Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window selection for Extrusion profiles

Window selection for Extrusion profiles

If you have a sketch with plenty of closed profiles. You want to extrude many of them but not all.

Ability to select the profiles with a window would be great.

11 Comments
mike2411
Contributor

Right now you have to pick the profiles you want to extrude after sketching. Well, most of the time I want to extrude the profile or ALL of teh profiles I just sketched. Make it so when you activate the "Extrude" function it DEFAULTS to automatically choosing ALL closed profiles and give US, the user, the opportunity to go and choos the profiles we DON'T want to use. That would be easier and more productive IMHO.

dvsmiller9
Advocate

How about a toggle in the extrude dialog to choose the default behavior instead of changing it for the entire user base?

niksasa
Collaborator

Same thing for the team cut

jletcher
Advisor

It works just fine the way it is..

If you have that many you are doing something wrong...

Your way is not easier or more productive...

mike2411
Contributor
Why? Why do you feel like you have to come in and bash? "My way is not
easier or more productive"? According to who...you? And you are?
jletcher
Advisor

Not bashing...

Just not a good idea. So instead of picking the ones I want now I will have to spend time deselecting..

Seems to be the same just reversed because it makes it easy for you but now harder for everyone else?

How many profiles do you have in one sketch? If you have more then 3 you are doing something wrong.

Sounds like you are using Inventor like you did Autocad. Forget Autocad and learn the right way to use Inventor..

No your way is not easier or more productive ....

Who am I? I am me...

dmytty
Enthusiast

Amen to that...

FYI I had talked to support about this.  Their follow up is as follows:

Hi Doug,

Thank you for contacting Autodesk support. I wanted to follow up with yesterday's phone call to verify my findings. Veteran QA staff has confirmed our findings, the limitation in Inventor to Extrude multiple, non-contiguous sketch figures with one feature. It was confirmed that this would qualify as a feature enhancement request.

I was able to locate the two following Ideas in the IdeaStation:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Window-selection-for-Extrusion-profiles/idi-p/431...

and

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Select-Multiple-Non-Contiguous-Sketch-Profiles-fo...

Please add Kudos to these enhancements to increase the visibility to the Product Management team.

Another way to reach the Product Management team is to direct your feedback through the below portal. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

kevinb
Advocate

I agree with others, this would not make things easier.  When I use multiple profiles on a single drawing, it's because I want to share the drawing and extrude the components at different levels off of a single drawing. 

If I need to draw multiple closed shapes to make a profile I use the "construction line" command to turn the separating lines into a single profile.   A construction line is one that the extrude and revolution commands ignore, but the sketch still references.  If you use a centerpoint rectangle in the drawing command, you'll see an example of these.

I've actually had the experience that deselecting profiles is a much bigger pain in the butt when I go back in and add a separating profile to a previously extruded drawing.  If deselection was improved significantly to be more intuitive that it wasn't a pain to use, I wouldn't mind having this option.

I have nothing against toggles that I won't use being added in.

"According to who...you?" 4 commenters so far.

DRoam
Mentor

FYI, here's a similar request but for the Emboss tool: Window Select For Embossing

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017.  Additionally in Autodesk Inventor 2017.3 you are able to select multiple closed profiles with a window/cross selection while creating a revolve, sweep or coil command.  Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. The product team continually reviews this forum aiming to
deliver in the most impactful way we can based on voting. We also regularly examine the
list to make sure it reflects the most current Ideas. As part of this process we archive
old Ideas that haven’t received broad support. This ensures there is room for new Ideas
to be reviewed by the community and for the most relevant and meaningful ones to gain
votes.

This Idea is archived because it's been on the board for over a year and hasn't received
many votes. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support across the
community, you're welcome to do so. Leveraging images, animated gifs or sample mock-ups
can help convey concepts and generate more votes from other users. If you have questions
or see a connection between this Idea and others that should be accounted for, please
let us know.

- INV.IdeaReview

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report