Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
70 Kudos
Doug_DuPont

Solid Body Sheet Metal Parts

by Mentor on ‎11-15-2012 05:07 AM

I want to be able to do Solid Bodies in Sheet Metal ipt's.

Accepted idea [US5315]. Thanks!

Comments
by Contributor matthew.w on ‎12-06-2012 07:55 PM

So that you can modela complete sheetmetal part and then break it into bits? Like making a deep box with lid in a single part file, break the lid off, break the sides and base into 3 pieces so you can make it? Would need to be smart enough to fix all the broken edges. I like the sound of this and quite do-able.

by MrJoshuaAU on ‎12-28-2012 06:00 PM
This is a must for me, Inventor is so far behind the competition in this area. I would call it sheet metal multi body. Currently most of the sheet metal parts we make are near impossible to model in inventor accurately and quickly. Being unable to make mitres between 2 separate sheet metal parts is a major pita.
by maartenverbunt on ‎01-04-2013 06:08 AM

I agree, I've seen it work on Solid Works, an Inventor needs to make vast inprovements in their sheet-metal enviorment. Adding multi-body support would be a major leap forwards. Improving mittering corners in sheetmettal is a very close runner up.

by alanrichardson on ‎01-07-2013 12:45 PM

As a user who uses the sheetmetal within inventor more than any other modelling I agree we should be in a position to use multi-body modelling inside of sheet metal.  The sooner the better!

by Active Contributor CadlineSupport on ‎01-25-2013 04:00 AM

This is very important and we have dozens of customers who would benefit from the ability to design sheet metal assemblies in a part context before using 'make components' to send to sheet metal parts. Autodesk please consider this as a priority.

by Mentor on ‎01-25-2013 07:05 AM

This is a problem I ran into just yesterday.  I was making a part using multi body function, that in the end result was going to be unioned into a single body, but still the system refused to work it as sheet metal, and I really wanted to flatten it out.  Working from flat pattern to 3D is not a easy as working from 3D to flat pattern.

jvj

by Employee BryanKelley on ‎01-28-2013 02:01 PM
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US5315] is under review by the development team.
by thijs on ‎02-27-2013 09:23 AM

What i like to ad to the sheet metal with multibody is an extra feature to made an extension to the first body and a slot in the other. Then the first one will snap/fit in the second one. Call it position helpers for welding or assembly purposes. Itt`s very usefull if we made sheet metal with laser/water/plasma cutters.

This must be fitted in one feature with an option for a clearence between the two body`s/plate`s.

Looks a bit similar to plastic part design wit a snap fit feature first, and a combine feature aftwerwards. But it should be one feature, combined with clearance option.

by Employee dan.szymanski ‎03-12-2013 01:19 PM - edited ‎03-12-2013 01:26 PM
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US5315]. Thanks!

by MrJoshuaAU on ‎04-08-2013 04:08 AM

Wow this exciting, we may be moving forward with this particular problem.

Cheers Josh

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube