13 Kudos
stuarts

Smart Components

by Contributor stuarts on ‎04-09-2013 08:27 AM

Create smart components from components that you use frequently that require the addition of associated components and features. Examples:

• A connector with mounting screws, nuts, screw holes, and a cutout
  • A motor with bolts and mounting holes
  • A hinge with mounting screws, screw holes, and recess

Solidworks has this feature and its fantastic.

It would be amazing if Inventor had this, if I could place a part I require into an assembly and the bolts required to fix the part go inautomatically as well as the holes & or cutout required to mount the part  are created in the associated parts it is to be constrained to. 

Why doesn't inventor have this? I can't believe no one has requested this.

Thanks

Comments
by tfuchs on ‎04-12-2013 12:54 AM

Inventor had this feature but only in the Factory Design Suite.

Assets in the Library of Factory Design Suite you can easily insert standard parts or yourself you include the standard parts to create again and again.

It would be nice if this functionality would also be in standard Inventor available.

by Distinguished Contributor DRoam on ‎06-21-2013 07:02 AM

See similar idea here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Parent-modifying-Components/idi-p/3922372

Here's an example of why I still think this feature would be very useful. Below is an image of a pressure vessel we're building with dozens of couplers, nozzles, etc. on it. It would be amazing if I could author MY couplers, nozzles, and any other part to create a cutout or other feature in whichever assembly components I want to participate. That way I would have an accurate model without having to go to each and every coupler, create an associative hole and re-check the associative links often and repair links that have been broken.

Temp.jpg

I experimented with the bolted connections, and while useful, to me it doesn't seem very versatile. I can't choose for the bolt length to be so-much greater than the necessary length. However, the associative link between features at the assembly level and the part level is fantastic, and should be copied exactly to this smart-component application. If I could simply author my bolts (or even better, if the bolts in the Content Center were also authored) as smart components, I'd have much more flexibility and ease of use.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube