Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy with constraints

copy with constraints

I would like the option to copy a part in an assembly and have the copied part have copied constraints that are the same.  That way I can go back and edit them later.

37 Comments
Kyle.Arnold
Enthusiast

Hello,

Many times I have seveal dozen occurences of a part in a single, large assembly.  I have to go in and add a max/min mate/flush constraint on many of these parts to allow them to be oriented properly.  Granted, this process can be done with pattern, however, 9 times out of 10 these cannot be patterned due to uneven spacings. Also, correctly orienting the part in the initial part model would not help since some parts need vertical constraints, while others need horizontal.  The ability to constrain several parts at once would help out greatly.  It could be a full on constraint or just an orientation (max/min/offset) constraint. So for example a procedure:

Currently to fix part orientation:

1.) Place parts (let's call them cable clamps, for this example's purpose, something basic... Regtangular box shape (3"W x 2"H x 1"D) with bolt through the center of Width x Height face, 2 holes spaced symmetrically on Width x Depth face to run 2 cables through)

2.)  Constrain (insert) circular edge between bolt and clamp to circular edge of mounting location.

3.) Constrain (mate/flush) XZ plane (or any plane/face) of a part to correct orgin plane (or face) of assembly to orient part correctly.

4.) Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each occurence.

Proposed:

1.) Place parts from above.

2.) Select parts in browser, right click, constrain selected. XZ plane of part, flush to XY plane of assembly (or face, edge, etc.) with maximum of... whatever, 5000 in. (just to get correct orientation)

3.) Constrain (insert) circular edge between bolt and clamp to circular edge of mounting location.

4.) Repeat only step 3 for each occurence.

Proposed for (I call them full on constraints [no max/min/offset])

1.) Place parts.

2.) Constrain all YZ planes or a particular face of parts to a particular face (plane) in assembly.

3.) Insert constraints at circular edges.

4.) Repeat only step 3.

Hope this is easy to follow.  I can't exactly post a screenshot... company rules and such...

Anymore input, alternative solution, something I don't know?

Thanks,

Kyle

srtlilly
Explorer

If only we could break a pattern into seperate pieces and constrain them individually would help too.

schnautza
Advocate

This is a must-have...

Sometimes I'll have 200+ of the same part that will all lay flush in one plane but not in a regular pattern.

The most logical method to me would be to select all parts, select one face (which will reference the same face on all parts) and then constrain them all to one plane at the same time. 

That's a HUGE time saver.

timdown73
Collaborator

If I'm understanding your idea correctly, this is already possible in Inv 14.  If I have two parts constrained to each other and copy said parts into another assembly, their constraints come with them into the new assembly.  The only constraints that don't come over are ones that are not relevant to only those two parts.

adurr
Contributor

I am trying to copy a part into the same assembly that it is already in.  Like copying a pin that goes into several holes.  That pin would use the the same kinds of mates, but i would just need to select the new surfaces to mate to.

timdown73
Collaborator

A few plug ins are mentioned in this thread, which I believe may be what you are asking for here.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Repeat-Components-in-Assembly-Mode/idi-p/3687960

MDS-MQ
Advocate

You should play with the Copy Components button in the assembly toolbar.

Xun.Zhang
Alumni

Add more detail information here.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/copy-and-paste-constraints/m-p/3575160/hig...

I work on the basis of "KISS" keep it simple stupid!

in the  software world the software needs to be simple and inventor should have simple cut and paste features in assemblies.

in windows cut and paste is in every bit of software and it is not only simple to use in general it is simple to think about using it i,e if you want to cut and paste something then do you simply select it copy it and paste it.

if you have to think about a pattern and then a pattern type we have already made it far to complicated.

i-mates also need thought at the design stage to make them work.  this is a simple solution and i am sure it is simple to implement if it gets past being over complicated by Autodesk.

a typlical scenario:

i have a large assembly and i have designed a bent bracket with a probe on the end, this is bolted to the assembly via a bolt, a washer and a nut and i want to repeat this around the assembly in different locations and faces.

the simple way to do this would be to select the bits with a window select via the mouse, copy and then paste where the mouse is pointing which would be near to location it will go, repeat this as many times as required. and then we would be left with the selected parts all mated together but a couple of hole constraint issues on each set which could either:

a) be updated to the new hole location it should be a case of updating two hole constraint's for each hole location

b) when pasted then the constraint's that were fixed to the original hole which would just be two for the group of bits will be deleted when pasted so that they can be re constrained

or

c) the autodesk programmers add a bit of smartness into the function where if you copy from a hole and put it in another hole it would update to the new hole constraightns automatically, and in reality if your copying and pasting a selection of parts then it is highly likely they will have the same constraints but in a new location.

this should not be difficult to do and we were promised it  several years ago as a good wish list item to sort and i hope it gets sorted soon

regards

Adrian

In some cases, the designer might need several instances of the same component in an assembly.  Normally one might use a pattern, but if the array of components is not in a linear or circular pattern, those tools won't work.

In that case, using the copy-paste tools are an easy way to get the components into the assembly.  If these new components have the same constraints to the base assembly, but different offsets, the designer has to repeat the same constraints.  It would be nice if there was a copy command that included the constraints that are applied to the source component.  The "other side" of those constraints could be left open until the designer selected the new geometry in the base assembly.

