Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need ability to share sketch in machining environment

Need ability to share sketch in machining environment

When doing sketches in my parts, I like to include related geometry on one single sketch.  Then share the sketch if needed when I make the different features, i.e, two different tapped hole sizes.  Now in the machining environment, I can't share the sketch the same way.  I have to start a new sketch and project geometry from one sketch to the new sketch.

Makes it difficult later to make changes because you have hunt to find what is controlling the dimensions.

Why NOT have the same workflow?  This also makes it difficult for new users.

17 Comments
LT.Rusty
Advisor

There's a whole bunch of places where the workflows don't match up, and it can get annoying to remember which thing you're in at any given time.  I'd like to see more uniformity in the workflow across the board with Inventor.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-75582]. Thanks!

niksasa
Collaborator

Hello Why not share a sketch in the assembly to perform other operations. I hope it is not difficult to realize or I am mistaken.

JoAnn_Hogan
Collaborator

Assemblies are mainly created to assemble, and parts created to design a part. You would not be able to share a sketch created in the assembly environment, or copy and paste it, or even turn on the visability to re-use it. The 3D modeling commands in the assembly environment is there to create non-complex assembly features. However, you can try to derive the component from a part to re-use it, or you can create a workplane in your assembly environment and project the geometry in order to re-use it.

Please let me know if this helps and if I answered your question please mark as solved.

Kind Regards

Jo

niksasa
Collaborator

Hello  Joann

Suppose there is a welded structure in which welding is done after a lot of holes, cutouts. I want to be able to open public access to the sketch for reuse. See the picture.

ScreenShot 5.jpeg

mikejones
Collaborator

I totally agree with this, it is a pain. My work around is to have one sketch containing all the information I need and reference that sketch geometry in to other sketches. It's a fudge but it works but a fix is better!

felix.koenig
Community Visitor
For me I figured out that the Complete Welding Assembly is not very capable of calculation operatios. If you are in the Machining tab and make a component pattern of a component pattern, my machine totally f*cks up. My workaround is using an Substitute of the welding assembly and make all "machining" operations on the Substitute. Otherwise Inventor is not able to calculate it. Greetings, Felix
Lijnis1
Contributor

Hi I'm working with IV2015. Has this been implemented in IV2016?

And hopefuly also the ability to change the order of machining features in the browser like in a part file...

Lijnis

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

The workflow need in weldments is very apparent.  Accepted idea [US-75582]. Thanks!

jeffsteiger6735
Advocate

Has this been added yet for new versions of Inventor yet? It's still not in v2016, hopefully 2017/2018????

This is EXTREMELY frustrating having to project multiple sketches and a colossal waste of time.

karthur1
Mentor

Its still not in 2018.1x. Maybe it will be added in the near future.

Jielt.Gregoire
Observer

Dear Dan

Where can I find idea "US-75582"?

Best Jielt

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

The recent status changes of many Ideas from "Accepted" to "Future Consideration" is part of an effort that, we hope, allows for more predictability. The general notion that we are striving for, is to mark ideas that are being considered in the near term as "Accepted" and longer term as "Future Consideration". Noting that both "Accepted" and "Future Consideration" ideas exist within our internal database (product enhancement backlog) as being "on our radar" so to speak. We do not claim the legacy and current Ideas process to be perfect, however we are doing all we can to improve upon it.

RNDinov8r
Collaborator

OK...so did anyone notice that in IV2020 there was a glitch, and you could actually do this. But when we moved to 2022, unfortunately the "glitch" had been fixed and that bonus functionality was removed. I am going to say, lets keep voting on this, to get this very useful functionality back.

karthur1
Mentor

There was some discussion about this "Glitch" in the Inventor forum.

Johnson Shiue (AD) came back and said this 

"INVGEN-20576 and INVGEN-37723 were reported as corruption leading to crashes. When the visible sketch points were reused once, it might be Ok. But, it would corrupt the assembly features when it was used more than once. The assembly will become unrecoverable. This is the main reason why it was blocked.

Before assembly shared sketch is fully supported, the proper workflow here is to create a new sketch and project the sketch points from the visible sketch."

The thread was here.

jeffsteiger6735
Advocate

@Johnson Shiue

the proper workflow here is to create a new sketch and project the sketch points from the visible sketch."

Any plans to get it working again? While that is the old work flow/ work around, it sucks as you have edit that new sketch anytime you make changes as all the projections are locked in place

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report