Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smarter Diameter Dimensions

Smarter Diameter Dimensions

Shouldn't Inventor know that this is a cylinder and should therefore have a diameter symbol? Let's have it pop in there on its own without me having to do an edit text operation on it and manually add it.

Capture.JPG

71 Comments
Cadmanto
Mentor

Mike,

When you insert the dimensions directly from the model into the drawing the Ø comes with the dimension.

But I know what you are saying.  Make the dimension tool more intuitive.

mrattray
Advisor

Scott,

I model for easy editing and configurability. I don't want to have to change my modeling practices to suit drafting requirements, which is what I would have to do in order for my sketch dimensions to be placed in an appropriate place for my drawing using the retrieve dimension command (that is what you meant, right?).

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Hi  mrattray,

If you click the vertical line rather than the the two horizontal lines or two points you should get a diameter symbol as you expect. Is there an improvement to this that you are recommending?

Autodesk Inventor Drawing Diameter Dimension.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

mrattray
Advisor

Curts,

I actually didn't realize that.

I've been in the habit of dimensioning between two edges whenever possible for many years across multiple CAD packages to avoid orphaned annotations after making changes.

It's a pretty minor thing, but I'm suggesting that Inventor extends this functionality to a dimension created between two lines. -OR- Maybe, Inventor can be a little smarter about orphaned annotations so I don't have to dimension between two lines in the first place?

Capture.JPG

Curtis_Waguespack
Consultant

Seems reasonable enough that it could work that way, I'll give it a vote.

mrattray
Advisor

I couldn't come up with an example of where I don't even have a line to grab a diameter at until I finally came across one while detailing real parts. The .984 dimension in the image should have a diameter symbol, but I don't have a vertical edge to select.

Capture.JPG

CelticDesignServices
Collaborator

This would be an example of how my request here for In-Stream modifiers for Dimensions can be of great help.

You'd simply have the option to select the diameter symbol as active, prior to inserting the dimension.

MDS-MQ
Advocate

I would vote for that CDS.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

kevinb
Advocate

Note: If you're dimensioning up a sectioned shaft, there are no real vertical lines for the OD at all, so the vertical option isn't even available then.

kevinb
Advocate

Would it be possible to make a general "project broken corner intersections" option to simplifiy this? 

Normally, the chamfer on the end is just there to break the corner or add a weld groove, as a result the chamfer is small.  Would it be possible to have a button that adds a clickable point at the intersection of any two large lines that meet with a small third taper?

mrattray
Advisor

Kevin, I'm not sure how that would be different from picking the lines. Can you elaborate?

livewire77
Enthusiast

Inventor should recognize this as diameter and automatically place diameter symbol before text. Solidworks can do it.

Diameter.jpg

Tags (2)
jletcher
Advisor

So does Inventor..

Rory_M
Advocate

Unfortunately it doesn't, at least, not automatically. 

If the edge of the right hand view was a single unbroken line then yes it could be done, but the example shown requires the user to pick the two parallel lines and this results in a linear dim with no Ø symbol. You could do it if you brought the dimension through from the model though but that's not always practical.

kevinb
Advocate

Hm, I was thinking if it projected the corners, it could flag them as a single line/cross piece.  Unless you're putting the program on a CNC, the borken corners aren't important to the overall design, it would just take three points (two ends and a center) and view it as a single point to grab.  Visual simplification.

timdown73
Collaborator

Agreed, If you are dragging a dimension from the edge line of a curved surface Inventor should at least give you the option of adding the symbol on the fly.

kevinb
Advocate

You can also do it manually to some degree.

1) Create a centerline between the two edges.

2) Dimension one edge to the center line: (two click operation)

3) Right click and select "linear diameter" under dimension type:

Diameter Override.png

Diameter Override 2.PNG

4) Set center line to invisible.

It's an exceedlingly tedious way to do it if you've got numerous diameters though.

timdown73
Collaborator

Smiley HappyAgreed, not intuitive but good to know. 

kevinb
Advocate

I went ahead and made a suggestion here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report