Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part View Reps that control face apearances

Part View Reps that control face apearances

Currently part view reps can control part appearances, but they only affect every face of the part.

I would like them to respect the face appearance overrides that I assign too. 

An example: Color the inside of a sheetmetal electrical enclosure white and the outside some other set of colors.  Then use the part view rep to control the enclosure color in an upper level assembly

See http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/inventor-2014-part-view-reps/m-p/6300655#M...

13 Comments
Roelof.Feijen
Advisor

I would like to save colored surfaces in view representations of parts.

When designing plastic parts we mark surfaces with colors. These colored surfaces must undergo a special surface treatment. We make drawings of these parts for subcontractors. The colored surfaces indicate that the subcontractor needs to finish these surfaces with a particular surface treatment.

We do not want to appear the colored surfaces in our parts we use in assemblies. For that reason it would be useful if view representation could save colored surfaces.

kevinb
Advocate

I think if you set the representation of a part to be a specific representation within a view you can force an override on the assembly level.

IE: you make a new view and label it "face treatments" or whatever, make your color corrections and lock the view.  When assembling, right click the object within the browser and go to Representation and uncheck "associative" you can make the changes at the assembly level without applying any changes to the part itself.

ENRAD
Advocate

It would be great if one can modidie sheet metal thicknes with surface treatment, i.e if the resulting part should be powdercoated etc, since it affects the measurments on the part.

This should be a part of the parts properties.

The result would be that, if I assign a part to be powder-coated, the thicknes of the sheet metal is modified in accordance with the standard used.

Also, at the same time, a RAL-colour number could be assigned to the part, giving it the "correct" appearance.

swalton
Mentor

I forgot to add, I should be able to control these part view reps in the ipart table too.

jtylerbc
Mentor

I would love to have this as well.  We often have a "Color Coded" representation that varies part colors to make them easier to distinguish on a drawing, and a "Painted" representation that is intended to look realistic.  For parts that are painted one solid color this works fine.  For parts that are machined, or which have a face painted a different color from the rest, it is a pain.

steinar_sorem
Advocate

This is exactly what we need as a product engineering company with configurable parts. Autodesk, this do we need!!

BR

Steinar Sørem

Kongsberg Maritme

DRoam
Mentor

Related idea: A real surface treatment/finish/coating (paint) tool. This could be used to apply and document various surface treatments as well as coatings and paint colors. These would be applied to the part itself "physically", not just as View Rep overrides.

SEC_CAD
Collaborator

I need to use colour to identify surfaces in a part view rep for display in a DWG:

• Identify core and cavity (draft) See here
  • Identify which surfaces are to be textured/polished
  • Identify keep out areas (no die ID, no date stamps, no gates, not ejector pins here)
  • Identify shutoff faces
  • Identify sliders
  • Identify heat treatment faces
  • Identify areas of possible change
  • etc.

I am currently trying option 2 from this work-around. But the problem with work arounds is that they are unmaintainable. In six months I'll never remember why I created several derived part files for the same part.

Option 1 is not possible for me because I have to communicate with my toolmaker using STEP files and they don't accept multi-body parts.

karolis.s
Advocate

Reversed assignment of appearance might be an option for some of you if you need to add single appearance to your solid body. It depends on the bodies complexity as well. Most likely it will not be convenient without a programmed script.

Remember origin appearance. Change appearance in a new view for a whole body and color faces which should have origin appearance.

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@swalton @karolis.s @SEC_CAD @DRoam @steinar_sorem We provide finish feature in Inventor 2024, and the appearance can be assigned to the individual face as feature, which can be captured in model state. Does it work for you to use the model state + finish feature solution for your idea? Thank you!

steinar_sorem
Advocate
I don`t know as we are using Autodesk PDMC 2023

s\
Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This has been addressed via finish feature, which is available in Inventor 2024. Please access the page for more details.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-B19D3619-0128-4C19-A1F1-98D418D1E0A9

Many thanks!

michwmichw
Participant

I love the new Finish tool.  I think this solves the problem myself and others in this thread have experienced.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report