Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
5 Kudos
JamieVJohnson2

Too Many default folder paths

by Mentor on ‎03-06-2013 04:59 PM

When working with Inventor, I find myself browsing the the project folder for almost every command, Place Part, Save, Open, Export, Create New Part, Add Assembly.  These commands only need 1 previous folder setting. 

What the real complaint here is, we work in a 'single project' vault environment.  Our real project folders are all organized under a single inventor project (otherwise I'd have some 300 inventor projects at any given time).  In this mode, we are jumping between projects a few times each day, and if we are not VERY careful, Inventor will let us place our new file in the other project folder (the wrong folder).  Many files get check into vault that way, and if it were not for Vault's very nice search engine, these files would get lost.

So now for each command I have to check the folder I'm in, and browse to the folder I want to be in, because it has MANY previous folder settings (one for each unique file browsing capable command) instead of 1, the last folder I was in.

Please make all folder/file search commands reference 1 common previous folder value (especially in the workspace locations).

jvj

Comments
by Contributor andrew_buc on ‎03-12-2013 11:25 AM

I have a possible workaround for you. There are a number of freeware or shareware utilities that let you RMB on a given file and then copy its path to the clipboard. Most of them will let you copy the full path of the file, the full path of the file's parent folder, or just the name of the file.

There are also clipboard enhancers (I use ClipMate)  that let you store the contents of the clipboard for future use. The combination of ClipMate and a path copy utility has served me well for years.

by Active Contributor ic198 on ‎03-12-2013 03:01 PM

Good idea. It is particularly frustrating that the 'Place at Component Origin' command in the assembly environment always opens up in the project root directory, even if you've just used the command. Makes it very tedious if you're trying to add multiple parts to an assembly.

by Active Contributor ic198 on ‎03-12-2013 03:14 PM

andrew_buc- if you're running windows 7 path copy is built in; hold down the SHIFT key while RMB on a file and an expanded menu will appear, with Copy as Path being one of the options. But how do you paste this path into the address bar of Inventor's Open windows? Unlike windows 7 explorer the address bar doesn't seem to be editable.

by Contributor andrew_buc on ‎03-13-2013 07:46 AM

@ic198: Are we on the same page? I just created a dummy .iam in Inventor. I then clicked on Save As and was able to paste a path (from my Clipmate database of previously used paths) into the appropriate field in the Save As dialog with no problem, same as I'd be able to in Word, Excel, you name it.

by Active Contributor ic198 on ‎03-13-2013 06:52 PM

andrew_buc: Got it! I was trying to edit the address bar at the top of the dialog box (like you can in Word etc.) but you meant to paste it into the Save As form at the bottom. That's going to be very useful, thanks again!

by Employee on ‎03-25-2013 12:07 PM
Status changed to: Future Consideration

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube