Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Solid Multi Select (Split multiple solid bodies)

Split Solid Multi Select (Split multiple solid bodies)

It would be useful if a user could select multiple solid bodies to be split by a single split tool line.

Currently I need to perform the split function once for every solid despite selecting the same split tool sketch line everytime.

Extrusions can select muliple solids to effect, any reason why not splits?

Thanks

GavoGarmo

16 Comments
Knifem4n
Explorer

Partitioning a model is very useful for some application, like for simulations. Often the partitioning is done in the simulation software itself, but being able to import an already partitioned part is much more comfortable. Especially when changes will be made later on, so that the partitioning will not have to be redone in the simulation software after every change. 

Inventor does have a range of different tools for solids. However splitting them into a bigger number is still very troublesome, which is because

1. the split solid tools does only allow a solid to be divided into two new solids

2. splitting a solid into multiple closed regions does still create two, but unconnected solids

The split tool is meant to be used for a single cut line. It can still be used like this:

MultiCut3.jpg

As a result I get two unconnected solids.

MultiCut3.jpg

Dividing them again does not always succeed. In the picture below, the left one will fail and the right one will work.

cutsucceedfail.jpg

Inventor is handling multiple solids well already, but splitting into a larger amount is still not possible with acceptable effort. I wish that more advanved splitting tools will be introduced in the future. Thanks You.

Tags (8)
novly.abdurohman
Advocate

please add multiple select for split tool. its very long time to get multiple bodies, i ussualy uses extrude feature and then use intersect option.

here are example from solidworks

bodies.PNG

Ben-Cornelius
Collaborator

When using the split tools you should be able to spilt mulitple solid bodies

2.JPG

DRoam
Mentor
DRoam
Mentor

Great suggestion. I hope this can be looked at soon.

Here are some related suggestions:

DRoam
Mentor

@Discussion_Admin / @dan_szymanski, this is a duplicate of this idea: Split Solid Multi Select.

However, I think that Ben's title is more clear and helps to distinguish it from this idea: Multi Select to Split Solid, which is requesting the ability to select multiple split TOOLS, as opposed to Ben's and "Split Solid Multi Select" which are requesting the ability to select multiple SOLIDS.

I think it would be more clear to use Ben's title, and maybe also change the title of "Multi Select to Split Solid" to something like "Split Solid: Select multiple cutting tools". That way it would be clear that one is for selecting multiple tools and the other is for selecting multiple solids.

MSD_takaseh
Alumni

Split Solid always makes just 2 bodies even though a tool body is like the video.

My customer would like it to be more 3 bodies like this case. (In video's case, make 5 bodies)

Thanks.

DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanskia some of the ideas that were merged were asking for different things. 

@GavoGarmo and @Ben-Cornelius's ideas were to be able to select multiple solid bodies as participants in the split, and are appropriate to be merged.

But @Knifem4n@novly.abdurohman, and @MSD_takaseh's ideas were to be able to split a single participant into multiple solids (using multiple cut lines), and should have been merged separately.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @DRoam@GavoGarmo@Ben-Cornelius@Knifem4n@novly.abdurohman@MSD_takaseh,

My apologies if I incorrectly merged your idea.  However I still think we are ok.

We are currently monitoring the following ideas for enhancements to the split feature.

If I made an error, please be sure to visit the other idea and cast a vote for it.  I feel these two cover both requests.

Thanks,

Dan

DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanski, that does help that we still have the intent of those ideas preserved in the other one. For clarity, I think it would help a lot of those ideas/comments were moved to the other idea. It's confusing to have them in here since they're asking for something that's very similar but not the same thing. That will only serve to muddy the waters here and confuse people as to what this idea is about, and lead to misguided votes and comments. These two easily confusable ideas need to be clearly differentiated, not muddied even more.

Kent_Keller
Enthusiast

When using the Split tool to split solids, I would really like to select multiple solids to split in one transaction. I don't see why we have to make multiple splits using the same plane .   If I want to split a square shape into 4 triangular shapes I should be able to do it with two splits, not 3.

Tags (2)
DRoam
Mentor

Really hope we can get this one soon. I'm working on a multi-body part and have 6 parts that need to be split (trimmed) by the same plane. It would be really great to do this with a single split feature rather than 6 of them.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [44239]. Thanks!

OK_BOOMER
Participant

Nine years after the community identified and extensively discussed this shortcoming in basic functionality, Split Solid still only works on one solid in the year 2022.

But Autodesk saw fit to add Dark Mode this year, in a unambiguous demonstration of misunderstanding what matters.

After just a year of use I have come across so many limitations like this they fill a 240 page document. Inventor is an embarrassment compared to other CAD software, not suited for real work.

74321Admin
Advocate

September 2023, and it´s still a "Future consideration".

🙄

kadscad
Collaborator

2024 still A lame tool 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report