Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

derived part replace model reference

derived part replace model reference

ability to change or replace the model reference in derived part/assembly. look at this discussion http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Derived-Part-Replace-Model-Reference/m-p/3062998#M40...

36 Comments
tmonty
Contributor

I have added a comment to the original post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Derived-Part-Replace-Model-Reference/m-p/3064768/hig...

This is an iLogic rule from Mike Deck at Autodesk.  It should give you what you are looking for.

This is a workaround and I agree with your request that this functionality should be built-in to Inventor.

ic198
Advocate

I have tried the iLogic method but it only seems to work if you are replacing parts with the same ancestry. It would be great if Inventor could do this without iLogic, and with parts with different ancestry.I think the ability to replace individual Work Features would be very helpful, independentaly and as part of replacing derived parts- see an idea I posted before

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Replace-Work-Feature/idi-p/3784676

michael_marx
Advocate

i don´t want a limited workaround 🙂

I´ve got a workflow where derived parts have to be replaced with different parts not only with ancestry ones. And the other thing is i´ve got multiple derived parts in one part so i have to choose which one should be replaced.

karthur1
Mentor

When using the code that Mike Deck developed with parts of a different ancestry, I get this message

2014-01-31_1336.png

In Fusion360, if I export out a model and then edit it in Inventor, I can upload the new "version" back into Fusion. Sort of seems like the same functionality we are asking for here.

Quickcola
Enthusiast

I should be able to replace derived parts. It would be useful when copying existing assembly that contain derived parts and making small changes. Within my assembly I have parts that have been slightly modified, new part numbers, and other parts that start from those parts using the derived part function which I also saved under new part numbers. But I can't seem to just replace the link towards the new part number of the part I now want it to start from.

karthur1
Mentor

I agree with you.  This should be part of Inventor..... hopefully it will be soon.  In the meantime, look at this thread on the Inventor forum.  I use this quite a bit and it works great.

Kirk

Quickcola
Enthusiast

@karthur1 wrote:

In the meantime, look at this thread on the Inventor forum.  I use this quite a bit and it works great."

Thank you Karthur,

I will be trying out this ILogic rule soon.

I just think it's sad that Inventor users have grown accustomed to figuring out all these workarounds to compensate for lacks in Inventor. Especially when Autodesk's competition have already implemented and fine tuned allot of these things.

scottmoyse
Mentor

You can also install Vault Basic... use Copy Design, then the replace tools. You then gain all the PDM benefits even single employee companies should take advantage of.

livewire77
Enthusiast

Picture says it all.

Replace mirrored component.jpg

Tags (3)
guido_66
Advocate

Technically a mirrored component is the same as a derived component. The same functionality already has been requested for derived components:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/derived-part-replace-model-reference/idi-p/390982...

If that idea will be implemented, yours will be automatically included.

Christopher.Jarr
Explorer

I have used the ilogic solution posted here to replace derived componets several times seems to work pretty well.

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2012/12/ilogic-replace-derived-reference.html

stuartmp
Advocate

I agree this needs to be fixed.

I just temporally rename the derived part then open the part and when inventor complains it can not find the derived part browse and select the new part you with to use as the derived part.

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor
Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant
Cottee9
Enthusiast

When deriving a part, have a function to replace model/part reference, i.e. change the base component. This function is available in the manage tab for drawings.

Tags (2)
machiel.veldkamp
Collaborator

Hi! You can do that with this iLogic rule:

Dim oDoc as Document
oDoc = ThisDoc.Document
Dim oRefFile As FileDescriptor
Dim oOrigRefName As Object     

For Each oRefFile In oDoc.file.ReferencedFileDescriptors
'get the full file path to the original internal ref3erences
oOrigRefName = oRefFile.FullFileName

'present a File Selection dialog
Dim oFileDlg As inventor.FileDialog = Nothing
InventorVb.Application.CreateFileDialog(oFileDlg)
oFileDlg.InitialDirectory = oOrigRefName
oFileDlg.CancelError = True
On Error Resume Next
oFileDlg.ShowOpen()
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Return
ElseIf oFileDlg.FileName <> "" Then
selectedfile = oFileDlg.FileName
End If

'replace the reference
oRefFile.ReplaceReference (selectedfile)     
InventorVb.DocumentUpdate()
oOrigRefName = ""                                        
Next

iLogicVb.UpdateWhenDone = True

Great idea!

Cottee9
Enthusiast

Must admit I have never used iLogic rules so wouldn't know how to use it.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @Cottee9, this is a great idea and it's actually been requested before. Please consider casting a vote for the original to help get this suggestion recognized. Original: derived part replace model reference (currently 42 votes).

Also, the iLogic workaround does work but it's not perfect. It doesn't really work if you have more than one reference derived into your Part. The built-in solution, when implemented, should allow you to right-click on a specific derived reference and replace it.

DRoam
Mentor

Some loosely related ideas:

pasi.annila
Advocate

I wish I could change model refernce of derived part from part modeling window.
You can change part / assembly reference in drawing - use this same opertation to change model reference in derived part.

In case I make a copy of model that includes normal and derived parts that has reference to normal part (can be mirrored). I now have to close all models and manually change the reference with design accelerator. This is way too slow and difficult and for no reason.

(Also in assembly if there is (parameter table) link to ipt it could be changet this way too - or directly from parameter table itself).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report