Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select Other - drop down needs moving out of the way please

Select Other - drop down needs moving out of the way please

most of the time the little "Select Other" visual feedback is being blocked by the nice (but often very annoying) little selection box.

lots of people complain and yet we still have it doing the same thing, getting in the way.

can you fix this please? ie move it away a bit, or if user moves it away from geometry attempting to be chosen, then make it stick to where the user manually positions it...

19 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-53056]. Thanks!

DRoam
Mentor

See this thread suggesting an alternate solution to this issue:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Select-other-with-keyboard-button/idi-p/3821633

QuasiMojo
Advocate

It would be very nice if the pop-up menus, particularly the selection menu that appears on hover, did not obscure the very item we are attempting to select.  For instance, when attempting to select a vertex, I place the cursor over the geometry and wait for the selection menu to block it from my sight. Then I have to move it and select.  The fact that there is no way to distiguish which "vertex" is the vertex I want when several are listed is a subject of a different thread I think.DialogHell.gif

QuasiMojo
Advocate

I just found this topic was already covered here  and marked accepted.  Sorry for the redundant post. Send kudos over there instead...

Cadmanto
Mentor
QuasiMojo
Advocate

Yes, it's a similar problem but the mini-toolbar can at least be pinned to a specific location so it doesn't get right under the cursor.  That's about the only thing the mini-toolbar has going for it...it should just be trashed in my opinion.  I think this obscuration problem is more akin to the shotgun appearance of viewing constraints rather than the shoddy implementation of the m-t. 

<rant>All in all, it leaves me with the conviction that Autodesk does not USE their own software; rather, they focus on adding half-baked features that look good in marketing print and shareholder reports.  I suspect the investors matter more than the professionals who pay for subscriptions.  </rant>

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i aggree Quasi. we have been asking for this to be sorted for a while...

Josh_Hunt
Advocate

QuasiMojo, excellent animation to show the issue. Check out this same idea with 70 votes.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Select-Other-drop-down-needs-moving-out-of-the-wa...

QuasiMojo
Advocate

Hi Jhunt107,

Yes, you're right; once I found the post you referenced I tried to direct people over there with the link in my first comment.  It seems no one noticed Smiley Happy

The animated gif was created using an oddly-named but very useful program called LICEcap

Cheers

timdown73
Collaborator

Please implement this idea soon!  This is unacceptable as is and VERY FRUSTRATING.  I don't know how this made it into Inventor without being tested but apparently it wasn't because if it were, this BUG would have been fixed before the selection tool update. 

selection overlap.jpg

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello QuasiMojo, it is amazing what an incredible animated gif can do for an Idea.  🙂

As noted below, this Idea is a duplicate of the following post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/select-other-drop-down-needs-moving-out-of-the-wa...

Please be sure to cast your kudo to the Master Idea as to not split the votes.  Thanks! -Dan

QuasiMojo
Advocate
I did. Long ago.
DRoam
Mentor

See this thread for yet another solution to this issue:

Better Select Other Functionality

Unlike the one I posted above, this one specifically requests doing away with the annoying drop-down box altogether and simply toggling the selection using a keyboard or mouse shortcut.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

robmatthews
Collaborator

Can the fix be rolled back into an SP for 2016 please?

DRoam
Mentor

Hi @dan_szymanski, what change was made to this in 2017? I'm using Inventor 2020.3 and when I use Select Other in an assembly or a part, the box pops up directly under my cursor, obstructing what I'm trying to select:

Select Other 2020.png

Is this a regression from 2017? Or do I need to change a setting somewhere?

JoyceZhou
Autodesk

Hi DRoam,

Could you please help add one video for your workflow and also attach one dataset for the issue?

I could not reproduce it on 2020.3 and the later 2021 build.

Thanks,

Joyce

JarFu
Autodesk

@DRoam, the default time is 2 sec for "Select Other" delay (under Application Options> General), when mouse hover lasts 2 seconds, Select Other box will popup automatically. Please double check if need change this value to bigger.

DRoam
Mentor

Hi Joyce and Jar, thank you for responding. I think I see what the issue is now. Jar mentioned the Select Other delay -- I have this turned up to the maximum (20 seconds) because I don't ever want it to pop up automatically, only when I ask it to via the keyboard shortcut. And it's when using the keyboard shortcut that it pops up directly under the cursor and gets in the way. If I wait for it to show up after the delay, the cursor and Select Other box do indeed correctly jump out of the way a bit.

Please try using the keyboard shortcut to bring up Select Other, rather than waiting for the delay, and see if you can reproduce the issue that way. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report