Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backwards Compatibility!!!

Backwards Compatibility!!!

Ok, it's really simple idea wise. CLEARLY there is a way to make it go forward, and even Microsoft caved when they changed from the Doc to Docx format to allow older versions of Word to view/edit things. Are you telling me that the difference between 2017 and 2016 is THAT big, that there is no POSSIBLE way for someone with 2016 to view some assembly drawings made from a 2017? Because believe it or not, school districts don't always have the money to upgrade, and even when getting training for Project Lead the Way, when we're doing our virtual collaboration project, we have two people with different versions that are a year apart, and of course, we can't share stuff because of this planned obselencece. And before the counter argumetns of "it's complciated to do", Solidworks managed to do it: http://blog.capinc.com/2015/11/the-future-is-back-previous-version-interoperability-returns-for-soli... It's not perfect, but can't we at least be able to VIEW the thing, if not directly edit it? Surely there is something that can be done.

18 Comments
Curt1985
Explorer

Please add the option to export or save to a earlier version of Inventor.

sam_m
Advisor
hagiographa
Enthusiast

An option to "Save As" older version of Inventor (specify which release) - similar to AutoCAD would be very handy.

Tags (2)
niksasa
Collaborator
steve.west
Advocate

I'm guessing this is nothing new, but here goes.

Not everyone can afford subscription or upgrades.

Our laser cutters are still on Inventor 2014 so I have now to submit STEP files for them to work from (for folded parts), where previously I could send them native IPT files. This is something of an inconvenience to me (a subscription customer) and also for them (even though they are only using last year's version).

I can send them DWGs for flat parts and do a 'save as' to convert right back to ACAD R12 if required. How difficult would it be to incorporate the same functionality into Inventor? Even if we could only do it for IPT files it would be a major advantage. I appreciate there would be some loss of data on occasion, but if I can save as formats to suit competitors software (CATIA, Pro-Engineer) and import from even more, why can't we have cross-compatibility with people using the same software as us?

Tags (5)
jtylerbc
Mentor

I agree that this would be useful, even if it had some kind of limitations (only importing as a base solid, limited to importing features that existed in the previous version, etc.)

There is a bit of twisted humor here in that your suppliers would have to upgrade to get this feature if it was added. . .

JLeeSaxon
Enthusiast

Absolutely 10,000% this is one of the biggest missing features in Inventor. AutoCAD can do this going back to the '90s for goodness' sake, you'll never convince me they can't give us at least a couple years back in Inventor. Without a "base solid" limitation (though yes, of course, some things would have to be stripped out or at least cease to be parametric).

jtylerbc, suppliers would not have to upgrade. Only the person SAVING the file would need a new feature. That's the whole point.

jtylerbc
Mentor

JLeeSaxon - You're right, I was thinking more in terms of the older software being able to IMPORT the newer version, rather than the newer version EXPORTING the older version.

I think that the missing part of my logic was something like this - if the sender with the later version of the software has to go "save down" all the files that are being submitted, is that really any less work than the STEP export?  It's possible that it saves the reciever some time, but the submitter still has to convert all the files to the older version, so it doesn't save him much.

steve.west
Advocate
Not really applicable. I'm talking about the ability to save as native Inventor files, not a STEP file compromise.
_DanSolo_
Advocate

It will never happen, none on the competitors do it. They all count on everybody being bound to the built in obsolescence....this is where they make their money. Also the reason why software companies salivate of the notion of cloud based services. It is guaranteed recurring revenue for them. Every user effectively becomes a permanent subscription.

mcgyvr
Consultant

All Autodesk software is FREE to schools,students, and teachers....

If the schools/teachers/students were to take advantage of that and always stay up to date there is no issue..

http://www.autodesk.com/education/home

brotherkennyh
Advocate

You may be correct that the software is free to these groups. However, is Autodesk going to pay for the staff to install the new software every year? Staffing costs for the management of these systems are not cheap.

I happen to agree backward compatibility should be allowed. Has how the file saves extrusions for example changed over the years? I appreciate new features are introduced, but if there isn't one of the new features in the file why can't is be accessed by a previous version. If there is a new feature perhaps sections of the file could be opened as a base solid?

One option of course would be to follow suite with AutoCAD and not have a new file type every year.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report