Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace Sketch References

Replace Sketch References

When there is a lost reference (projected geometry), I would like the option to replace it.

Right now, you have to delete it, select new one, AND then reconstrain.

For the picture below (just to simulate my complaint), I modeled a box, and then created a cut extrusion through it (the circle).  After doing so, I decided to split the box in half, making upper half a solid body, and the lower half a separate solid body. The lost reference is in magenta.

I understand that the reference rightfully is lost, but I want to be able to repair it. Yes, this particular model would be an easy fix, but complex parts could be a pain, ESPECIALLY in top down modeling where there is lots of referencing going on.

Lost Reference.JPG

11 Comments
karthur1
Mentor
stuartmp
Advocate

I agree, but in this case can you not just break the link on the projected geomerty then re-project it and re constrain it.

I agree is a lot of work but you can recover your model.

I to would like to see a option to recover this lost projected geomerty as well, but at the end of the day you will probably be clicking about the same amout to fix it as inventor needs to know each point you need to re-define etc.

ljordan
Advocate
Stuartmp, yes this one wouldn't be bad, but depending on the geometry and how many dimensions, you are stuck with either a lot of re-dimensioning or redundant geometry. I like Inventor ten times better, but one nice thing about Pro/E is that when sketch geometry is lost, you can redirect all constraints and dimensions to a new reference with one click.
stuartmp
Advocate
Wow, I had no idea that Pro/E had a method of resolving detach dimensions.

I stopped doing skeletal modeling due to all the problems that occur when you encounter un-referenced geometry.

The problem gets even worse when you are linking parameters and some of you dimensions lose their reference. It such a pain like you said to fix it up / re attach.

--
Sent from my HTC desire Mobile Phone
DRoam
Mentor

FYI, see a related request here: Redefine sketch should be keep associativity of projetced curves

These two ideas address two very important needed functionalities. The one I linked to is for "Redefine Sketch" to not lose projected references. This applies when the RECIPIENT (sketch) changes.

The other (this one) is for the ability to manually re-define projected sketch references. This applies to when the SOURCE (original projected geometry) changes.

ljordan
Advocate

Thanks, DRoam.

I checked out the idea and gave it some kudos.

I agree with you. The redefine sketch and keep previous references is much needed functionality as well.

AttilaFarkas
Advocate

Hi,

Great Idea, I gave my KUDO and thanks for the KUDOS for mine.

Regards,

Attila Farkas

DRoam
Mentor

Here is Fusion's solution for this, added in an update just a few days ago: YouTube: QUICK TIP: Fix Lost Sketch Projections.

F.Steinhorst
Enthusiast

If Inventor lost the link to the projected geometry (curve, line and so on), it would be very nice to have the ability to remap the line to a new geometry without loosing added measures.

In example:

- click the sketchline with right mous click

- select "remap geometry"

- select the new geometry

- the line would be edited and add to the new geometry as projected line and takes over its size and position and so on.

(only possible for line to line and circle to circle and if the line would not change in axes)

Yes, this is a very useful feature that exists in Creo. Have recently moved back to Inventor from Creo and miss this "replace sketch entity" functionality. Tedious having to redraw and redefine associated references.

NOEL_GETTINGBYCZTUC
Contributor

+1 for this idea. The inability to relink/reroute/replace sketch references/projections is definitely one of the most frustrating things about Inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea