Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevention of New Sketch from Rotating 180°

Prevention of New Sketch from Rotating 180°

There needs to be a setting in the sketch portion of the application options that prevents the viewing plane when starting a new sketch from rotating 180°.  This is very annoying when the view you are picking and wanting to sketch to is rotated.

15 Comments
sps_cad_guy
Advocate
I whole heartedly agree with this. It is very annoying and time consuming.
jletcher
Advisor

This is an easy fix also.

When I make a sketch I finish edit then right click on it select edit coordinate system and change the X and Y to what I want when I edit that section of my part. Missed one thing make sure you don't start drawing on the new sketch till you set the coordinates or it will rotate everything.

Your idea is great  as long as they don't take out my step.

easy fix for them would be to look at the face before you start the sketch and Inventor would know up is Y and X is to the right.

Just don't take out my edit coordinate system I like to work with my views the way it is in the assembly the rotate would not give me that all the time but my fix for them would Smiley Wink

Cadmanto
Mentor

James,

I hope they don't either.  I am sure that this can easily bee accopmplished to apease both.

I am going to try what you have written about in the AM, just so I can put a visual to what you are describing.  Smiley Happy

jletcher
Advisor

Just to give you heads up if it is the 1st sketch use the axis to move the X and Y if you have a base you can use the edge.

swalton
Mentor

ProE/Creo has a nice workflow for setting sketch coordinate systems.

When you create a sketch, ProE calls up a dialog box with settings for the sketch plane and two boxes for the sketch orientation.  Pro populates the boxes with its best guess for how you want to orientate the sketch.  You can select new geometry to overwrite Pro's guesses if you want. 

I like this because I can either accept the ProE guess or overwrite it without leaving the sketch setup command. 

Cadmanto
Mentor

It has been a couple of years since the last time I used Pro-E, but the thing I liked was you would pick the left of right side (yellow vs red) of the "Y" plane and the top or bottom of the "X" plane to setup your orientation.  Some I worked with got confused by that at times.  I thought it was a pretty good system myself.

swalton
Mentor

Yep, if you pay attention to how your model is positioned when you define the sketch, you can predict how ProE will define the orientation and not have to overwrite it.

I have found lots of things I like about ProE in terms of reference control that I wish IV did too. 

Redefinign projected sketch geometry instead of just breaking the link?  Move all constraints from one reference to another with one command? 

Cadmanto
Mentor

James,

I tried your suggestion and it worked well.  I see why you don't want it eliminated, but I would still like to see a good blend of both.

ic198
Advocate

My fix for this problem is to always sketch on a workplane and to flip the normal of the plane if the sketch is the wrong way up (right-click on the plane in the browser and select flip normal). This doesn't work if sketching on Origin planes so in this case I create a plane with 0 offset and flip that. I have saved a plane like this into my new Part template as the XZ plane was always wrong for the coordinate system I use.

My workflow is-

Create plane

Start sketch on that plane

If sketch rotates wrong way, exit sketch and flip plane's normal

Continue sketch

As jletcher says, you need to flip the normal before starting sketchin (and before using the plane for anything else e.g. trimming)

I'm going to try jletcher's method as well, see how it goes.

jletcher
Advisor

Yes Cadmanto I agree both would be nice....

It would save a few of those clicks I hate LOL....

mrattray
Advisor

This is simple, just orient the right plane sketch axis orientation out of the box to the way that anyone who is familiar with the concept of orthographic projection would expect in the first place. As opposed to, let's flip everything around so that your applying vertical constraints to horizontal lines...

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

jamjumpin
Advocate

This has been added many times to the idea station. I think a lot of people are annoyed by this. 

rptandy
Contributor

I have never used ProE, but I like the solution that is described by swalton.

I don't want to have to change the coordinate system after creating a sketch, nor do I want to always do it at the creation of the sketch. Having the software make an educated guess, show me what it's planning on doing, and allowing me to change it immediately gets my vote.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented
This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. Two new settings have been added to the Application Options - Display tab: 1) Perform Minimum Rotation rotates the sketch at a minimum angle to make the sketch plane parallel with the screen and make the X axis of the sketch coordinate system horizontal or vertical. 2) Align with Local Coordinate System orients the X axis of the sketch coordinate system horizontally/right positive, and the Y axis vertically/up positive. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report