Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projected Origin in Sketch

Projected Origin in Sketch

When a new sketch is created, it will automatically project the origin as a point.  But, this point could be deleted and any contraints that use this orgin point will be broken.  It would be nice to see this origin point always be available.  You could have a way to hide it, like contraints, but it can't be deleted.

3 Comments
jtylerbc
Mentor

The user base at my company is predominantly made up of users new to Inventor.  One of the most common questions I get is "I deleted the origin in my sketch, how do I get it back?"  This usually is the result of a box-selection for deleting sketch geometry, and the user didn't notice he had the origin selected until later.

While fixing it is easy (Project Geometry), it is a point of confusion and disruption for new and infrequent users.  The origin point causes no ill side effects I'm aware of, so I don't see any reason that it needs to be deletable.  Making it indestructable would be a nice change that would eliminate some frustration from new users.

LT.Rusty
Advisor

Might also make it easier to recover sketches, too.  I've had plenty of sketches that somehow lost their plane, and when I redefined / recovered them, they came in at some insanely wrong orientation.  If that origin point were defined as an origin point, when the sketch is recovered, it should snap back to the correct position.  Might still have to rotate ... but that'd still be a lot easier than the way it is now.

jellynicecream
Observer

Hi I'm a Solidworks user of ~10 years who's considering switching to Inventor, I've been trialling Inventor and have accidently deleted the origin when deleting sketch geometry, something that's not possible in Solidworks.

I cant think under what circumstances I'd want to delete the origin!

Also the project origin on new sketch does not appear to work in assemblies which is both confusing and counter productive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report