New Idea
123 Kudos
bendesign04

Insert Constraint Lock Rotation

by bendesign04 on ‎12-14-2013 06:52 PM

I want the option to lock the rotation when using the insert constraint

9.JPG

Please disregard my last "ground" question. Just realized downstream modifications would break the insert constraints. -Dan
120 Kudos
crmayo

Transparent parts in assemblies

by Contributor crmayo on ‎08-28-2013 11:25 AM

Users of SolidWorks know how easy it is to make a part transparent.  This is real handy when you’re checking hole patterns, clearances, or showing customers concepts.  In Inventor you can change part transparencies by using “enable” or selecting an alternate material. If you uncheck enable, you lose the ability to select the part making it difficult to find in large assemblies.  Personally, I don't like switching back and forth between materials to make a part temporarily transparent.

I would like Inventor to have an easy transparency option like this:

make transparent.png

Hello Crmayo, When in large assemblies....You have the ability to window select (right-to-left) or cross select (left-to-right) components that are "Disabled" (Enabled = unchecked). If located in the browser, using the "Find in Window" command should also work nicely. Lastly the "Find Assembly components" tool can be used to locate parts in your browser. Set the Property: to "Enabled", set the Condition: to "is No" then select Find Now. Given this, please let me know if these would eliminate the need for a "Make Transparent" option. Thanks! -Dan
219 Kudos
cgusi

full use of multicore processor

by cgusi on ‎01-02-2013 01:54 AM

full use of multicore processor......

93 Kudos

Currently when creating holes, we have the options for Drilled, Counterbore, Spotface and Countersunk from the top only.

It could be beneficial to have these same options to add features to the bottom of the same hole.

hole_feature.png

82 Kudos
tsreagan

Materials Materials Materials

by Mentor on ‎05-13-2013 01:02 PM

The current material situation is a bit cumbersome.

as we have multiple material librarys,  and multiple appearance librarys. and too many combinations theirin.

You are close to the perfect solution for rendering and materials,  nearly anyway.

The materials physical properties alone should set the parameters for appearance.

Lets use aluminum as an example.

Ideal Scenereo - For most industries

1.    MATERIAL: User picks the physical material

ALUMINUM

2.    ALLOY: User then may check a box for particular alloy if need be, 

(the default alloy is set to a common standard that is then set as default in the template)

(the alloy modifies physical properties for the material,  apperance only changes if an alloy has visual affect)

ALUMINUM - 6061

3.    FINISH: User can then choose the finish or machining operation used on the material. (as material check box)

ALUMINUM - 6061 - R(x)          sets shine/reflect

or ALUMINUM - 6061 - Knurled       adds knurl bump map etc...

4.    COATING:  User can then choose a coating option.  Paint, galvanized, anodized, etc.

ALUMINUM - 6061- R(x) - Paint(RGB) Egshell

This presents the opportunity to add the finish and coating field to the BOM, if needed for finish and paint tracking.

This simplifies the library so I only have (1) aluminum.

If i edit that base material and make variants(with check boxes only),  it auto names them based on the options that have been checked, and you still have the ability to list it in the BOM as just the Base material name if you wish  ie.. Aluminum  as opposed to Aluminum - 6061 - R(x)... etc.  Otherwise the BOM can get too big.

The material library browser could be modified to easily show the check box options for a material in a table format.

The subname for the "user optioned" material in the library would be a combo of the above 4 catagories.

and the name that shows up in the BOM field under material could be listed in this long format, or just show up as Aluminum if a simpler BOM is required. and of course finish and coating could be turned on if needed there too.

With a system closer to this,  you never have to worry about naming, etc.  it is what it is.

Aluminum is Aluminum plain and simple.  it's real world finishes and surface processes modify the appearance further as an overlay to the original material.

Updating a material, would consist of adding more finish and surface options over time, since Aluminum itself does not change its nature... ever.  why would the material need constant updating version to version.

Make it a modular material system,  add modules over time.   So my Aluminum in 2014 will be the same as my aluminum in 2018, perhaps with a few new modules though.

You guys are close to a system that is this simple, intuitive, and realistic,  It's just not there yet.

Eventually this should evolve into a master industry library that covers every program across the planet.

so that my aluminum is the same in my Photoshop, Inventor, Poser, Revit, solidworks, 3dstudio, etc...

The renderers change,  the material charectersitics do not.

overrides will still be possible if you just want to play with funky colors and unrealistic materials though.

Anyway just a though on getting this material system standardized and simplified a bit further.

T.S.

78 Kudos
mrattray

Smarter Diameter Dimensions

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-04-2013 10:46 AM

Shouldn't Inventor know that this is a cylinder and should therefore have a diameter symbol? Let's have it pop in there on its own without me having to do an edit text operation on it and manually add it.

Capture.JPG

69 Kudos

In 2014 the Bill of Material Command was moved to the Manage Tab.  This command is used too heavily to be moved to a non primary Ribbon Tab.  Now if you added the ability to start the command from the RMB when no components are active I would have accepted that, but its not there either.  Now a user has to add it to their QAT or Customize the Marking Menu to get this very commonly used tool back.  This was a regression in 2014 for usability.

