Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Line Etch feature

Single Line Etch feature

I need the ability to create single stroke, path text engravings - to "laser" etch part number or stock info onto models.

12 Comments
jhunt107
Enthusiast

What prevents you from doing this now?

1. Sketch
  2. Text
  3. Emboss or Extrude

If you're running into the issue I'm thinking of, would it be solved by a specific FONT that blends each character together like cursive writing?

Josh

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Josh,

As it was communicated to me, our current emboss & extrude text solutions create undesirable thickness.  For example, a lower case "l" will create four line segments when removing the material from the part or solid.  A single line etch would essentially mimic the result of dragging a nail tip across a surface or in the customers case (who escalated this request) a fine point laser burn on a sheet metal part.

I hope this clarifies the request a bit.

jhunt107
Enthusiast

Dan, I see the problem now. Seems that some of the AutoCAD Fonts like SIMPLEX are needed in Inventor.

michael_marx
Advocate

go to acad write your text with ISOCP explode your text with express tools copy paste to inventor sketch! that´s it. I always use this workaround for engraving with CNC machines

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-81679]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017.3. There is a new option called "Convert to Geometry" that is available via right clicking on sketch text.  Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

See here for additional content:

Whats New for Autodesk Inventor 2017.3

jeanie.wayker
Alumni
MechMachineMan
Advisor

Half implemented....

Would have been better to just be able to emboss/"Etch" text/single line in a way that it pushes through to the flat pattern.

IMO, this functionality is really lacking.

I want to be able to etch lines so that our welders can fit things up without a tape measure, and the best way would be to project lines from parts in the assembly into a sketch in the part level and then use those lines directly as etch lines. These would have to show up in the flat pattern drawing, so it would need some way of transferring over.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @MechMachineMan,

Thank you for your feedback.  It would be valuable to us if you would author this request as a new Idea.  Your cool idea / suggestion was not brought forward by any of our alpha & beta partners who reviewed this function long before it released.  Today in Autodesk Inventor 2018, you can create sketch text within your flat pattern environment & convert it to geometry, which allows it to export as .dxf.  However the request to push existing text in the folded model over to the flat would be a new "Idea".  Thanks.

piyushjhaveri1
Contributor

Add options to get Laser etch lines marked. not only Text but also mark it for indicating bends or weldments. 

piyushjhaveri1
Contributor

Currently we use Emboss feature for marking sheet metal, but then there are 2 lines. We need a feature that can just add geometry and mark it as Laser etch. 

nickF2RDL
Explorer

Yes I need this too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report