Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tail Dimension

Tail Dimension

I am trying to create a Tail Dimension in Inventor. I've been working on this and it is fairly simple to hide the extension line and arrow for the designated side of the dimension that you want to hide. However, I also want to justify the text to the side that is left and have the other extension line available to attach a callout (sketch symbol). See examples... One example shows what I am trying to achieve and the other is showing where I'm at... I know how to do this in AutoCAD or SolidWorks but I am at a loss in Inventor so far.

I have posted this in the discussion area so if it turns out that someone can straighten me out I can remove this from the ideas area. Otherwise I would like to see this as an option. The ordinate system will come close but I can't quite get it the way I would like.

4 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

This can be done also already.

tail.JPG

What you do is start the dimension and before placing it right click change it to Linear symmetric then place the dimension, Then change the double arrow to none. And there you go.

Hope this helps....

dexterdweller
Enthusiast

That does the trick! Can you eliminate the line left from the arrow you suppress? Can you set the text on a dimension to automatically justify to a specific side of the dimension line?

Thanks!

dimension testing.JPG

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Solution Provided

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented
I have modified this Idea from "Solution Provided" to "Implemented". An alternate method regarding this idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Enhancements have been made within the Drawing Manager environment to provide three new types of Foreshortened Dimension annotations. Linear Foreshortened, Angular Foreshortened and Arc Length Foreshortened dimensions can now be created within drawings. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report