Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many default folder paths

Too Many default folder paths

When working with Inventor, I find myself browsing the the project folder for almost every command, Place Part, Save, Open, Export, Create New Part, Add Assembly.  These commands only need 1 previous folder setting. 

What the real complaint here is, we work in a 'single project' vault environment.  Our real project folders are all organized under a single inventor project (otherwise I'd have some 300 inventor projects at any given time).  In this mode, we are jumping between projects a few times each day, and if we are not VERY careful, Inventor will let us place our new file in the other project folder (the wrong folder).  Many files get check into vault that way, and if it were not for Vault's very nice search engine, these files would get lost.

So now for each command I have to check the folder I'm in, and browse to the folder I want to be in, because it has MANY previous folder settings (one for each unique file browsing capable command) instead of 1, the last folder I was in.

Please make all folder/file search commands reference 1 common previous folder value (especially in the workspace locations).

jvj

25 Comments
andrew_buc
Contributor

I have a possible workaround for you. There are a number of freeware or shareware utilities that let you RMB on a given file and then copy its path to the clipboard. Most of them will let you copy the full path of the file, the full path of the file's parent folder, or just the name of the file.

There are also clipboard enhancers (I use ClipMate)  that let you store the contents of the clipboard for future use. The combination of ClipMate and a path copy utility has served me well for years.

ic198
Advocate

Good idea. It is particularly frustrating that the 'Place at Component Origin' command in the assembly environment always opens up in the project root directory, even if you've just used the command. Makes it very tedious if you're trying to add multiple parts to an assembly.

ic198
Advocate

andrew_buc- if you're running windows 7 path copy is built in; hold down the SHIFT key while RMB on a file and an expanded menu will appear, with Copy as Path being one of the options. But how do you paste this path into the address bar of Inventor's Open windows? Unlike windows 7 explorer the address bar doesn't seem to be editable.

andrew_buc
Contributor

@ic198: Are we on the same page? I just created a dummy .iam in Inventor. I then clicked on Save As and was able to paste a path (from my Clipmate database of previously used paths) into the appropriate field in the Save As dialog with no problem, same as I'd be able to in Word, Excel, you name it.

ic198
Advocate

andrew_buc: Got it! I was trying to edit the address bar at the top of the dialog box (like you can in Word etc.) but you meant to paste it into the Save As form at the bottom. That's going to be very useful, thanks again!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Burnettski
Observer

It would be nice to have a option to make the location of the last file saved come up when you do a save or export on a file.  In example:  If you ave a file that you want to export a file for the burn table that is not in the current workspace such as a network folder so that the burn operator can get the file.  Currently if you do an export it will show the folder in you workspace and not where the last file was exported to.

Tags (1)
exSWX
Advocate

I'd like the File Save/Open dialog box to remain modal, that is, if I Save or Open a file from location 'A', when I come to Open/Save again, I'd like the dialog box to still be looking  at location 'A'

Countless times we have saved in an incorrect location, or had to navigate to a location where we recently were at. It's time consuming and very frustrating.

Tags (2)
drawings
Advocate

Having a few choice buttons would be helpful: ie. last folder, user marked folder/s, parameter/name prefix designated sorting. We send plates (PL____) one place and beams (WF____) another and assembies to the current project folder.

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

so when using an operation such as save then going to open or place for example the folder location is of the last file opened or placed. I want it to go where i saved the file. So i want the option to synchronize all folder locations of all functions that access folders. I think the current work flow is very dangerous especially with vault as this does not work in projects which i think it should so i am working one project then you could easily save a file in the wrong place especially as numbers can be very similar.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

beinte.wanders
Participant

I get tired of browsing ands scrolling and searching and browsing and scrolling and searching and browsing time and again, 10% of my work time is wasted like this

there should be an option that the open file dialog just shows the last opened directory, where the last .iam or .ipt or... has been opened

DRoam
Mentor

Actually, this is the current behavior. However, there are a few quirks:

• The locations are not shared between the "Open" command and the "Place" command. "Open" will always take you to the last folder you were at with the "Open" dialog box, and "Place" will always take you to the last folder you were at with the "Place Component" dialog box.
  • With the "Open" dialog box, it will return to your last location EVEN if it OUTSIDE the current workspace. However, with the "Place" dialog, if you navigate to somewhere outside the current workspace and then close or place a component, then the next time you use Place it will send you back to somewhere in the current workspace.

So basically, the latest location is not shared between the "Open" and "Place" dialog boxes, and the "Place" dialog box will forget your place if it was outside the current workspace.

I agree it would be nice if the locations were shared between the two commands, and if "Place" would remember where you were even if it was outside the workspace.

Also, a "Recent locations" list would be very handy as well.

beinte.wanders
Participant

Thanks, great comment 🙂

ic198
Advocate

It would be great if Export (PDFs) and Save As would remember your last location as well (even if outside current Workspace), though these shouldn't sync with Open or Place

DRoam
Mentor

Good point, @ic198, I agree.

DRoam
Mentor

FYI, several duplicates of this suggestion have been made since this was created:

Also, here are some related suggestions for quick-links to recent folders and the location of currently-open documents:

Implementing the synchronized previous location per this Idea, and the quick-links per the other Ideas, would enable much more streamlined navigation.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @Burnettski. The same thing has actually been requested before and is currently "Under Review" by Autodesk. Please consider casting a vote and maybe commenting on the original to help get this suggestion implemented. You can find it here: Too Many default folder paths (currently 13 votes). Thanks!

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @exSWX. The same thing has actually been requested before and is currently "Under Review" by Autodesk. Please consider casting a vote and maybe commenting on the original to help get this suggestion implemented. You can find it here: Too Many default folder paths (currently 13 votes). Thanks!

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @Ben-Cornelius, the same thing has actually been requested before and is currently "Under Review" by Autodesk. Please consider casting a vote and maybe commenting on the original to help get this suggestion implemented Smiley Happy You can find it here: Too Many default folder paths (currently 13 votes).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report