Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal environment, creating curved edges fold and flange.

Sheet metal environment, creating curved edges fold and flange.

Creating complex sheet metal parts and flat patterns, to create a feature that can benefit

18 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Comments Requested
Hello, could you please provide some additional requirements surrounding this request? Are you asking for a flange or fold that is curved and does not possess a bend line? Do you have any images you can share with us in better understanding your idea? Thanks in advance. -Dan
livewire77
Enthusiast

Hi Dan,

I´m not an author of this idea , but I guess he ment something like this (pictures from SolidEdge) :

Flange.jpg

Flange2.jpg

AJK2010
Enthusiast

Contour Flange Sweep1.jpgContour Flange Sweep2.jpg

Create two sketches, one profile-sketch and one Path-sketch. And then create a Flange Sweep.

Tags (4)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Thanks livewire77, I see now.

In SolidEdge, would you (or anyone) happen to know if you are able to flatten the curved flange (displayed in your top image)?  Also, can anyone share how the top part might get manufactured in the real world (perhaps weld and grind?).  Thanks again! -Dan

erazorzedge
Advocate

If I were to manufacture the top part, I would bend up the two straight flanges on the first part and make a second part that is roll-formed or step-bent to make the S-shape. Then fit, weld, and grind if necessary.

That's given that the part is relatively large and the metal is thick. There are some times that flange we're forming along a radius is only about 0.250" tall and the material is 20ga. or less. In that instance, we use a turning machine that has two wheels, one a vee in and the other a vee out (like a punch and die on a press brake). As you roll the edge through the machine, it turns a flange at about 90°. This obviously deforms the metal, so thicker material and longer flanges tend to warp.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

prem
Enthusiast

Adding a flange on a circular edge and generating a flat pattern, this one of the most common requirements

prem
Enthusiast

inventor.JPG

jyager
Collaborator

That can't be formed in a brake. That's why it's not letting you make a flange or flat pattern.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Dnyaneshwar_Maid
Advocate

Hello Every one,

I posting below my article/forum as "Idea" because not found any easy solution from Forums or from other source

I think with picture you will understand what are my requirements. In Image-1 you can see a plain disc with a vent hole and I want to add flange with circular corner at yellow marked edge (Image-2) as we can do with flange command. But problem with flange command is that I can not select circular edge to add flange on this edge  

362x234-1.jpg

267x227-2.jpg

One solution which I know is draw the profile and revolve it in 3D model (.prt file) but I do not think it is a correct way to add the flange (add two partsor volumes) also we can not add corners and other stuff with one command like we can do in flange or contour flange command. With flange command we can not select circular edges but can select straight edges.

So my Idea is "allow selecting circular edges for Flange command in Inventor Sheet Metal"

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Dnyaneshwar Maid

CCarreiras
Mentor

HI!

I think this will be not possible, as the model will not flatten based in that "ind of bend".

Things like that are not bending, but plastic deformations, and inventor is unable to flat this kind of deformation.

rkeller
Enthusiast

I agree with ccarreiras,

I don't see how you could actually bend something like you are showing.  This is something you could print with a 3d printer or perhaps mold inject but you could not fabricate it with a press out of metal.

Dnyaneshwar_Maid
Advocate

Hello to all,

Thank you to all for considering my Idea and giving time to it.

@CCarreiras here I not considered the process which we need to follow but at the same time I am seen some part which are from Steel sheet metal but I don't which process manufacturer has followed to make it. coming to my point please see the below picture and comments

Below first two picture shows what is my design requirements 

sheet-1.JPGsheet-2.JPG

below pictures show process which I followed to design it. (Pictures are self explaining)

sheet-3.JPGsheet-4.JPGsheet-5.JPGsheet-6.JPG

So below are my comments/reasons to upload in this as Idea

I do not think above process is correct way to add the flange because there are lots of trial and errors we have to do, like for revolving flange at what angle? addition of two volumes which will not give correct weight!! also we can not add corners defaults but done manually. Process is time consuming

If we see flange command in sheet metal we can add flange in one stroke and do not need to folllow above over designing but problem is that we can not select circular edges but can select only straight edges.

Hence and So my Idea is "allow to select circular edges for flange command in Inventor Sheet Metal"

I hope i described it correctly to understand everyone.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Dnyaneshwar Maid

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Idea added to backlog for future consideration [17087]. Thanks!

JamesL012
Observer

Was a solution to this ever found? I am facing a similar issue where I need to create a flange/fold around a curved steel disk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report