Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting Model Tree containing folders

Sorting Model Tree containing folders

A nice feature to add would be to be able to sort your model tree alphabetically when your model tree contains folders.

I have tried and always get a failed error message.

alpha-sort-failed.jpg

Just a wish to add to the list.

Regards,

Ivon

5 Comments
karthur1
Mentor

Would be nice if the command also sorted the items INSIDE the folders too.

leblanc2024
Advocate

I agree with you karthur!

Regards,

Ivon

phlyx
Collaborator

This is an old thread but still valid so posting a work around for this.  Alpha sorting only sorts things that are in the root and not in any sub-folders.  Stumbled across this thread when trying to resolve this myself.

SOLUTION:

- Be sure everything in your assembly model tree is in sub-folders.  If things are not going to be in sub-folders in the final version of your assembly, just stick them in to a temporary sub-folder.

- Starting at the top, delete a folder.  This puts everything into the model tree root.

- Do an Alpha Sort and it will sort all those items.

- Select all the items and re-create the original folder.

- Move thru each of the sub-folders doing the same thing

- When you're done you can delete the sub-folder that contains the things you didn't want in sub-folders.

Now you will have all the items in your model tree alpha sorted INCLUDING the ones in the sub-folders.

Tah-dah!  :O)

leblanc2024
Advocate
Hello phlyx, This works but is not very efficient. I'm still hoping that Autodesk will change the sort routine to resolve this issue. Regards, Ivon
phlyx
Collaborator

Agree that there are quite a few things that could be made more efficient but at least having a way to do it helps. Sorted a whole machine assembly in less than 10 minutes so that works for us.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report