PTC/Creo has the repeat command in assemblies that works that way.  The repeat command does not require defining any constraints (iMates) in the source components.  It is very powerful and IV should have something like it. 

DRidgeway
Contributor

I want to copy a component, and all subsequent instances of that component will be located with the same constraints.  Assuming of course a pattern or feature place isn't a good solution.

I would like to have that component enter, and a way to insert the missing references to those constraints.  You can even select to reuse previous constraints in a case by case basis.  So I have a parallel plane constraint that would persist and prevent rotation of all hardware.  

The only issue I see here is the way Inventor handles constraints one at a time, as opposed to a group in the same entry. And of course the difficulty it has visually showing you what the previous constraint looked like so you would correctly select each one.

Seems like a pipe dream given the tedious way of constraining currently, but I can dream.

Tags (1)
DRoam
Mentor

I like your thoughts. This would be nice even if it only worked when copying and pasting into the same assembly, for cases like you mentioned when a pattern isn't a good solution.

But I also like the idea of being able to paste into a different assembly and have a nice walkthrough for re-defining lost constraints. But you're right, that does invlove a lot more complications. It would be neat if when pasting into a new assembly, there were some sort of "ghost projection" of what was involved in the constraint in the previous assembly. But that's getting pretty intricate and probably not very practical. 

Interesting thought about groups of components, too. I like the idea, even if it does seem like a pipe dream.

DRoam
Mentor

A couple other ideas:

This one I created and is a very similar concept: Multi-child Constraint (14 votes)

This one is probably an even better solution for most situations: Table driven patterns (135 votes)

If we had a table-driven pattern tool, then the multi-child constraint/multiple occurrence constraint would only be necessary when you want to "pattern" a bunch of different parts.

dom.castonguay
Advocate

Hi,

So basicly I would like to see a feature named like "Copy with constraint" that would copy a part or subassembly inside your main assembly with its already applied constraint. You would then be able to paste the part into the assembly by selecting the receiving geometry (surface, edge, etc.).

For example, you have an irregular bolt pattern on a plate. Right now, you would need to place 20 bolts on your assembly, and then applying constraint to each one of them by selecting both edges (the bolt and the hole) of an insert constraint. Instead, you could place and constraint one bolt, then you "copy with constraint" that part. You will be prompt to select an edge for the insert constraint (the hole). Upon selection, it would place a new bolt with the insert constraint tied to that selected hole. You can then repeat the process until you "cancel" the feature.

Unless there is a feature that already exist to do such a thing that I am unaware off, I think this function could be useful in many cases.

Thanks,

mcgyvr
Consultant

Have you tried this?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015...

Also.. This is an EXCELLENT tool that I wish would be incorporated into Inventor..

Its well worth the cost if you do this often..

http://www.kwikmcad.com/icode/kwiksert_64/kwiksert_64.html

There is a similar ideastation post like yours too.. Can't find it now.. 

dom.castonguay
Advocate

bolt connection is not really able to do what I needed. The tool you linked seems truly great. Shouldn't be too hard to include to Inventor it seems, but having that sort of function apply to all sort of constraint could be useful too.

ASchlaack
Collaborator

If I'm understanding you...

Let's say I have a plate with many holes cut using a pattern. If I place a bolt into one hole, you then want to be able to select the holes pattern from the plate and apply it to the bolts so they follow the holes pattern. Correct?

If so then this is actually an added feature on 2017.

jvizanko
Explorer

I am newer to Inventor, but one feature that is PAINFUL to not have is a feature similar to Copy with Mates from SolidWorks.  The feature allows you to copy a component or group of components mated together, and create new instances of that component or group around an assembly by only clicking on new mate references from other assembly locations.

For instance, right now, if I want to copy a component (or group of componets) to 40 different locations that cannot be patterned, I have to drag a new copy of the component or do a copy paste of a component or group, and then Constrain them all manually be slecting component and location references.  With Copy with Mates, all I would do is pick the component or group of components, click Copy with Mates, and then as I click on the new location references it both automatically inserts the new components, but also automatically knows the same component references are being replicated.

Without this feature it takes MUCH MUCH longer to copy a lot of components than it would in SolidWorks.  I have search forums etc and there is no good solution to this problem, although it has been brought up before.  Until there is a solution, I'll just have to waste a ton of time in many of my assemblies when getting all of the components in place.

MattH_Work
Collaborator

Inventor has had 'Copy with constraints' since 2014

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-49430B00-233E-4BCA-895C-54C0785996A3

Regards

MattH

jvizanko
Explorer

So unless I am missing something, Copy with constraints will copy a group of components and maintain their constraints to each other.  It will not make it easy to mate that single or group of components to a new location in the assembly though.

Here's a video of Copy with Mates in SolidWorks to see what I am talking about if you are not familiar with this feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiXLdm7ncs

The video only shows one piece of hardware that is copied to new locations.  But you can even select an entire stack of components and create copies mated to new locations by only clicking the few external mates.

PaulMunford
Autodesk
Have you tried Joints?
jvizanko
Explorer

Bump!  I just wasted 2 hours because I didn't have this feature...  Hopefully I have SolidWorks at my next job?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report