71 Kudos
coreyparks

Borders on feature patterns

by Valued Mentor on ‎03-28-2013 11:45 AM

We often make custom laser cut guard panels.  To do so we have to create the hole pattern we use laid out on the panel as we want to see it so we can get a cut path for the laser.  Very rarely do we create a panel that is just square with no other cutouts.  Many time these have cuts holes and odd shapes to the panels.  So when we create a hole pattern for the mesh guard we want we need to suppress many many holes to set it up while keeping a  border around the pattern.  It woul be nice if there was some way that we could say create this patten on this face keeping at least 1" of space between the edges of the part and the hole pattern.  See the attached pic for a simple guard I am currently drawing.  Anyone else think this might be useful?

pattern.PNG

8 Kudos
Cadmanto

The Need for a Civil and Revit Ideas Station!!!

by *Expert Elite* ‎03-25-2014 04:12 PM - edited ‎03-25-2014 04:29 PM

Ok, I know this has nothing to do with Inventor, but hey, had to start some where!!!

There should be an Idea Station for Civil 3D and Revit.  I can't believe that these two softwares are perfect and don't need any ideas for improvement.

So hey, can we see these two pieces of software have a location in which to post some ideas in?

Thank you!!!

We have passed this on to individuals/teams internally for consideration. Thanks.
70 Kudos
alundr

save to a previous version

by Active Contributor alundr on ‎12-19-2012 06:40 AM

Can we save/"save a copy as" to a previous version of inventor.  This is a great tool in autocad and it would be great to see it in Inventor.  We have sister companys that are currently using a newer version of Inventor and as a result, we can't open their files.  

50 Kudos
marshallw

Drainage pans for sheet metal

by Valued Contributor marshallw ‎12-31-2012 07:58 AM - edited ‎12-31-2012 08:07 AM

It would be nice to have a dimpling procedure in sheet metal (similar to sheet metal punch tools that create "feet" or other punched forms that do not actually cut a hole in the sheet metal face. Given a starting face, a dimple point and a dimple depth, crease  the face along the four crease lines to create a drainige pan or strengthening ribs.

Drain Pan 1.jpg

Drain Pan 2.jpg

The result is a piece of sheet metal with a depressed point at the "dimple" depth, slightly bent along the creasing lines.

Creasing sheet metal along 4 lines from a dimple point is a very common procedure for creating drain pans and strengthening sheet metal assemblies such as heating & air conditioning system conduits.

All "humble opinions" are considered on the Inventor Idea Station. Therefore I am modifying this status from "Solution Provided" to "Under Review". Thanks - Dan
44 Kudos

When adding members to a frame, instead of having to select the family and size and such have a selector to pick an existing member in the frame and make consume that selection to the Standard, Family, Size and Material Style. Could save a lot of time having to get frame member info BEFORE adding members to the frame.

CAPTURE.png

Fair enough Brendan. Changing status from duplicate to Under Review.
36 Kudos
adenobel

Keep drawing dimensions centered

by adenobel on ‎02-15-2013 07:11 AM

You can place a dimension text centered on a drawing, but if you change the length of a part the dimension text is not centered anymore. I would like to have an option to keep these dimension texts centered.

36 Kudos
Jaychale

Vault/Browser Integration

by Active Contributor Jaychale on ‎12-28-2012 10:13 AM

Does the Vault browser really need to be a seperate window?

Couldn't we just add the colored dot next to each part in the main browser?

33 Kudos
cgusi

Level of Details

by cgusi on ‎12-31-2012 01:03 AM

We experience a lot of problems with LOD. Inventor needs update a LOD when another LOD is active. If you are working in a drawing and the assembly is open, you can't save.

33 Kudos
alundr

measure function of input box

by Active Contributor alundr on ‎12-19-2012 06:48 AM

make the measure function in the dimension imput box function the same as the measure tool.  Currently, it will do edges and point to point, but not face-to-face or angles.

Capture.JPG

24 Kudos

We are finding when we create structural frames that the need to have a mid plane in the exact middle of the beam or pipe to be very useful.  What we are having to do is bring this piece in as custom and then add this mid plane.

This is even more of an issue when it comes to frame generator.  :smileymad:

Why is the default configuration of these CC parts with the plane on the end when there is already a flat surface there

and not smack dab in the middle of the structural member?  My suggestion is to move this plane to the middle.

24 Kudos
MattH_Work

Browser Folders in Part Environment

by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎02-14-2013 06:15 AM

Whilst I appreciate that we cannot move features up & down the browser without changing the Part (we are free to move components up & down in the Assembly, therefore browser folder 'restructurng' has no impact), it would be nice to have a second browser (ala the Vault browser) where we can sort, reorder, add to folders, the content of a file (group all extrusions, revolves, sketches etc)

Even if this was just a visual  display of the 'sorted' feature tree with no editing capability (maybe a right click option to 'Goto Feature' in main browser for editing) it would make it easier for finding, renaming etc

29 Kudos

I would like content center to support assemblies.

24 Kudos
cgusi

Icon of fully constraint component

by cgusi on ‎01-07-2013 02:09 AM

It's very good recognize components in assembly that have DOF=0. It may be realised changing icon in browser like full constraint sketch.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube