Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please fix and improve the drawing table behaviors in inventor

Please fix and improve the drawing table behaviors in inventor

There are many things about Inventor drawing tables I'd like to see some change for years:

1. For all kinds of drawing tables (parts list, rev table, etc.) in inventor, if you want to set the height of a row, you need to set the row gap value, such mechanism inventor used to decide the row height is cumbersome, why not just use ROW HEIGHT, when people wants to have a row height of 7mm, then just set 7mm, not having to calculate the stupid formula of "row height = text size + row gap * 2".

2014-05-10_21-09-25.png

2. Having to calculate that formula is fine actually, as long as it is reliable, I see rev table and general table and other tables share the same mechanism. However, why is it changed for the parts list? For god's sake, it is such a mystery for people to find out the real mechanism to setparts list row height, which I heard is "row height = 4.623 + row gap * 2" for 3.5mm font size. Not a word in the inventor help system ever said this, so people have to try again and again to get a close row height to their company standard. Please just make it consistent with other tables.

2014-05-10_22-00-53.png

3. It is more ridiculous that, the row gap value will also apply to the "column gap", every time when I need to prepare the drawing templates for our customers, it make me frustrating. I never get the idea here, why on earth should the row gap value also apply to the "column gap"? It always make texts which should have fit the cell in a single line ends up wrapped to 2 lines. The only thing you can do in such situation is to use smaller font size or smaller font width, compromising customer's company standard. From what I can found in this forum, this is a long existing problem, submitted years ago, but just like a Chinese idiom said, like a stone dropped into the sea, no echo ever. Please fix it!

2014-05-10_22-05-03.png

2014-05-10_20-19-51.png

2014-05-10_20-41-14.png

4. Where can we set the row height for the title? Can we? It is so obvious that the title also need a row height setting! Without it every time I ever need a title row for a revision table or else, I have no choice but to put that title row in the border definition, or a skeched symbol.

5. Lineweight setting for parts list, I saw it for the revision table and general tables, but why is it missing for the parts list?

2014-05-10_21-10-12.png

I find many posts before about these problems in this forum, please just fix it! I think it it not good to tell our customer again and again that, "We need to change our company standard a litte bit, because Inventor cannot do that!"

Some posts I find, I think there are more:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/How-to-set-parts-list-row-height/m-p/2278832#M303567
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Revision-table-row-heights/m-p/2049008#M268485
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Line-weights-in-Parts-List/m-p/2454186#M335964

8 Comments
j.peterszetapdm
Contributor

Hi we have various tables and parts lists we use on our drawings and all use the same text styles and spacings etc. However when a Parts List is positioned next to a General Table (image attached) you can clearly see that none of the rows are at the same heights. The General Table seems to work as expected for the Row Heights based off of the text heights and gaps etc, but the Parts List is just completely out. Is there a way to get them to match if not we think its something that would be a benefit.

Tags (3)
anne
Community Visitor

good idea!

timdown73
Collaborator

Agreed!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hello j.peterszetapdm,

Although your Idea was authored earlier, I am closing it as a Duplicate of the following Idea:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/please-fix-and-improve-the-drawing-table-behavior...

Please visit it and cast your cudo as to not split votes for this request.  Thanks! -Dan

PaulMunford
Autodesk

I had an email to say that this idea has been accpted - great job everyone!

Don't stop giving this idea Kudos, we need to take it to the front of the que 😉

Paul

headup
Explorer

What status for now? Still nothing ?

j.peterszetapdm
Contributor

Has anyone managed to get the tables to perform exactly as expected yet? I'm still finding it frustrating when ever I need to create a new set of styles for a new clients borders. Can we just have a row height option so the height of the cells are not driven directly from the font height? or have a baseline justification on all font styles, then use that for the row gaps and not the bottom/top/middle of the extents of the characters that hang or stickout beyond the font height?

Doesn't seem like a lot to ask for it to work so that 2mm font height plus a row gap of 1 each side to give a row height of 4mm?

headup
Explorer

Any news about this ? I want set fixed row height!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report