Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal normal cut

Sheet metal normal cut

The ability to make sheet metal normal cut in one step

13 Comments
wengerbryan
Enthusiast

Myself and many of my colleagues find it incredible that Inventor still does not have a functional normal cut option for sheet metal like Solidworks and Solidedge have long had which is crucial for clean SM flat layouts.  I realize that there are the standard workflows like using derive and thicken to get around this problem but the simple fact of a major gap in SM funtionality still exists.  Please give Kudos to this post and let's make this issue as visible as possible.

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review
This project [US4856] is under review by the development team.
A_Spicer
Contributor

Since joining my current company 7 years ago, and taking over the administration of our design software this is the one request that is a constant every time I ask for feedback to pass onto our reseller and Autodesk. 'Why does Inventor not allow normal cuts'. Please sort and my life will be a little easier. I also understand the above comment and currently use surface, cuts, and thicken to model as required, but it not the obvious or easiest route for many designs. Thank you

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US4856]. Thanks!
IlliniDawn
Contributor

It would be nice if there was a way to create an angled cut normal to the surfaces on a contour flange. Currently when you attempt to create an angled cut the resulting flat pattern consists of multiple angled cuts that a punch tool simply couldn't create. I understand that the cut feature has an option to cut across a bend, however this is not helpful when the contour has multiple bends.

angled cut- inventor.JPGangled cut flat pattern- inventor.JPG

Solidworks however has a command in its sheetmetal cut that allows the user to create a normal cut.  This will give the user the desired continuous angle while being able to flatten and manufacture.

angled cut- SW.JPG

angled cut flat pattern- SW.JPG

Thanks!

Tags (4)
jletcher
Advisor
IlliniDawn
Contributor

Thank you for brining it to my attention.  I've given that comment a Kudos!!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented
This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. A new “Cut Normal” option is now available within the Sheet Metal Cut command within the Sheet Metal environment. When the "Cut Normal" option is enabled, cut profiles will remove material on intersecting faces using a perpendicular face termination. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

denis.bourasseau
Enthusiast

To go further, it would be usefull to have the same function for tubes since laser cutting is getting more and more used.

Marco.Takx
Mentor

Hi Denis,

This is already published to the ideastation.

Notch Feature Option for Laser Cutting

DRoam
Mentor

Hi all. @Koeppel2 made the astute observation that it is just as important to be able to specify "Cut Normal "when creating a Revolve cut.

You can vote for his request for this functionality here: Sheetmetal Cut Normal using a Revolve or Extrude feature.

DRoam
Mentor

Since the idea I linked to in my previous post was archived, I re-opened it here: Sheet Metal: Support "Cut Normal" for more commands (e.g. Hole, Revolve, Sweep, and Loft)

PS, it tends to be really hard to get lots of votes for overly-specific ideas (like "Cut Normal for Loft Command"), so I created it in more general terms and asked people to comment with their order of priority for various commands. The main thing is just to bring awareness to the fact that we need "Cut Normal" in more commands than just Cut. Once enough votes are collected to warrant doing something, the Inventor team can take steps at that point to decide which command(s) to tackle first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report