Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precise View Rotation - another look at it in Modeling...

Precise View Rotation - another look at it in Modeling...

A form of this idea was submitted a few years ago and perhaps archived.

This is a different take on it with

• a narrow implementation for view navigation purposes only.
  • See image for explanation about the Orbit command enhancement.

Just an idea, that people can put kudos on if they like it.

Thanks,

Bill

16 Comments
crmayo
Advocate

If I look at the face of a model, I can rotate the view by 90 degrees if it’s in line with a default plane. Currently in order to rotate to an exact degree other than 90 I have to set up a new ucs and look at the correct plane.

At a minimum I would like to be able to have the ability to rotate the model in preset increments that the user can specify. I would be ideal if you could rotate this model in preset increments regardless of the xy xz or yz planes.

rotate2.JPG

Tags (4)
ChelseaK_D3
Enthusiast

It would be really great to have the Precise View Rotation in the Part and Assembly environment especially to create View Representations. Here is a picture of it when you can customize drawing views:

Precise View Rotation.jpg

Tags (2)
crmayo
Advocate
asiu
Advocate

In assembly mode we have the "Free Move" and "Free Rotate" commands. I would like them to be developed to be able to have an option to do a precise move, similar to the one available in Sketch mode.

Yes, I do know I should be using constraints, but I am working with imported electronic assemblies (using the IDF interface) and components are coming grounded to the PCB part. There are hundreds of these components on each board. This is during the development stage, when importing PCB assemblies, making changes, and pushing them back to the PCB designers are frequent. (the final imported PCB assembly will be just constraint to chassis).

For making changes, one needs to move components in a grid equal with the one used on the PCB design software.

The existing workflow is to un-ground the component => create constraints to the PCB => modify the values of the constraints.

The new workflow would be to un-ground the component => move with the desired increment.

It may seem like a trivial time gain, but there are situations where you may want to move several components with the same increment. (there are workflows and work-arounds I use right now for groups of components, like demote them into a sub-assembly, move, then bring them back to the main assembly).

I feel that having this option is not conflicting with using constraints. I strongly suggest for all users to do use constraints when modelling assemblies, but there are exceptions to the rule that favor certain work-flows.

Please vote if you feel you can benefit from this improvement. Thank you.

Tags (4)
DRoam
Mentor

@asiu, have you tried the Grip Snap tool? It does have a very odd, un-intuitive name, and it may be hidden under a menu, but it allows moving components a precise distance like you described. Even the command itself is not very intuitive to work with, but it does work.

It's under the Assemble tab --> Position panel, same as the Free Move and Free Rotate commands. But it may be where you have to open the "Position" drop-down. If you use it often, you can right-click it and move it to the main panel.

Give it a try if you haven't already and see if it does what you need Smiley Happy

asiu
Advocate

@DRoam

Thank you for the suggestion, I was actually looking into "Grip Snap" the other week having high expectations...

It can do everything but to move the component with a given increment (say 0.025" on X and 0.050" on Y).

I won't mind if in addition to the "Grip Snap" we'll have a "Grid Snap", where all components can only move on a preset grid. Actually this will make my life a lot easier... I should probably create a new idea for the "Grid Snap", otherwise it will be not visible here.

Thanks again! Smiley Happy 

sales
Enthusiast
I second this request. It could come in handy when trying to design text or graphic element placement on objects. For example, if you rotate something and want to see how text looks as it rotated. I'm currently working on something where this would be very nice. A good place to implement it would be to take the already existing 90 degree rotation arrows, in the upper right hand corner, and allow you to command or ctrl click in order to manipulate or enter a rotation angle.  Thank you. 
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk

inv.ideareview
Autodesk

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes.

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that
pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

asiu
Advocate

@Bill_Bogan1

Hi,

You merged my idea with the exact view rotation, which is not the case.

My suggestion was to exact "move" and "rotate" of geometry in an assembly rather than an exact view orientation.

Thank you,

Adrian

nathan.geringswald
Contributor

Autodesk DOES NEED a method of rotating a part inside of the assembly environment.  "Free Rotate" is so unusable , it is ridiculous. This isn't "arts and crafts".  Trying to operate an OEM here. Several competing CAD packages allow this. I'm surprised they were considering tabling this idea, since it appears policy is wait for "votes", when this is one of many reasons we are needing to gain back over 5-6 man-hours per person, per week. These "trivial" functions can add up significantly to any group who is designing and building up complex assemblies with hundreds of parts, with various part & assembly orientations throughout...

For changing the part orientation, 2 mouse clicks and an entry with no view change, versus over 6 plus 6 view changes in Inventor.  Without the 3Dconnexion mouse, this would give us an even higher time penalty. \

SER4
Collaborator

Also please be able to use arrow keys to precisely rotate/orbit!  I think all other CAD programs already do this...not just panning (e.g. hold Ctrl and tap arrow keys to orbit 7.5 degrees).

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2021.2. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

Please review the Inventor 2021.2 What's New article here, for more information regarding how you may leverage it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report