New Idea
11 Kudos
brendan.henderson

Fully constrained Bolted Connection

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-29-2014 06:29 PM

I've never understood why a Bolted Connection using the "Circular References" selection doesn't automatically fully constrain the BC. All that is needed is a final mate/mate constraint (or an imate) of 1 of the bolts to a matching hole (but not the first bolt - it's already done).

Instead the user needs to rotate the BC to a position where the hole and the bolt shaft can be seen and then a mate axis/ mate axis constraint applied.

bolted_connection_final_constraint.png

8 Kudos

Currently we can save templates or data conception in Vault :

Sans titre.png

...but Inventor is unable to use directly Vault files : you have to get them from Vault to local workspace, then the project file (or inventor options) define the location in the local workspace. So, if you modify a template, you have to detect the modification from Vault : this mean you open the templates tree and verifiy all status icons. If you see a red icon you manually update your local file.

It could be more practical to define the path directly in the Vault : with this method you are sure to always use an updated version.

2014-07-01_16h21_58.png

12 Kudos
stephenrottloff7259

Simplified drawing views

by Active Contributor stephenrottloff7259 on ‎06-26-2014 05:38 AM

Inventor creates drawing views that match parts and assemblies very well.  Certain geometry like non-linear shapes cause Inventor to use many geometrical elements to show this geometry within the drawing views.  This causes the geometrical element count in the drawing views to increase dramatically.  This level of detail is not always needed.  Sometimes we export and use the drawing views for layout investigations, user manuals etc. within other programs like Autocad and Illustrator.  The drawing views with high geometrical element counts cause issues with performance and sometimes makes the views unusable unless they are simplified.

I propose a new workflow when exporting drawing views, to have Inventor automatically detect high geometrical element count areas.  Then offer a way to replace these areas with user selectable patterns.  This may be similar to hatching an area.   These areas can be detected within a user definable threshold.  For example, if an area under 1 square unit of a drawing view has over 1000 geometrical elements, it could be identified and shown with an alternate pattern.

The attached PDF contains views of a simple plastic cover with a part that has features that cause high geometrical element counts.  The last view is the view after a simplification done within Autocad.  Only the area of high geometrical element count has been changed.

Thank you,
Stephen R.

52 Kudos
dts

Togle hole depth

by dts on ‎05-19-2014 06:55 AM

Sometimes you would like to measure the hole depth from the top to the point (so to make sure you have enough material left). Within the hole dialoge it's only possible to select the start of the bore cone:

Hole Wish To Point or Cylindrical refference.PNG

14 Kudos

Centered Pattern centerlines for bolt circles are very handy.  How about something similar for non-circular bolt patterns?  Centerline annotation that follows Pattern Feature data from the model would be quite uselfull.  To produce the drawing shown, each bolt pattern required the placement of four two-hole centerlines.  A single pick for the feature pattern would speed things up considerably.

This is a fairly simple part.  Imagine if it were a boiler tubesheet!

Centerlines.JPG

29 Kudos
scottmoyse

Transparent Model Browser

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-04-2014 12:53 AM

A lot of people seem to want a Solidworkesque or Fusion like transparent model browser. Solid Edge also has this. While it does provide more screen real estate, it can also be quite hard to read. So I hate to say it I like Solidworks implementation of it.

I would have it set to the current Inventor method most of the time. But having used Inventor HSM & HSMWorks, it aint half handy being able to add a transparent browser tree on the side of the HSM browser, there are a number of occasions where drilling down into components and features in the model browser would be very handy while keeping the CAM panels open. Figuring out what you need to do with holes, or checking draft angles etc.. 

So while I wasn't a fan, having seen how it can be leveraged during CAM (maybe even FEA) workflows, I definitely would like to see this appear as not only an option, but also as a secondary browser, just like Solidworks.... urggh, I feel dirty. ;-)

9 Kudos

Allow user to populate "Sheet Name" that appears in browser from iProperty of model or drawing file.  This would be populated from the first placed "Base" view of the active sheet.  See images below.

Edit Sheet Format.png

BROWSER.png

8 Kudos
ajcraig99

Scale Styles editor window properly

by Active Contributor ajcraig99 on ‎06-23-2014 09:11 PM

When the styles editor window is resized to work on larger parts lists styles, the window should scale properly.

This should take all of 5 minutes to change.

SCALE.JPG

44 Kudos
khosking

Center Mark - Multi-select align with edge

by Active Contributor khosking on ‎05-06-2014 07:41 PM

The below picutre shows a problem, where in an Inventor drawing when mutliple center marks are selected, the "Align to Edge" command only modifys one center mark and not all of the selected.

A user who has many center marks in their drawing must manually align them one by one, which would be time consuming, so it would be great if multiple center marks could be selected and aligned with one click.

Accepted idea as [US22731] Thanks
8 Kudos

I find it annoying that when I want to add a leader to a radial dimension, I can't. Instead I have to use the "Leader Text" command if I want an additional leader. Its included in the pull down on chamfers and leader text, can you please include it on radial dimensioning.

7 Kudos
pball

iLogic Event Trigger Before Print

by Mentor on ‎06-19-2014 09:36 AM

It would be nice to have an event trigger for before a drawing prints. This would be helpful for adding a printed date to a drawing. I've seen a few threads here and there about adding a printed date, but the only work arounds aren't perfect. One example is manually using an iLogic or VBA script to add the date then print it after that manually or with the script, the issue with that is some people won't use the script and I can't force them to.

