New Idea
22 Kudos

If you choose a horizontal constraint and you realize that you need a vertical constraint, then you need to select the vertical constraint.
Despite the fact that we are now in 2015 get a preview to see what is horizontal or vertical.
Add a CTRL action, so that horizontal changes to vertical as soon as you press the CTRL.
Ditto for vertical to horizontal constraint.

19 Kudos

If you are working of projects for different countries and regions, it would be nice to have the Date format read from the Project File rather than the O/S. Currently you need to change the date format, you need to change your location within the operating system. It would be nice to have these options in the Project File.

Currently if you are in Canada they use DD-MM-YY and if your are in the US, it would be MM-DD-YY. It's fine once the number are equal and greater than 13. 01-12-14 could be the 1st of December or Januay 12th depending what side of the 49th you are on.

Switching the date in the O/S also messes up other dates on your system as well.

65 Kudos
fsanchou

Use the same color for icons in dialogs box

by Active Contributor fsanchou on ‎09-12-2013 01:17 AM

Icon_color.png

22 Kudos
johnstda

Countersunk-bored holes

by johnstda on ‎02-01-2014 12:22 AM

There's a fifth type of hole which is sometimes used in woodwork. It's a countersunk-bored hole. You simply use the coutersink bit to bored down into the wood after coutersinking the hole. It's used when hiding screw heads with wooden plugs. It's similar to a counter-bored hole feature except that instead of a flat bottom for the boring, it's an angled bottom, the same angle as countersinking.

15 Kudos
johnstda

Editing dimension type in Sketch Mode

by johnstda on ‎02-19-2014 06:45 PM

It would be good to be able to edit the dimension type (i.e. Aligned, Vertical, Horizontal) not only during the creation of the dimension, but also afterwards (by right-clicking on the dimension and selected from these 3 options). It's a bit quicker than deleting the dimension and starting again.

36 Kudos
jddickson

Attach Text to Balloons

by Mentor on ‎05-29-2013 12:11 PM

I think you would be really useful to have an interface that attaches text to balloons. Something like the image below where you can attach it to any side.

Attach Text to Ballon.jpg

Attach Text to Ballon 2.jpg

It would be nice if you double click the balloon and attach whatever you need. It would also never lose the link to the balloon.

After additional consideration, this Idea has been converted from Duplicate to Accepted. We understand that TYP. or REF. text tags are often times common on balloon annotations. Accepted idea [US21778]. Thanks!
9 Kudos
johnstda

Parameters combo box for entering dimensions

by johnstda on ‎01-29-2014 10:37 PM

It would be handy to have a combo box available when entering dimensions which lists all the available parameters. This would neglect the need to click on the right arrow and select "List Parameters". It would save one, possibly two mouse clicks, especially if the user were to "drag" the mouse to the appropriate parameter and release the button upon selection. Maybe the List Parameters could be removed altogether if this GUI method were introduced.

7 Kudos

Sometimes when I dimension between 2 points, I don't always want to use the default direction that the Alignment dimension type provides (i.e. the line connecting to the 2 points). A somewhat useful option is to select the the line / direction that the dimension is applied in, which may be entirely separate from the 2 points.

It's hard to explain, so I've attached 2 pictures of what I'm trying to express. "Not quite", is the default alignment direction, which although correct, is not always appropriate. In the 2nd picture, I've annotated the dimension between the 2 points in a direction parallel to the blue line. This is required to calculate the length of timber I need to start with before I start cutting the angles on the top and bottom (i.e. the timber runs along the blue line axis).

So maybe a 4th option could be "Custom Aligned", whereby the user selects a line on the drawing which determines the alignment direction.

7 Kudos

Often I need to splace slats at distances of say 1/4", 3/8" , etc. But to do this using the Rectangular Pattern and Spacing selected, I need to first enter the spacing as Width + Gap. It would be better to have an option (GAP) selectable in the combo box, so that instead, I can just enter the gap between regularly spaced objects and let the software figure out the width itself (bounding box maybe). It's a luxury feature, I admit, but it would still be nice.

6 Kudos

Sometimes when creating detail views I forget to select the correct Fence and Cutout shape. To correc this I need to delete the current detail view, which I've already annotated and create a new one. it would be nice to be able to simply modify these attributes of the detail view AFTER I've created it.

37 Kudos

It would be great to have function to get scale from base view in title block automatically (competing prodcts have this function)

I know it can be achieved through Ilogic, but it gives unnecessary complexity to a workflow, and it is time consuming if users uses more then a few sheets per drawing.

Accepted idea [US14416]. Thanks!
18 Kudos
MarkESmith

Outer Concentric Fillet

by Distinguished Contributor MarkESmith on ‎06-21-2013 02:38 AM

If you fillet an edge then place a hole - the hole can be placed concentrically to the fillet.

What about reversing the workflow?

Place the hole then use the hole as a reference to fillet the edge?

OUTERConcentric.JPG

4 Kudos
johnstda

Slot annotation

by johnstda on ‎02-21-2014 05:07 PM

I use a lot of rounded mortises in creating woodwork items which are essentially slots cut into the wood. I'm not sure if there is a standard notation for slots but it would be good if there was a command similar to the Hole command which could automatically annotate slots (eg. Slot Width x Slot Diameter x Slot Depth maybe). Maybe even a Centre Mark command which could recognise the slots as a complete entity and automatically insert two perpendicular centrelines would definitely be handy.

4 Kudos
johnstda

Multiple leader lines for hole callouts

by johnstda on ‎02-09-2014 10:25 PM

It would be good to have the ability to add leader lines to a hole callout, similar to the way you can with annotated text.

4 Kudos
johnstda

Isolate command for bodies in multi-body part

by johnstda on ‎01-28-2014 10:00 PM

As well as the HIDE OTHERS command when selecting a particular body in a multi-body part, it would be useful to have an ISOLATE command which permanently hides other bodies in the part. I'll give an example where this is useful.

Say I design a multi-body part and create a lot of views which I use to isolate each individual body (so I can generate separate drawings for each body) by selecting the appropriate view. Then as soon as I create another body within the Master View, this new body is added to each and every other view I have created, even though I have previously selected to HIDE OTHER bodies within each of these views. This is not my intended result. I want to isolate the body permanently. So despite generating new bodies either BEFORE or AFTER the creation of this view, the body is ALWAYS isolated, not just temporarily at the time of view creation.

Another option is to forget the ISOLATE command previously suggested, and just change the behaviour of the HIDE OTHERS command as I have already suggested.

3 Kudos

I use a lot of parameters in my drawings. As such I have to click on List Parameters when dimensioning something and then choose from the list box which pops up. It would be handy to have a combo box feature which lists all the available parameters from it. It would not only save one mouse click, but possibly two, if the user decides to "drag" their selection and choose it on the "mouse up" event when selecting the appropriate parameter. If this feature were implemented, maybe the List Parameters menu option could be removed from the dimensioning pop up altogether and use my method instead. It would surely make entering parameter dimensions a lot quicker.

2 Kudos
johnstda

Woodworking edge Profiles

by johnstda on ‎02-04-2014 10:32 PM

In addition to the typical chamfer and fillet/radius edge profiles, I would like to see the ability to simply select a standard woodworking edge profile to machine the edges of parts. I've included only a small sample of the available profiles. They typically fall into certain groups and then have each of their associated dimensions changed to suit. It would be quicker than manually drawing the profile and then sweeping along edges, especially when there are standard types available.

6 Kudos
acanfield

Supress original hole for pattern start

by Valued Contributor acanfield on ‎08-05-2013 06:44 AM

When creating a pattern 9 times out 0r 10 the part is reviewed & the first hole is the one which requires supressing - can this be modified? so the first hole can be supressed?

2 Kudos

It would be good to allow to use the same node name in the Features tree view as a node in the Solid Bodies tree view. Currently, I have to enter two different names (one for the Features tree view and a sligthly different one for the Solid Bodies tree view). For example, if I create an extrusion called
"Back", I can't then rename the newly generated Solid Body node "Solid1" to "Back" as well. So I usually call the feature "Back Profile" and the Solid Body "Back". But it would be good to be able to name them indentically for easy reference. 

A step further would be to automatically link the names, especially for solid generating features (Extrude, Revolve, Loft or Sweep). So when the feature node name is renamed, the associated soild body could be renamed too, or the featured could be called "<Solid body name> + Extrusion".

6 Kudos
cgusi

Positioning an Hole from an existing hole

by cgusi on ‎06-19-2013 01:13 AM

Increase the method to positioning an hole selecting an existing hole.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube