07-01-2014 11:46 AM

Hi everyone, It would be really great to have extra extrude options;

Sketchplane

Face/Surface/Plane

Offset

Extrude options.png

Pretty simple i think. :smileywink:

Grtz

VJ

1 Kudo
a.sima

Split tool faces using existing geometry

by a.sima on ‎07-08-2014 12:10 AM

Hello

Please change the split operation by letting us to use the existing geometry if we want! It is very annoying to create datum/work planes  or to thicken faces as surfaces to get the splitting tool. You are allowed to use faces (planar) to create drafts but to split faces you have to create planes or surfaces when the existing geometry could be used. I think the speed could be increased a little the speed this way and the part will be much stable. Think about a complicated part which need to have 10 (or more) split faces.

37 Kudos
GNR88

Sketch Point style

by GNR88 on ‎06-17-2014 03:30 AM

In the sketch environment it would be really great to be able to change the Point Style (similar to AutoCAD) so that when the point is placed at an intersection (Right) of two lines it can still be seen (example Left). I use points often to help with placement of multiple holes.

Point Style

11 Kudos
brendan.henderson

Fully constrained Bolted Connection

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-29-2014 06:29 PM

I've never understood why a Bolted Connection using the "Circular References" selection doesn't automatically fully constrain the BC. All that is needed is a final mate/mate constraint (or an imate) of 1 of the bolts to a matching hole (but not the first bolt - it's already done).

Instead the user needs to rotate the BC to a position where the hole and the bolt shaft can be seen and then a mate axis/ mate axis constraint applied.

bolted_connection_final_constraint.png

21 Kudos

If you choose a horizontal constraint and you realize that you need a vertical constraint, then you need to select the vertical constraint.
Despite the fact that we are now in 2015 get a preview to see what is horizontal or vertical.
Add a CTRL action, so that horizontal changes to vertical as soon as you press the CTRL.
Ditto for vertical to horizontal constraint.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube