Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Representation View and Drawing features

Representation View and Drawing features

I'd like several improvements to Representation View and the Drawing environments.

1) Frequently, when I've got a complex assembly in a drawing and I need various things turned invisible, I'll go through the drawing environment so that I can immediately see the effects of turning a part/subassembly invisible.  I'd like to be able to export these visibility selections to the assembly/presentation as a new/updated Representation View without having to go and create a new View through the assembly environment.  (I've noticed that the Rep:View doesn't always work properly and that you have to select a different view to get it to update properly).

2) Place Component View.  An automatically generated Rep:View which turns off all other parts/subassemblies and centers the part so that I can detail out cuts/changes that I made to individual components without having to go use a bunch of manually entered item numbers under Base Views of the individual ipt files.  This would allow me to make drawings like this without having to go digging around for a bunch of ipt/iam files.  It would also allow me to balloon and reference the individual item from within the top level iam.  In addition it would allow me to maintain a consistent item number list with the legacy parts list tools without having to go and manually change all of the part numbers to match.  See here.

3) Allow inclusion of sections that are done within the part/assembly/presentation environments.  This should allow for the 3/4 section or whatever without having to create three or views just to get the angle you want.  Or multilevel assemblies where you want to show different stages of concentric layers or something.  Like this.

3 Comments
PaulMunford
Autodesk
Have you seen this workaround for creating single part views from inside an assembly? http://www.blh.com.au/blog/4572268941/Making-Inventor-drawings-more-'AutoCAD-like'/7124670
kevinb
Advocate

I had not seen that work around.  Thank you.  I still think it should be supported from standard assemblies though as only allowing it through weldments seems obtuse (personally, I didn't use weldments because our fabricators are dim, but not so dim that they don't know to weld two beams together, and we're small enough not to need to keep track of how many welding rods we go through).  I'll try and play with the weldment tool to see if I can get it to do what I want.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes.

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report