Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Solid Bodies

Separate Solid Bodies

Just like the command in Autocad that separates a single body into multiple bodies when they are not touchingseparate2.jpg 

separate.jpg

25 Comments
ajl
Observer
Observer

I model rotationally moulded plastic parts from which a single moulding can give rise to many subcomponents. To create these subcomponents I can specify splitting tools that create solid bodies: but only on relatively simple models.

When splitting tools become more complex, trying to modify the model during the development process can lead to lengthy repair time on those tools. I thus find it more robust to remove many small lumps from the moulded part until there are many resultant subcomponents 'floating in space'. At this point I would like to be able promote these unattached 'Lumps' into 'Solid Bodies' which I can then easily spit out into an assembly.

Tags (4)
Steven_Vanhalst
Participant

there is an option 'create new bodies' in the pattern feature.

no need to split or seperate it afterwards.

rect_pattern.jpg

eucci
Advocate

Steven,

Yes, this is true. However, there are dozens of ways that solid bodies can end of having separate "nodes" that are not the result of using the "pattern" command. In fact, these types of solids are problematic in many ways. Including the fact that they will error if you attempt to use the "combine" command on them. 

eucci
Advocate

Steven,

Also, when patterning a body along an irregular path you must pattern the "feature". You are not able to pattern a "solid" along an irregular path. So, when patterning this way, you always end up with solids that are joined together. In fact, I think I'll post this as another subject in ideastation. The ability to pattern along a path using the create new bodies feature.

DRoam
Mentor

Yes, I encounter this all the time in multibody modeling. There are many ways to end up with two "lumps" of solid which are separate from each other but are part of the same solid, and there is usually no good way to separate them.

mark.owbridge
Enthusiast

I believe approx 6 years ago when I was using Solidworks it had the ability to recognise if you had cut a part into two separate bodies and it would ask you to select which solids to keep (sometimes you dont want the other separated pieces) and whether you wanted them kept as a single solid or multiple solids. This feature would be useful.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello, I am guessing you may be aware, this can be accomplished today with the split command via the "split solid" option.  Yes it does require a work plane to select as a "split tool" which gives your idea merit, however I simply wanted to mention the workaround.  Thanks -Dan

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @dan_szymanski. The picture used in this Idea is an extremely rudimentary example and doesn't portray the type of situation where this functionality is critically needed. Please watch the following Screencast from this Idea by @Aadithya01Request for multi body concept in Boolean in Inventor comparing with Fusion 360.

Please tell me how you would use the Split command to separate those two lumps.... Smiley Wink

Inventor needs better tools for working with lumps and solid bodies, including a Separate command as requested here, and a few other critical tools I mentioned in this idea: Better multibody and "lump" tools. In my idea, I called the functionality requested in this Idea "Isolate/Transfer Lump" rather than "Separate", but they're asking for the same thing.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

@DRoam, touché.  Smiley Surprised  Thanks.  -Dan

eucci
Advocate

Dan,

In reply to your earlier comment.

Attempting a split between two bodies that are separated but still considered a single body will only result in an an error.

Unfortunately, this is not a workaround.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @eucci,

Upon reviewing @DRoam's latest comment, I noticed the sample image included a patterned solid (something I originally missed).  My "workaround" was a multi-lump solid generated via the extrude command (two closed, rectangular extrusions separated with a gap).  Sorry for the potential confusion.  -Dan

DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanski, no problem, thanks for taking the time to watch the Screencast. It's not an obvious/traditional need but I think it's a fairly common one.

I've even had the need to do this in Sheet Metal, where I had two fairly complex sections that I eventually decided I wanted to be separate pieces, and I could do a "rip" operation to get the sections separate but didn't have an effective way to separate the bodies since there wasn't a good place to do a regular Split. A simple "Separate lump" or "Isolate lump" command would have been perfect.

John_Caulk
Explorer

When you split a part it, creates another body, however, if spit/trim a body and the end result has multiple solids that no longer touch each other, those solids should be considered solid bodies on their own . This would give more freedom to move sections of a spit.   Solidworks has this option.

alexmende
Collaborator
philip.G
Enthusiast

If you Import a 3d-file it sometimes can happen that you don't have the option to import the file with many solids instead of one. 

A smart-split (or similar) that splits separate volumes into separate solids would be very useful. 

image (1).pngimage.png

DRoam
Mentor

Here is an idea you can vote for which requests something similar: Better multibody and "lump" tools.

philip.G
Enthusiast

It's similar, and goes in even more depth. I upvoted and hope for a soon improvement in Inventor. 

Thanks for telling me! Smiley Wink

eucci
Advocate

Hey Folks,

Please vote for this. 

I really need it 🙂

collin.arkin
Explorer

And don't forget to include it in sheet metal!

eucci
Advocate

Is there a way for me to edit the image shown in the original post? I realized after doing it that the example wasn't such a great choice. I'd like to replace the image with a more appropriate one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report