With a before print event trigger it would be possible to modify the drawing automatically each time before it is printed.

11 Kudos

As it stands, if you include work features in your iPart table, so you can use them within an assembly at a later date (for various reasons). Then they are forced on permanently. Since the members are read only you can't turn off the visibility of the workplanes/features which were included in the iPart table.

Please can you add the option to control the visibility of the work features in some way... or add support for view reps in the iPart Table.

Even if the visibility of the Work Features is turned off, you can still select them from the assembly browser for whatever you need them for.

6 Kudos
graemev

"Smart" centered pattern centerlines

by Valued Mentor on ‎06-18-2014 09:48 AM

When creating a centerline for a bolt circle, it would be nice to do so in two picks: the first (as is current) for the circular feature defining the centerpoint of the pattern, the second defining the center of a bolt hole on the bolt circle to be annotated.  The program would place the circular centerline and place radial centerlines, much as it does now by individual selection, for every centerpoint falling on that bolt circle.  Individual radial centerlines should be individually selectable for purposes of hiding/deleting/suppressing as the user chooses later.

A feature pattern is recognized at the modelling stage as a "smart" feature - CC bolt placement, for example.  Why not when detailing at the drafting stage?  Ideally, though, placement would be geometry-based, not feature-based.

An additional option might be to have the first and second pick work as above, with additional picks generating additional bolt circles common to the original centerpoint reference.

43 Kudos
fsanchou

Measure circular filet's radius

by Active Contributor fsanchou on ‎04-07-2014 01:39 AM

Be able to directly measure the filet's radius (it is possible to do this by selecting the circles's center but they are not always available) :

radius filet.png

Best regards,

30 Kudos
kevinb

Content Center Structural Improvements

by kevinb on ‎04-25-2014 10:44 AM

1/2 should be between 7/16 and 9/16 on size lists.  It should not be after 1.

Order Sizes Properly.PNG

This is happening in 4", 5", 12" Flat Bar

Maintain consistency with fractions or decimals if they're lengths (both rect and sq tubes have this issue)

Mixing Decimals and Fractions.PNG

Going through the table is extremely obtuse since it doesn't tell you what dimensions conform to what.  Most of the time I'm chosing beam based on flanges or height rather than anything.

The size selection should also be improved with more information on what all the dimensions listed actually mean.  As is, I'm using either other charts or just place a piece and play with the change size feature to find the flange/web sizes I need.

Channel Dimensions.PNG

Tube and Pipes and what not where it's not by weight should also list weight per length.  Pipe/tube should also list volumetric capacity per length.  I should also be able to select material of member from this screen as sometimes I need to use stainless or aluminum or a different steel instead of the standard.  Being able to do end treatments from this screen to put them together later would also save time.

The frame generator can do a lot of this but constantly regenerates members when changes are made so I can't cut a slot or something into it and have it stay put.  (It also likes to list the parts length to a nats **** instead of just letting me round off sizes and fill in with weld.)

Beam Dimension Table.PNG

21 Kudos

I very often would like to use the origin planes of pipe fittings as projected geometry in my Tube & Pipe routes, in order to constrain to them and line up one route with a fitting on another without having to get out the calculator.  Content Center parts will not allow origin planes, work planes, points, axes etc to be toggled visible.  This does not affect the part geometry in any way and would be very helpful in routing.

show_hide.JPG

62 Kudos
Oesh01

Application Option Toggle for Command Dialog Box Appearance

by Oesh01 ‎02-27-2014 12:29 PM - edited ‎02-27-2014 12:37 PM

Allow the end user to decide what method to use for data entry when executing a command... for example, the "Extrude" command does not need both the traditional dialog box and the Mini-Toolbar.  Let the end user decide by placing an option in the "Application Options" within the program. 

Again, both of these are not needed and honestly make the program seem cumbersome.  Please finish implementing the Mini-Toolbars so that this option is available for your end users. 

Command Dialog Box.png

8 Kudos
LOONYLEN

iLogic Form Editor "Undo" button, anyone???

by Mentor ‎06-06-2014 02:00 PM - edited ‎06-06-2014 02:02 PM

I would like to ask that an "Undo" button be placed into the iLogic Form Editor.

Too many times I have deleted something that I needed to recall but, this option doesn't exist currently.

I think this would be a great addition to the Form Editor.

Yes, Yes, I already know that I should be positive about deleting something before it's deleted but, accidents do happen.

I'm only human...Just give me a break and "KUDOS" this please.

Besides, it's only a matter of time before it happens to you too. :smileywink:

13 Kudos
kevinb

Remove mass generated ipts from My Home

by kevinb on ‎05-23-2014 07:32 AM

My home notes when you've opened/edited the ipt files that are used in the piping environment.  This will cover the entire screen in a bunch of identical or nearly so pipes if you've edited a piping run recently.  Any file which is edited through frame generator or the piping generator should be excluded from the recent documents list and should only list the assembly it's part of.  Otherwise, you get a "most recent documents" list that looks like this:

Exclude piping.PNG

18 Kudos

While working deep within an assembly, sometimes it is difficult to identify target parts to assign constraints.  If multiple parts are overlapping, the target geometry options you have to select from are listed and the part geometry are highlighted.

It would be helpful to not only list the geometry options, but have the part names included so you know which part is being selected.  It would save time not having to temporarily hide multiple parts to isolate the target part.

Name of part not shown when constraining 2.png

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.
Labels

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube