Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMates

iMates

1.- Need to reuse iMates once consumed.: Once you use an iMate to assemble it can't be reused. Great for "one to one" parts, but awful to "multiple to one" parts

2.- Infering iMates Dialog box to choose wich kind of constraint to apply.: When you infer iMates from a Hole Feature it get Insert by default. There has to be some way to change that default.

3 Comments
dvsmiller9
Advocate

This would be great for our PCB assemblies.  Currently we mate each surface mount part to the PCB surface using face to face mate constraints to ensure the part actually sits on top of the PCB and then move it into position and ground it (more constraints on some assemblies would grow ridiculously).  If we could define an imate on the PCB and re-use it to attach multiple parts to it, each with it's own imate half, it would be a huge timesaver. 

Pete_Mort
Advocate

I've just created mating halves of a PCB header/crimp receptacle and added imates which work fine at the assembly level but do not work when the PCB header is part of a sub-assembly as it will be in reality.

I understand from the link below that the workflow is to add the imates to the PCB assembly but what happens when the PCB assembly is effectively a sub assembly at the assembly level at which the mating connector/harness is? 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/imates-impovements-request/idi-p/3910947

The current workflow is poor!

It would be much more efficient to be able to promote selected imates for use higher up in the assembly (not just the next level).

c3304153
Community Visitor

Definitely need this. Just like you can share a sketch, and use it many times.

Example.

Placing lots of components to a floor or bench top.

You could have a imate on the floor called "floor" for example.

then in all my library parts, they could have a matching one called floor.

If i have 30 unique parts to put onto floor, i can only do it once at this point in time.

If i could set the one on the floor to "share" or "reuse" , I could place all 30 parts fast.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report