Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subassembly reference in Drawing Files

Subassembly reference in Drawing Files

Most of the time when I'm doing larger machines, I do a number of sub assemblies (sometimes, 5-6 assemblies deep) so that I can mess with individual parts without having to open the entire large assembly.  In addition, it makes it easier to place multiple assemblies.  I also tend to make rigid assemblies with ipn explosions and what not.

The way Inventor references sub assemblies in drawings could be drastically improved by allowing the drawing to track the sub assemblies within a drawing.  Here's how I typically do a multi component feature when I'm making up the drawing.  The first sheet is an isometric with labels to the individual sub assemblies.  There's occasionally a Parts List/Table that lists total material required if it's just a big clump of structural material.  Then, I start doing sheets for the sub components.  If there's a special hook up with hydraulic hoses or some thing, that goes next.  If there's a lot of plate or other structural material with weird shapes in it, the dimensions and shapes will go next, profiled and grouped by thickness.  Last would be a shot of the component inserted into the area it's going to be used (if available).

Here's a recent example: (Larger image attached) (I'm not sure why I can't attach the image)

What I think should happen is that I should be able to tag sheets to reference sub assemblies within the upper level by specific sub assembly number like a part number so that I can make a little table that says "Custom Cylinder: See Sheet X" and just attach the sheet to a sub assembly so that the sheet keeps track of where it's being referenced so that I don't have to go back and redo all of my reference notes if I decide to add another subassembly later.  It might be possible to have the name of the sheet be a property that I can reference in the properties list ie: <Sheet Number of Sheet "Cylinder"> where "Cylinder" is an insertable sheet name.

In addition, I'd like to have the Parts List only have that one BOM referenced.  For instance, "Spacer Block" is constructed out of tube, angle, plate and some bolts.  I don't need a full 30 component parts list and flagging all of the parts the same number is a waste of time.  So, I essentially want a "sub assembly parts list" feature that will retain the BOM structured number (ie: Spacer Block components would be 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 etc) and I could check box to only have things that start with 3 in there.  Intigrating this feature would be a good midstep, since you could then have it propagate downward so that the assembly keeps track of sub part numbers.

Also, I'd like to be able to have the Balloon/Label be able to reference part numbers of higher level assemblies.  I mentioned that I do plate layout sheets where I have all of the gussets and bolt flanges and what not detailed out on the last sheet (I've attached a PDF of this type of sheet, but with tubing).  Because of the way I've got these mitered, it was easier on fabricators to know how I wanted the ends modified before they started trying to slip it into place, but I had to go back in and put in the name of the part for each view.  It would be better if I could have Inventor track the part number and just list that as the view name.  Possibly so that it could Balloon to the parts without requiring an override as well.

A way to integrate the above without having to dig through my file folders looking for bottom level components, or having to create brand new representations/ipn files who's only function is to turn off every other part without messing with the part numbers would also speed my ability to do layouts.  So, if I built a mass of plating arranged in a box of some kind, I could just reference all of the part files without having to go dig around in the explorer window.  The assembly already knows where all the parts are after all.

3 Comments
kevinb
Advocate

I tried to attach the image, scaled down (which didn't work, file size limit), tried to hotlink a manually created preview image (didn't work, same error), and then gave up after Idea Station ate my post.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report