Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Plane around axis, through point

Work Plane around axis, through point

I would like to be able to create a plane around an axis and through a point.  Using the dropdown list to select the feature would be necessary, but saves the time of creating a sketch with points connected to the axis and then creating a 3-point plane.

Untitled-1.png

26 Comments
esmith53
Advocate

I would like to be able to create a work plane by selecting a linear edge or axis and an additional point.  Right now the only option is an angle to another existing plane around an edge or using three points.  Currently I have to make an arbitrary plane though an axis, draw a new sketch on it, project the axis, attach two points to the axis, exit sketch mode, and then create a plane using my two sketch points and one additional point.  This takes extra time than is necessary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the command shown below achieve what you're after?

Untitled.png

esmith53
Advocate

This feature is to create a plane normal to the axis.  I need to make a plane that runs through the axis (and one more additional point)

Imagine a line in 3D space.  The line has two endpoints.  If you wanted to create a plane that went through that line and an additional point, you could just select the lines two end points and the third point you want the plane to run through.  This is not possible with an axis because it is infinitly long and has no end points.  I think it could be a simple and very useful feature (at least in the work I do) to add to Inventor.  See below for comparison of features - the one on the right is what is being requested.

work planes..png

rob_cadmag
Contributor

i agree that such a workplane construction method would come in handy every once in while. But as long as it isn't there, I think the workaround sdhould be creating two workpoints where the workaxix intersects planes/faces of the part and then create a 3-point workplane, rather than creating an addtional sketch

DRoam
Mentor

In the meantime, you could also perform these two steps to get your plane:

1) Axis > Parallel to line through point. Pick the axis shown and then the point.

2) Plane > Two Coplanar Edges. Pick your original axis and the newly created one.

But I definitely agree than the "Around Axis and Through Point" method should be added. It's a perfectly valid way to define a plane.

Anonymous
Not applicable

At this time, without pre-selecting a construction method, if you select an axis and a point you get a workplane perpendicular to the axis through the point.

To me, from the mathematical perspective, when you have a line and a point you uniquely identified a plane.

So please approve this request and make it the default behavior for creating a workplane through a line segment and a point.

Thank you.

brownst
Autodesk

This is a great suggestion, think of it as a plane by (3) points where two of the points are defined by a single selction of an axis.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

esmith53
Advocate

This is a perfectly valid plane type.  Why is it so hard just to implement the idea?

mkozij
Contributor

Please Implement this idea. Very useful for rolled sheet metal designs in addition to illustrated design by @Anonymous above.

sbean
Enthusiast

I was using another CAD software and found a bunch of "wishlist" items to submit here in the ideas section, but the simplest and most useful is, place plane trough axis at point.  This is not a new idea, but is a very useful and time saving.

Rkov
Participant

@Anonymous, this is not just "...a valid plane type....", this is the very first and basic derived plane type, right after the basic coordinate planes. I have been searching for this plane type from the very first day I started using Inventor, but I was never able to formulate this case as elegantly as you do here.
Did you make a suggestion in idea station? Let me know so I can vote for this.

My local guru told me to make an axis through that single point, parallel to your first axis, then make a plane through ("two coplanar edges") the mentioned axis, and the new axis you just made.
Incidentally, this plane type (through two axes), is actually mathematically overconstrained. 
Now that I think of it, I think I will go with the way you illustrate your problem; I will make a "useless" short piece of line (now obviously with 2 endpoints) clinging to the center axis, and make a plane through 3 points.

esmith53
Advocate

@Rkov , my original post was in the idea station in 2014, but was moved into an archived folder, basically ignored by @inv.ideareview .

Not sure how archived items work or if they can still be voted for?

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

This is a valid idea.

It can be achieved using plane through 3 points - the difficulty lies in creating the 3 points though, when they are implicitly already there on the axis. The need to create the additional 2 reference points is redundant.

esmith53
Advocate

@inv.ideareview , I think we all agree with you in that this is a valid idea and that it should be implemented as a new plane type since the need to create redundant points wastes time (hence the idea post in the first place over five years ago).

Is there any way to push this idea back to the front of the list so people see it when they go into the idea station?  How do we work on gathering more support for this idea so we can get it implemented?

Cheers

filippo.toniello
Enthusiast

One of the first implementatio to do for a very basic construction option...

jason29
Enthusiast

This seems like a pretty fundamental way to create a plane that is missing from inventor. I know it can be done with a line and a point (3 point plane) but obviously an axis has no end points to select. I do a ton of tube and pipe work from 3D scans and there have been so many times where this would have saved me from having to create sketches just to extract points to create a plane. I’ve looked at other cad software and it’s doable in those, but I’m not sure why it hasn’t been implemented in inventor after all of these years. 

jtylerbc
Mentor

"Normal to Axis through Point" already exists as an option.  It isn't clear (at least to me) what you are asking for that this option wouldn't do. 

Is it a problem with what is allowed to be selected for the point in this method?

jason29
Enthusiast

Normal to axis through point is not what I am asking for.  That creates a plan that is perpendicular to an axis.  I'm looking for a plane where it is rotated around the axis and defined by a point anywhere in space.  It can be done with a line and another point using a 3 point plane, but an axis has no end points, therefore those can't be selected to use a 3 point plane option, and then of course there is no option to use that axis and another point to define the plane. I've searched back and this has actually been asked for a few times, and always just seems to get archived.  Maybe these other threads explain it better:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/work-plane-around-axis-through-point/idi-p/5094584 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/plane-on-axis-through-point-not-normal-to-axis/idi-p/8... 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/work-plane-around-axis-through-point/idi-p/5717699 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report