Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Implementing Half Baked Features

Stop Implementing Half Baked Features

Dear devs,

Do you take half a shower? Do you take out half the garbage?

When you go to a restaurant, do you expect your meal to be half cooked?

If the answers to the above questions are no, then why do you implement half working features?

8 Comments
cbenner
Mentor

It might be helpful to list some specific "half baked" features you are having issues with.  This sounds less like a suggestion and more like a rant without more specific information.

karthur1
Mentor

I'll give one:  A couple releases ago they added the ability to include the leading zero to the architectural units, i.e. 1'-1/2" can be displayed as 1'-0 1/2".

The parts lists formatting (Format Column) does not have the ability to include this leading zero.... Why not?

2012-12-18_1021.png

karthur1
Mentor

I'll give another one that grips me...  A few releases back they introduced the ability to pattern features (in a ipt) in both directions about a midplane.  It only works in ipts. We still can't do that with assembly features,  assembled components or machined features in a weldment..... Very annoying to not have the consistency.

Vlad.Makarov
Advocate

Inventor 2012 they added part representations. Except when attempting to use them one would quickly discover they weren't working. Why? According to an Autodesk dev: "yeah it isn't fully hooked up".

Content center for years has had parts with oddball values.

The O-Ring design accelerator suffers from wacky values.

Autodesk job processor performance is abysmal.

The IPN environment was abandoned years ago regarding any sort of improvements.

Vault Pro 2012 does not send out emails when a comment is added to a change order.

Important functionality that exists & yet is not working.

karthur1
Mentor

IAM... Browser Sort Tool.  Sometimes it sorts... sometimes if fails.  Reason being either invalid characters in the tree names or component patterns.  1. It should sort any name that is allowed in the tree. 2. Component patterns have been around for quite a while, you would think that it could handle those.

timdown73
Collaborator

Click the link below to see a perfect example of half baked!

I'm no Inventor hater but the selection tool is a mess as is.  The old left right arrows worked fine.  In fact the new drop down isn't a bad idea it just doen't work right but got put into a realeased version of Inventor!  No one tested this endless loop of clicking to get the dropdown out of the way?  And God forbid you drag wrong because then it will disappear and you'll have to reselect!  

Sorry had to vent a  bit!  At least it seems Adesk is goint ot fix it (I hope).

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Select-Other-drop-down-needs-moving-out-of-the-wa...

selection overlap.jpg

_DanSolo_
Advocate

Unfortunatly all CAD software companies seem to do this.

Release software.

Then having paying customers debug it.

Frusterating as it is, by the time the last service pack is out. The software is usualy funcitonal...for the most part.

bofeldtj
Contributor

There is solution to this problem and that is to create a TICK/TOCK style of updating the software similar to INTEL.  You create a major revision to the software one year and a minor the following year.  The major implements new features while the minor finalises those major features. The major revision has a new file format, the minor doesn't (no new features to change the file format). The major implements user requests that will substantially change things, the minor fixes all those little things we all find annoying.  The minor upgrade does the performance enhancements.

This will give the developers longer time to implement the features as they know there will be no majors features in the TOCK update. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report