Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

String Replace for iLogic Design Copy

String Replace for iLogic Design Copy

The iLogic Design Copy tool is currently the best tool Inventor users who do not use Vault have for copying designs:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/3364-Show_Me_3364/3365-Show_Me_3365/3747-iLogic3...

However, the inability to perform a string replace makes the iLogic Design Copy tool unusable for many design departments. Many people don't want to add prefixes or suffixes to the file names, but instead want to modify or replace the existing name.

Example1:

I want to copy the files named 45-001 Rev 1.iam and 45-001 Rev 1.idw and name them 45-001 Rev 2.iam and 45-001 Rev 2.idw. The iLogic Design Copy does not do this well. I would need to have files named 45-001.iam and 45-001.idw and add the revision information as a suffix. But that is a departure from the company naming convention.

Example2:

I want to copy all of the files for my project 45-001 and rename them to start the 46-001 project. The iLogic Design Copy does not do this well. I would need to have files named -001 and add the 46 as a prefix, which doesn't even make sense.

Additionally, this tools should probably be renamed to remove the word iLogic. Since many new users don't realize that iLogic is not required to use this tool, it is not discovered.

Concerning Autodesk Vault: Reusing existing designs is one of the best practices that Autodesk continues to preach, and yet they have yet to provide a solid, flexible tool for non-Vault users to do this. There are many design departments that will never be able to use Vault due to the mix of other files the engineering department uses that can not be stored in Vault, therefore providing the design copy tools in Vault only should be reconsidered.

Overall the iLogic Design Copy tool is a very effective tool, but it needs to be more flexible to make it usable by many people who would like to be using it right now.

26 Comments
SBix26
Mentor

This is our situation exactly.  We do not use Vault, and we occasionally copy whole projects with only a change to the Project Number in the string.  Using Design Assistant (our current best practice) is a lengthy and tedious task, especially because every file name change results in a "corruption" of the Part Number iProperty, which in our scheme does not change with a Proj # change.

A string replace ability in iLogic Design Copy would make us very, very happy!

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

kevin_park
Autodesk

it must be!!

there are a lot of users want to use inventor itselft without Vault.

and idea creation stage, people don't think about file naming scheme , after something done, they need to change the file names as their scheme rule but no way to replace the name just in Inventor.

iLogic Design Copy could be the best ansswer for this if it has string replacement feature.

TYaw_C
Alumni

Yes. Indeed. I would love to have "Where used" scanner too. Yes I'm aware of Design Assistant & Vault. DA interface is primitive. Yesterday I have shown iLogic Design Copy(iDC) and existing old customer receiving this very well. Perhaps it is the iDC UI is better or the performance or the convenience within Inventor. Moreover DA is an old VB application that may either doesn't update with performance or UI that making customer not having any new expectation.

LOONYLEN
Advocate

Gentlemen,

When using iLogic Design Copy, I would like the ability to add a new part number to the copied files.

Currently, we can only add a prefix or suffix to the original part number.

This prevents me from being able to use this tool within my organization.

Please consider this enhancement.

ilogic_design_copy.png

Tags (3)
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi Inventor users,

There is a related idea at this link, please consider giving both of these ideas your support:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/String-Replace-for-iLogic-Design-Copy/idi-p/38213...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

steve.west
Advocate

I have installation issues with Vault that I haven't had time to resolve yet. Any other method of copying a design would be useful. We sometimes have to produce a repeat copy of an existing design but with a different project number, usually with small modifications or refinements. We can't simply modify the original as the original model/drawings drawings have to represent the actual condition of that original project.

We are not doing large volume assemblies, rather one-off bespoke designs. There must be a viable alternative to Vault for this application.

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Copy Machine.jpg

String Replace would have prevented this act of violence. Smiley Sad

admaiora
Mentor

Smiley Very Happy

I want this tool!

acb

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Please look at the picture

EXAMPLE: 

number: 10-111-0123

Replace: 10-111

With: 11-222

New number: 11-222-0123

iLogic Design Copy-NEW FUNCTION.png

david
Advocate

I was about to post exactly the same request.

I had this feature on NX and I really miss it on Inventor (as a few other things...)

Please, implement it fast!

SBix26
Mentor

The most robust tool for this purpose is the Copy Design found in Vault Workgroup & Pro.  It's already pretty much written, why not port that tool & interface into Inventor?  Greatly needed, and iLogic Copy Design and Design Assistant would no longer be needed, perhaps.

Sam B

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi all

This could work as follows: https://www.woodworkforinventor.com/support/how-to/assembly-prototype-copying/

Click on the video link.

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

I think Autodesk could buy woodwork? -))) It could also buy developers?-)

gregory_nickol
Advocate

I can't imagine that it would take more than a few days for someone with knowledge of the iLogic Design Copy tool and basic UI creation to add in the ability to set the names manually instead of prefix/suffix. The framework is all there to make the tool function perfect (and by perfect I mean good enough for me to be happy).

greg_rhine_ruhr
Observer

Name changing made easy would be a game changer. I'm pretty sure it can be done if you want to pay the extra $$$$ using Vault Professional. Would be a great product update for Inventor.

ecbYXAXZ
Community Visitor

Hi!

We also waste a lot of time copying and renaming a large number of file.  We use the work order number as a prefix 8675309_WBA0001.ipt thru 8675309_WBA1111.ipt and want to copy it to 9035768_WBA0001.ipt thru 9035768_WBA1111.ipt.  So a copy function where you could say copy "8675308*.*" to "9035768*.*" is very desirable to a lot of people. 

Thanks,

Eric

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor
dusan.naus.trz
Advisor
gcoombridge
Advisor

This is exactly what I need! Haha gathering support since 2013 doesn't give me much hope though... 

JBerns
Advisor

With only 20% of Inventor users using Vault, I would think there would be a lot of users that could benefit from this enhancement to iLogic Copy Design.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report