Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Inventor Drawing Text Editor

Update Inventor Drawing Text Editor

The text editor of the Inventor drawing enviornment could use some updating.

I would like to see similar functionality as the AutoCAD editor.

• in-place editing (no dialog box)
  • contextual ribbon (but realize you still want to support those that use the previous toolbar interface)
  • numbered/bulleted lists
  • columns

An integrated spell checker would be useful was well. This would avoid having to install from the SDK.

Regards,

Jerry 

42 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

Leave autocad out of inventor.

JBerns
Advisor

I don't understand your comment. I am not asking to put AutoCAD in Inventor, just some of its text-editor functionality.

After twelve years of almost no improvement to the text editor I was suggesting an update.

I was just expressing an opinion I thought may be shared by others. I respect your feedback though.

Kind regards,

Jerry

DVDM
Advocate

Agreed, text editing in Inventor needs to be lifted to the same capability as available in AutoCAD.

In particular I'm after bulleted lists.

Engineers checking our drawings, as well as some users new to Inventor, are regularly baffled by what Inventor can't do in this regard.

People like jletcher clearly never need to make drawings, or are a one man drawing office where they create, check and approve everything they make themselves.

jletcher
Advisor

DVDM,

I have done a lot of drawing and yes I had to check my own  more than you more than likely. But what does that have to do with putting acad text in Inventor?

I hated autocad text. Still do..

I think you just need to figure out how to use Inventor or go back to Autocad.  Leave Autocad crap out of Inventor don't you think you have enough bugs in Inventor now you want to add Autocad bugs to it.

What you are asking for to me should be a symbol create one time done...

People like DVDM need to learn how to use Inventor rather than changing it into Autocad... Or just go back maybe Inventor is over your head.

I have been using Inventor from day one, taught it, went and set up 30 companies over 360 engineers and not one said anything about the text in Inventor.

Just learn the software if you need help I still teach.... email me..

MDS-MQ
Advocate

Letcher... You are usually right on the money with your comments but if you cannot see the issues with Inventors text editing capabilities then you need to loose the blinders.

I have been on Inventor since R4 and anyone that I have worked with over the last 10 years or so have had nothing good to say about the text editor.

It is getting worse as we speak... The new Spell Check add on that came with 2013 only recognizes spelling mistakes if the word is in lower case letters. What drawing office uses lower case letters on there drawings? I realize that in the computer generated age of engineering drawings this is really not required but how many offices have made the change to lower case letters.

It is not AutoDesk's place to drive change in the creation of drawings. It should be up to them to supply there customers with the best dam Modeling and drawing software they can coble together.

jletcher
Advisor

MDS,

1st thank you...

And if you are just talking spell checker I agree with that but spell check and editor are two things.

And this is asking for the text editor to be like autocad's.

What I don't understand is everyone knows engineers can't spell so why would you come out without one?

But I still don't think that autocad editor should be in Inventor to me and many I know hate it.

Now does it need more options in Inventors yes but please not autocad's.

dvsmiller9
Advocate

Columns and numbered lists would really be useful for our drawing notes.  We have to put in tabs and spaces constantly to create an orderly list that doesn't look like it was just thrown on.

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US14238] is under review by the development team.
ic198
Advocate

It would be very useful if there was a way to add an automatic border or outline to a text box.

It would also be very useful if there was some way to set the width of Leader Text and have the text automatically wrap to the next line (like you can with normal Text)

I agree with the dmiller's post about columns and numbered lists

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US14238 & US5186].  Thanks!

enigma
Contributor

I agree with the the OP, It's time Inventor stepped into the 21st century and implented a proper text editor.

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i would like the review of getting a good internal & fully functional spell checker one of these days for inventor (ie one that is not looking for microsoft office programs to check for spelling).

with the functionality available to developers these days i would be surprised if it was impossible to achieve?

Tags (1)
mrattray
Advisor

Add that it should know engineering jargon and common abbreviations.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support
Hello - the idea for a spell checker has already been logged. Please be sure to visit this idea and cast your kudo there as well. Thanks! http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Update-Inventor-Drawing-Text-Editor/idc-p/3803086...
Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

thanks & sorry for the duplicate.

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

msklein
Collaborator

I started on version 3 and have continuously bitched about the lack of a spell checker since then, many times on this forum. As I have stated in the past the spell checker and to some extent the text editor should have been the first modgule in the program and or any new CAD program. This includes a engineering library as well as a custom library . There was a great add-on for autoCad back in the Dos day's that made the acad text editor look pathetic, I think "Cadedit" is still a far better text editor/ spell checker that anything autodesk has come up with for acad and it was only $10 per station back then.

msk

msklein
Collaborator

I started on version 3 and have continuously bitched about the lack of a spell checker since then, many times on this forum. As I have stated in the past the spell checker and to some extent the text editor should have been the first modgule in the program and or any new CAD program. This includes a engineering library as well as a custom library . There was a great add-on for autoCad back in the Dos day's that made the acad text editor look pathetic, I think "Cadedit" is still a far better text editor/ spell checker that anything autodesk has come up with for acad and it was only $10 per station back then. Check it out and use it as a templete for IV201? soon!

msk

scottmoyse
Mentor

The SDK spell checker doesn't permeate through all objects in the Inventor drawings environment. It just needs to be built into the text editor & also allow for recursive spell checking within the active document. It also needs to support adding company Acronyms & terminology to the dictionary. Which will go no end towards helping to further standardise drawings across staff & departments.

gary.belisle
Advocate

Another function that is missing from the text editor is the ability to force text to uppercase or lowercase. Often I have wanted to add Material to the notes driven by the model property but the material name is lowercase and I want it to be uppercase in the notes. OR have an option in the text styles to force all uppercase.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report