18 Kudos
japike

Sketch Coordinate System

by Valued Mentor on ‎12-03-2012 11:58 AM

At times, when editing part geometry, the geometry that the sketch coordinate system is attached to is modified or deleted so the coordinate loses it's definition and must be redefined. On new sketch creation, please attach the sketch coordinate system to the projected part origin.

Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎12-18-2012 01:49 PM

The most stable features are the ones that are built around the part origin.  Never understood why it picks an edge when creating a new sketch.  90% of the time when my sketch is sick it is because of the missing coordinate sys.  When I reapply it, I always choose the projected origin.

by Distinguished Contributor JimSteinmeyer on ‎01-18-2013 02:17 PM

I can's agree more! Please simply use the origin that is already there (the part origin) and stop flipping the part in several directions to create an origin on an edge that may be edited.

by Contributor Duckjae.Lee on ‎07-16-2013 07:03 PM

I strongly recommend your idea.

The irregularly created origin and coordinate sys is inefficient.

Especially try to redefine sketch plane, it makes additional work to place the feature where I want.

Please review below images.

<Orignal Model>

before.png

<Redefined model>

result.png

<What I want>

Want.png

Please recommend and accept this idea.

Jerry

by Contributor G.Hunter on ‎03-24-2014 08:39 AM

Please make this a user defined setting to use either the part centre point and origin axis, or the current system of origins defined by sketch planes. I would suggest default as using the part centre point as it seems to be more robust.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube