New Idea
8 Kudos

Currently we can save templates or data conception in Vault :

Sans titre.png

...but Inventor is unable to use directly Vault files : you have to get them from Vault to local workspace, then the project file (or inventor options) define the location in the local workspace. So, if you modify a template, you have to detect the modification from Vault : this mean you open the templates tree and verifiy all status icons. If you see a red icon you manually update your local file.

It could be more practical to define the path directly in the Vault : with this method you are sure to always use an updated version.

2014-07-01_16h21_58.png

10 Kudos
kwilsonamerex

Link texture size approriately to units

by Mentor on ‎05-29-2014 02:13 PM

I'm not sure how many of you out there runs into this but I would really love it if Inventor changed the texture scaling based off the units. Right now if you have your units set to inches the texture scale is by default set to feet. Obviously this because a tedious issue if all of your parts are relatively small because if you use custom textures you have to rescale each texture just so it looks somewhat decent. It would be really nice if your units was set to inches then your texture scale would also be set to inches. If you use feet for unit then make it so it changes back to feet for texture scale. Same for mm, cm, etc. It would save your users valuable time of having to rescale the texture to properly fit the parts. We do this A LOT with knurled surfaces and it gets old lol.

image scale.jpg

7 Kudos
dts

Export inventor animation to FBX

by dts on ‎05-19-2014 07:09 AM

It would be a great added workflow to be able to export all animations (a presentation file, an inventor studio animation, a dynamic simulation) to an FBX format. 

The FBX you then could use in Showcase or Max to focus on the added value of those software packages instead of recreating those animations (try to recreate a dynamic simulation in Max, it'll never be as good as you can in Inventor). So adding an environment, adding materials like sand or water and other effects like the sparks of welding.

An example would be this dynamic simulation -  Inventor studio rendering: http://a360.co/121481d

24 Kudos
JHUNT107

File Import Linear Workflow

by JHUNT107 on ‎03-07-2014 12:30 PM

Importing files can work well but only if you're really paying attention. I frequently see users who are not aware of the options for translation because they don't see them pop up in their face. I see the options as "side step" that must be remembered each time instead of the linear workflow that Inventor should provide.

IDEA: Remove the "Options..." button. Launch the "Import Options" immediately after clicking "Open".

Of course the user should have the option to "set defaults and never prompt me again". Defaults would need to be set for each filetype.

TranslateOptions.png

22 Kudos
masureb

Adanced Select Tools in Sketch needed

by Contributor masureb on ‎02-24-2014 07:57 AM

Hello All,

As an old SolidWorks Users, I'am looking for some great options missing in the sketch editor from my new love, Inventor of course! More specifically in the advanced selection tools it's a no man's land.

I would like to add this 5 tools to be as productive as I was in my ex-Love:

1. Box Selection
  2. Lasso Selection
  3. Tangent Selection
  4. Loop Selection
  5. Partial Loop Selection

For example, in Inventor if you have one face. Easy: you select the face and apply the projected edge to get the loop.

But if you've got multiple faces, try without click and click and click again! (frustrating to get this waste of time for a simple feature missing)

Here is my wishes to get the chain of the tangent profile. A bit of my ex-love inside the new one:

24-02-2014 16-38-29.png

Hope I was clear,

-Bertrand MASURE

5 Kudos
mthomas

Inventor Publisher for Presentations

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-30-2014 11:02 AM

What if Inventor Publisher was "sucked" into the Design Suite and workflows were added to move the data between Inventor and Publisher. The Publisher environment is already slick, intuitive, and easy to use specifically for tweaking components and creating exploded assembly views. Where it lacks is on the annotation and documentation side of things.

So you’d push your Inventor assemblies into Publisher to create the views (exploded and other) and add the tweaks and trails. This would be similar to how it is now, except Publisher could be expanded to work with the View, Positional, and Level of Detail representations. Like Mockup 3D or any other of applications a button is created in Inventor to send the data to Publisher.

A concern is that Publisher performance isn’t the greatest with large assemblies, but could always be addressed in future versions.

The new functionally would be to have the ability to create associative Inventor drawings using the Inventor Publisher file. You could then dimension, balloon, annotate and insert Parts Lists into the drawing referencing the Inventor & Inventor Publisher data.

Additionally importing Publisher files into Showcase could be developed for creating renderings of your Publisher files.

2 Kudos
millejm85

RMB Open Drawing from Vault

by millejm85 on ‎05-27-2014 08:29 AM

While working in a Vault project the ability to right click on the model tree and "Open Drawing" only looks for the drawing file in the local Vault directory. If I have not yet opened the drawing and checked it out the file will not be found.

This is a common workflow for me when making updates and revising parts. I will open a top level assembly and drill down to specific parts that will need changes. Then I can make my model changes and simply RMB and "Open Drawing" to revise the drawing.

Also when using this workflow you recieve the message warning that the local data is NEWER than the data in Vault, would you like to overwrite? Using the default selection will download the Vault drawing copy and overwrite all of the changes you made to the part file. This doesn't make any sense to me! 

