Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
97 Kudos
Carl_mgfx

Please add "Replace Selected"

by Valued Contributor Carl_mgfx on ‎08-14-2013 07:15 AM

I've searched the Idea Station but didn't find something quite like this with replace (although I did find a lot of requests to change the replace functionality)

When replacing a component, the only options available are "Replace" and "Replace all".  This can be troublesome when trying to replace only a few items and not all of them e.g. 4 out of 8 dowels.

So to illustrate here is an example:

If you want to replace 4 out of 8 dowels you will have to repeat the "Replace" operation 4 times, as "Replace all" would obviously replace all 8.

If there was the option of “Replace selected”, you could have selected the 4 dowels and replaced them in 1 step.

This is an efficiency enhancement that would make many designers lives much easier! 

Accepted idea [US21209]. Thanks!
Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎08-14-2013 08:21 AM

I think that is simply the way "Replace" should work, rather than adding a seperate menu item for a "Replace Selected" option.  I can't tell you the number of times I've been working in an assembly and selected a set of parts I wanted to replace, only to find Replace missing from the menu.

It seems so obvious to me that it should work that way, that even after all the years I've been using this program, I can still forget that it doesn't do that. 

by Valued Contributor guido66 on ‎08-15-2013 02:02 AM

I gave my kudos, but it should work exactly like jtylerbc explains.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎08-17-2013 04:47 PM

Great Idea!!!

by Distinguished Contributor robmatthews on ‎08-19-2013 08:26 PM

There is a work-around, as you'd expect.

Demote all the selected occurrences, open the new assy, replace all, and then promote them all again. Then delete the new assy.

This is awkward and can be cumbersome, and should not be necessary.

by jdmarais1 on ‎10-14-2013 11:24 PM

Productive idea !!!

by Employee ‎11-05-2013 08:26 AM - edited ‎11-05-2013 08:27 AM

If we just supported multiple selection for "replace" wouldn't that work?

i.e. you pre-select the things you want to replace and then choose the existing replace cmd and it replaces them all? That doesn't require a new menu entry or a change to workflow really.

Only question I can think of is should we make all pre-selections be of the same document/file or can you replace dissimilar things with one new thing?

Would you really need to replace several bolts that are currently different with a new bolt?

by kevinb on ‎12-27-2013 02:18 PM

Agreed, multi-select support should be the default.

by Employee on ‎01-16-2014 11:43 AM
Status changed to: Accepted

by Employee on ‎01-16-2014 12:39 PM
Status changed to: Accepted
Accepted idea [US21209]. Thanks!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube