Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bring back "open dwg" from model tree and view RMB option

bring back "open dwg" from model tree and view RMB option

in the 2012 release there was a RMB option to open a dwg belonging to the clicked part when selected directly from the assembly tree. Similarly it was possible to open the dwg by right-clicking on a part in the assembly window view and selecting this option. 

You have decided to remove this functionality int he 2014 release, and now it is only possible to open the dwg of the top level part/assy. Opening the dwg of a part in the tree can only be achieved by first having opened it (not by editing in assy). 

This more time consuming and not a very comfortable way of working. 

In addition, the likely workaround of adding the "open dwg" button or function to the ribbon or the marking menu is of no use. You can add the button but it doesn't locate the file. Instead it only opens the last directory opened. (Similar to wanting to open a dwg that doesn't exist.) 

Please re-enable the open dwg function properly. It is often much easier to visually locate a component rather than having to plow through all the names in a part list trying to find the component you needed.

With kind regards, 

Misha
16 Comments
crmayo
Advocate

I also liked the previous location - we are using 2013.

Inventor moved “open drawing” in the model tree. 

open drawing model tree1.png

And in the working window after a right click:

open drawing working window2.png

Personally, I just changed my marking menu after a right click:

open drawing marking menu.png

ASCO-engineering
Advocate

Hi crmajo,

Thanks for pointing this out. In the meantime I did find the location had been moved to component>open drawing. But i had not noticed the open drawing option in the marking menu. Instead i had used "open dwg", which is just for autocad dwg files. I've switched to "open drawing" and that works fine.

Cheers,

Misha

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i mentioned this as well. i got a lame response... from QA stating "it is as they designed it to be!"

gave up asking and i just ended up mapping a button to my 3d mouse. poor effort from autodesk...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/open-drawing-moving-commands-around/idi-p/3792053

jdmarais1
Explorer

"Open Drawing" in the assembly environment, is one of the most often used commands. 

It improves productivity when designers can access their part details directly from assembly environment.

The "Open Drawing" command is now hidden away in Inventor 14. It was previously visible emmediately on the right click mouse button.

Please restore this command to its former position of glory and not 1 level down as per Inventor 14.

jletcher
Advisor

Now come on you know they are working on 100 clicks to do a single command..

mflayler2
Advisor

Easy Customization of the Marking Menu...maybe an already semi customized CTRL RMB out of the box is in order instead of it being empty.10-15-2013 8-50-04 PM.png

jletcher
Advisor

What about those that don't use the useless marking menu?

mflayler2
Advisor

Your opinion...

This is a viable useable solution right now to the OP intent to make the Open Drawing command more accessible.  And it does it right at your center of focus in canvas instead of having to go to the Browser Bar each time and dig not only for the component but then to right click and then find it either the old way or the new not so easy to grab way.  I asked Autodesk about why they moved it and the response was that too many people used it incorrectly or didn't even know it was there so it was moved down.

Realistically, I would like the option to start a new drawing from a component if no new Drawing is found with this command.  Right now it only looks for a linked file and then if none is found you have to look for it.  Why not an option to begin a new drawing with the component selected as the Base View reference for placement?  That would be a nice enhancement here.

jletcher
Advisor

Now that I agree on.

And all they have to do is put the new button in the dialog window..

jdmarais1
Explorer
Thank you for your feedback and idea's. Regards Cobus

Sent from my iPhone
SteveMDennis
Autodesk

Mark said: I asked Autodesk about why they moved it and the response was that too many people used it incorrectly or didn't even know it was there so it was moved down.

I'm interested in who told you that! That is not true at all. (I'm the one who moved it per our UX guys direction). It was moved because the "root" context menu is very very long and getting longer. Everyone (users and UX guys) wants their options at that top level. We needed to shorten it a bit. Open Drawing is logically a component command because it opens the drawing for that component. This is why UX decided to move that one in 2014. As pointed out you can customize to bring it back up.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support
This request has been posted several times (3 total to date that I was able to locate). It would appear some do not agree with the UX decision to move the "Open Drawing" command. As such, I am tagging the link below as the Master Idea that we will use to track this moving forward. Please be sure to visit the Master Idea and cast your kudo there if you would like to see this implemented. Thanks! -Dan http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/bring-back-quot-open-dwg-quot-from-model-tree-and...
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report