16 Kudos
JHUNT107

Task Scheduler Export IGES, STEP, SAT, etc

by JHUNT107 on ‎01-08-2014 11:36 AM

Inventor Task Scheduler can IMPORT multiple formats into Inventor but it cannot batch export to standard 3D formats (IGES, STEP, SAT, etc). As shown below, only DWG is an option. 

I want to have the same CAD formats available to export in Task Scheduler that I am able to do in Inventor.

Inventor 2012 Task Scheduler Export Options.png

5 Kudos

Many times I need to export sheet metal flat patterns referenced by the assembly to dxf for cutting or laser machine. I know I can program this in VBA (actually I did) or purchase it on Autodesk exchange apps from Micrographics , but I think it should be standard part of Inventor. This Micrographics application has also nice additional features - removing center marks, replacing splines with polylines or arcs (desperately needed for CNC control ) and more. It can be very useful. Also , it should make list of parts exported , with thickness and number of pieces for export to excel.

24 Kudos

Add task to batch convert drawings to PDF. Currently there is no easy way of doing this. 

6 Kudos

Just a couple of small ideas.

It would be nice if the export/save to PDF function had a few options.

Currently the Save as PDF option saves several layers into the PDF that can be turned off independantly and printed.

If we give a drawing out this means that someone can turn our border off and give the document out as their own drawing. It has happened.

One solution we came up with was to install CutePDF writter. It comes up as a printer and doesn't produce any layers in the PDF file, making it harder to steal the information. It would be nice if Inventor could do this without having to install some third party software.

When we looked into protecting our PDF files we also considered watermarking. We came up with a solution, but I find it annoying when Inventor does not already provide this feature. The student version already contains a watermark so would it be such a big leap to give us access to add our own watermarks?

Regards

Kenny

4 Kudos

Hallo togehter,

I think it would be a nice feature if there is the possibility to define a pattern of elements or bodys in part or parts in assembly, by selecting another pattern in the assembly for example. Or by selecting a sketch.

So it would be possible to define patterns with unsimilar gaps between to positions. For example you have a straight pipe and you need 3 inlet positions on it. The first position at 0mm, the second at 200mm and the third at 600mm. All inlets are similar. This could be possible with a sketched path with positioning points i think.

Best regards,

David

2 Kudos
kwilsonamerex

Please add OBJ export

by Mentor on ‎04-09-2014 06:55 AM

I do a lot of rendering and animations in products outside of the Autodesk realm by using our Inventor models. Currently I have to take these models into 3DS Max just so that I can export to an OBJ file format that is used widely in the CGI world. I would love to finally have an OBJ exporter from within Inventor.

3 Kudos

In Inventor Dynamic Simulation, when you have to manage multiple kinematic chains, it’s quite hard to synchronize all different settings.

Could be of great help to have an unique window box, in which you can check the status of all the animated joints.

Something very similar of what we already have in Inventor Studio.

TimelineBC2.jpg

2 Kudos
jletcher

One time should be good on save

by *Pro on ‎02-27-2014 05:19 AM

Can we please get rid of the multiple save crap..

If I start a drawing and hit save when I hit the X to close why does Inventor ask to save again? When nothing was done..

How many clicks does it take to save?

I am not sure who Autodesk has as lead programmer but the person must love the sound of a clicking mouse because he sure added many more to do the same thing..

8 Kudos
kwilsonamerex

Export to CAD format from IPN file

by Mentor ‎08-08-2013 09:09 AM - edited ‎08-08-2013 09:14 AM

I've modeled my nice fancy assembly. I've created a great looking exploded view of it in an IPN file. Now I want to use that exploded view in software other than Showcase or other Autodesk product. Heck maybe I want to use the IPN file in 3DSMax...yet I can't.

Please add the same export options you allow in an IAM file as you do in the IPN file. STEP, IGES, DWF, SAT, etc would be really nice to have!!

ipn export wishlist.jpg

9 Kudos

When exporting to Autocad DWG file there are some options available, Layout, Model etc.. but the most requested option is missing: customers would like to export IDW to Layout DWG as it is in Inventor PLUS the model views in 1:1 scale connected to the layout views, as it is in pure Autocad.

This is partially achievable with Inventor DWG opened in Autocad, but customer would like a pure unlinked to Inventor clean Autocad DWG.

7 Kudos
PaulMunford

Dynamic blocks/symbols in drawings

by *Expert Elite* on ‎07-23-2013 01:53 PM

Please can we have support for Dynamic blocks/Sketched symbols in IDW/DWG drawings... I know - how about we use the ones we already have in AutoCAD :smileyhappy:

10 Kudos
LT.Rusty

Piping: P&IDs / Isometric Drawings

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-02-2013 03:24 PM

Why does Inventor include these wonderful tools for creating piping ... and then not have any system available for documenting them in an industry standard way?  I know I can export them as a .PCF ... but unfortunately Plant 3D doesn't import .PCF, and the tech preview that would do it has expired.

Meanwhile ... my client wants P&ID's & piping isos, and that means that I can't use Inventor, and have to look for a different package to spend more money on.

11 Kudos
MattH_Work

Inventor Studio - FBX Export / Import

by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎02-01-2013 02:54 AM

Would be nice to have ab FBX export option, so that animations that have been set up in Inventor (camera, constraints etc) could be rendered in Showcase or 3DS Max

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.
Labels

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube