Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
71 Kudos
Doug_DuPont

Solid Body Sheet Metal Parts

by Mentor on ‎11-15-2012 05:07 AM

I want to be able to do Solid Bodies in Sheet Metal ipt's.

Accepted idea [US5315]. Thanks!

Comments
by rptandy on ‎04-19-2013 02:03 PM

YES! I work for a sheet metal job shop, and nothing gives me nightmares like this problem. Having to spend hours to make a mitred corner between two separate parts is ridiculous.

by Mentor on ‎07-11-2013 08:58 PM

This would be a wonderful idea if it's implemented well.

Having the ability to split your part up by way of intersecting planes / surfaces would be sublime.

I also wonder if they plan on implementing this in such a way that would allow for the individual flat patterns to be kept independent of one another while in the drawing. If that is the case, I wonder how they would be tracked / represented.

by millejm85 on ‎05-14-2014 09:08 AM

+1 This is must and has created many times I needed to come up with work arounds.

In my sheetmetal workflow I primarily use a "sheetmetal" part template to have access to some of the features if needed as well as the "Thickness" parameter but will model using the "3D Model" tools using surface extrudes, revolves, sweeps and so on. This creates a master skeleton that sheet metal parts can be derived from and created using Filets at surface joints and Thickens. 

It would be a great addition for skeletal modeling to be able to use sheet metal tools to create multiple bodies that componenets would then be derived from.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube